170cc 4v vs 184cc 2v

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonte

Reaction score
Hello!

Which would be better and more powerfull? 170cc cylinder with chinese 4v head or tb 184cc cylinder with stock head. :p

I have yx160cc gen3.

Neither are a good option. If you have a 160 you are far better putting a TB head on it.

I think the 170 might be the better stock engine due to the 4v head.
But it's limited to 170cc's as i don't know of a bigger 4v piston/bore available.
The 184cc engine with a TB V2 head will be the winner due to the range of after market cams etc.

But in the end - There's no replacement for cubic replacement!
Save some extra dollars and buy a Daytona 190FDX.
The gearbox in them uses 20% wider gears, and the engine cases are a lot stronger too.

I just got that yx. :D I have thinking that tb v2 head, but dammnn 300euro+postages and taxes for the head is just too much for me, because i don't have the stock cylinder.

So is there any sense to install 184 with stock head or should i just order the 4v kit for 270euro?

And sorry of my bad english, i'm just some Finnish boy. :D

Do you know anyone that can modify and port your head?

hi there jonte

the yx4 valve head is a good head but needs a lot work , the combustion chamber and infact hole head was designed (copy of kitaco ) for only 124cc
then china copied it exactly but bolted it into 150-160 cc setups,

in a nuts shell just bolting the head on the compression is way to high

DAYTONA TAKEGAWA DEPENDING ON YOUR BUDGET IS THE GO THESE DAYS BUD

Just get a big bore, roller rockers big cam and springs.. then you will be laughing.. get the bore from akunar and the rest from tb or pitsterpro should be under $300 then.

Neither are a good option. If you have a 160 you are far better putting a TB head on it.
100% agree phil. I read on tb's website that the stock bore with v2 head and tb piston mkes the same outright power as the 184 v2 kit just the 184 has more torque, and the smaller bores peak power is 3000rpm higher in the rev range.

Just get a big bore, roller rockers big cam and springs.. then you will be laughing.. get the bore from akunar and the rest from tb or pitsterpro should be under $300 then.

Can you link those roller rockers and cam, because i just find those parts for v2 head. :/

E: Or does anyone have used tb v2 head?

Last edited:
Can you link those roller rockers and cam, because i just find those parts for v2 head. :/

E: Or does anyone have used tb v2 head?
They are the same casting minus the ports and valveseats..
So you can use the "v2 roller rockers" cams etc with stock head and valves but dont forget new springs.

The valve sizes are quite a bit smaller on the stock head.. So id expect slightly more mellow power.. (with a port job) but i dont think its too much to worry about because your upping the bore size anyways.
If you have larger valves with the bigger bore you will make more peak power and maybe get some more rpm
Tb valves are probably lighter because they are stainless too But i dont think that will be a large issue when it comes to spring choice

What you guys think if i buy that 4v head and give it to my friend who would port and modify it, so could it be even close to Tb v2?

been trialed and tested. My option being the best other than just purchasing the tbv2 head with the piston.

New used bike for the same price lol nah I'd side with Phil I have a th head with larger porting and valves and a tb cyl as well for one of my bikes great quality and price imo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back