110cc thumpstar loncin gearbox problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dime_megga

Reaction score
Hi all, was just wondering if you guys can share some knowladge with me

i have picked up a thumpstar for 200$ it was running like a dream got it off an old mate, he only sold the bike because he had to pay off his un-needed "iPHONE"

now after about a month of riding, i have noticed that sometimes i put her into 3rd or 4th, and put the throttle back on, and i find her in netrual then i just give it the smallest tap and she goes into gear again, im not a gearbox hog, i treat it really gently but still seeming like its starting to give way on me

is this normall?

should i be a bit harder on it when i change?

is it time for a rebuild?

i have no clue....

Also, when i put oil into the gearbox it leaks, i think it needs gasket goo or somthing like that, but it still seems to be lubed, as it doesnt grind or run hot, it just leaks

is that bad, or can a little gasket goo fix her for good ?

please help

thanks guys much appreciated

-Corey.

P.S sorry for the misspellings n all, im verrrryrrrrryyyy tired :(

Last edited:
Where's it leaking from ? ... If it's from the centre case gasket or clutch side cover then there's your clue ... Someone has probably had it apart before to "patch it up" ... LOL ...

dunno if this will be of any help, but my car was slipping out of gear the other day, on closer inspection i noticed the tranny oil had mysteriously dropped. topped it back up and now its all good, so it might be slipping because the oils getting low?

dunno if this will be of any help, but my car was slipping out of gear the other day, on closer inspection i noticed the tranny oil had mysteriously dropped. topped it back up and now its all good, so it might be slipping because the oils getting low?

let me guess...automatic? and it tended to do it when you went around corners in a particular direction?

autos are all hydraulic, tis why they need the oil...and check the level on them when the engines running:) oh, and auto fluid is good for rubber and plastic thats going a bit grey in the sun... and your skin:) its mainly lanoilin or sheep fat... youll find auto mechanics have very nice hands:eek:

woo, off topic!

what was we talking about? leaking cases?

unless its huge, dont worry...if its a geyser...best to buy a gasket kit and replace it...

can always pull apart the case and scrape of the old gasket...very carefully, and use loctite gasket maker... or similar. anaerobic cure. stays liquid in the air. then you dont need to get a gasket.

dont use plain silicone, it sets and little lumps of silicone will clog very small oil ports. like the one up to the upper cylinder...

and skipping gears...uh oh:eek: ignore the bit about autos, thats for cars and busses only.

i say uh oh cause its a lot of stripping down to rebuild the box... try to live with it? i know my engine has a habit of not returning the lever when i shift... sometimes

let me guess...automatic? and it tended to do it when you went around corners in a particular direction?

hahaha thats exactly what happend. yeah once i realised the car needed to be running when you check tranny oil i immediately realised the problem.

anyways back on topic!

Latest posts

Back