1978 Suzuki DS80 ignition problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck safilian

Reaction score
Recently picked up a '78 DS80 that had sat for about 5 years. When I got it home it had spark and I fired the engine a few times by spraying gas in the carb. I cleaned and coated the gas tank, changed the crankcase oil. put gas in it and it wouldn't kick over it felt like the motor wouldn't move, like it was locked up. I put it in gear and rocked it back and forth a few times in gear until the motor was free. Sounded a little strange like scraping at first but then it was loose again. Was this caused by draining and refilling the oil?
Now I can't get it to start and checked for spark and there"s none. I found that the only way I can get a spark is if I hold the kill switch for about 3 kicks and on the 4th kick release the kill button and there will be a bright spark/flash at the plug gap, almost like the kill button is letting the coil build up power when it's pressed. Only other thing I did was tighten the loose foot peg bolts on the bottom of the engine.
I haven't looked under the LH side engine cover yet (couldn't get the screws out), but just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Do these bikes have points? I did drip a bit of gas possible into the LH cover when the petcock was leaking, next to the wires coning up out of the LH cover.

After thinking about it I might have overfilled the crankcase, that could have made the engine hard to turn over and maybe a seal blew open on the LH side and messed up the points, have to remove the cover and look tomorrow

Latest posts

Back