1977 honda z50 build. My first bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the valves last night. Pretty sure they were way too tight since I couldnt get even my smallest feeler gauge in between the valve and the adjuster nut du hicky. I know thats not good for the valve train and cam.

I adjusted them to .003. am now able to get it in there and it still has friction on the feeler gauge. Didnt get a chance to fire it up because it was raining outside. Hope it sounds and runs better now.

I know loose valves sound chatty I've had this problem with my cougar and fixed it.
But does the motor sound different when the valves are too tight like that?

Well the noise was in fact from valves being too tight. Valve must have not been seating right and letting gasses escape. Just fired it up for the first time since adjusting valves to .003 last night and the motor is quiet as a sewing machine. The motor still smokes but I haven't let it warm up all the way yet and haven't put ok much adjustment on the carb yet. I got a buddy comin over soon to help me fine tune it. Will post a video soon of me riding it.

sounds good, normally the exhaust gets adjusted to .004 , this allows for the exhaust valve running a touch hotter

setting the mixture on the carby should be easy enough.
raise the idle speed up to around 2000 rpm with the engine warm
then turn the mixture screw slowly in or out, until you get the highest/smoothest rev
then drop the idle speed back down to normal rpms again.
give it a test ride, then maybe a tiny bit of adjustment either way if needed

setting the mixture on the carby should be easy enough.
raise the idle speed up to around 2000 rpm with the engine warm
then turn the mixture screw slowly in or out, until you get the highest/smoothest rev
then drop the idle speed back down to normal rpms again.
give it a test ride, then maybe a tiny bit of adjustment either way if needed

Thanks for the advice. Me and my buddy Got her running pretty smooth. I dont have the air filter element installed though because the old one was deteriorating and pretty sure thats what gummed up my carb.
When I get the air filter I'm going to try to get it running even better.
but man is this little bike LOUD! Felt kinda bad for my neighbors in my apartments haha.
My buddy been riding motorcycles his whole life and worked for honda repairing bikes for years and he even said it almost sounded mean as his 250 lol He said it has some kick for a little 50. Which could be because of the pipe that someone put on it i guess.
I'm actually going to order a complete stock pipe for the bike because its so damn loud. because right now I wont be able to ride anywhere without getting in trouble. My apartments are right near a dried up river bed and near a bike trail that goes along the river all the way through our city. so i want to have some fun with that.
Had a lot of fun with it over the weekend. I dont think I will really need to throw a bigger motor in the bike and if I did maybe I will just get a bigger bike. But for now having fun with the little 50

a rule of thumb... when cold and has good compression but looses alot of compression when hot means the valves are too tight i dont think i worded it correctly but i hope it makes sence

Latest posts

Back