1978 Suzuki RM50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseman

Reaction score
I have a 1978 RM50 i would like to restore. Bike is mostly complete, except for, a seat, front mudgaurd, and plastic side plates. Im having a hard time finding these items.
The 78 RM50 C, was the first 50 built. The 78 was one of a kind, and most parts are not interchangeable with later models.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hey Wiseman, I've got a 78 and a 80 RM50 that im rebuilding. The 78 came in a basket totally taken apart and most of the parts are there but wont know for sure until I start putting it back together. The 80 is complete and was running until I dismanteled the engine because of a bad bottom bearing. I'm waiting to get the crank rebuilt and back next week to put it back together. I've found a lot of parts on Ebay like seat and side plates. I've spent more time looking for parts sources and there are few out there. My current problem is finding engine seals for my rebuild. I'm going to a seal supplier tomorrow to see if they can match my seals with new ones. If I get those then I should be set the put the engine back together and my next hurdle will be getting a good seat cover (no one has one for the RM50) from somewhere.

As far as plastics goes you can get them remaid by a place call dcplastics.com. They will make a mold from your current plastics (if you have them) and make new plastics for you.

When I got my 80 it was missing side plates, seat, and stator cover. I found all those on ebay from a guy in Texas that was parting out a bike. Keep checking ebay and eventually something will come up. I've seen several of the parts you need come up from time to time. Those parts are easy to find on ebay but you have to keep checking...the engine parts are the problem. Im hoping I can get the seals from this supplier tomorrow...fingers crossed.

Good Luck.

Hey shillow, thanks for the reply.
I shop at DC plastics, but didn't know they made remakes from your old ones.
I spend a lot of time on the internet searching for parts, check e bay every day,
and i have adds out every where, worldwide on the net. I hope one day to get hold of the parts i need.
Seat covers are hard to find as you say. id'e like on for my 82 mod.

1978 Restoration Begins

Hi all fellow mini bike fans.
I have just recently finished my 1982 RM50, (pics on this website) and am now starting work on the 78 model.
Spent a lot of time sourcing original parts for it, mostly from USA. It was a mission on it own finding these parts. Bits i found include, plastic side plates in excellent condition, an original front fender (used), carburetta, as the old one was had it, new original air box, cables, levers and a few other bits and peices. I have enough now to start building :grinning-smiley-003
Here is some some pics at the start, i will update as i go along.
As with all RM50's the kick starter shaft is stripped, and you can see the repair someone has done. I'm not quiet sure how to fix it yet, apart from getting another shaft. Almost impossible! Parts for this model are very rare, and the bike itself is even rarer. From all my research, i only know of about mabey 5 of theses left in the world, ones that are complete and running.

Stay posted if you want to see something truely special re born.

RM50023.jpg

RM50022.jpg

RM50029.jpg

RM50026.jpg

RM50036.jpg

Looking good! Yep seats are hard to find for these. I have a friend that also has a RM 50 and he is talking to a guy who makes seat covers and sells on ebay. He was going to contact him and see if he would be willing to make a special order if we had enough interest. If you would like I'll let him know you maybe interested on purchasing a cover. I've also got a 78 RM50 that I bought as a basket case for parts for my 1980 model but I have enough parts to put it back together with a few things missing. I hope to start getting the 78 model going pretty soon. I just put the engine back together so hope to get it back in the frame soon when I have time away from all my other projects. Wiseman where did you get that bike lift? That's a pretty handy item from the looks.

Looking good! Yep seats are hard to find for these. I have a friend that also has a RM 50 and he is talking to a guy who makes seat covers and sells on ebay. He was going to contact him and see if he would be willing to make a special order if we had enough interest. If you would like I'll let him know you maybe interested on purchasing a cover. I've also got a 78 RM50 that I bought as a basket case for parts for my 1980 model but I have enough parts to put it back together with a few things missing. I hope to start getting the 78 model going pretty soon. I just put the engine back together so hope to get it back in the frame soon when I have time away from all my other projects. Wiseman where did you get that bike lift? That's a pretty handy item from the looks.

Yeh, i could do with a seat cover for my 82 model. But for my old 78 model, i'm still on the hunt for a seat, or seat base. The 78 model seat is different to all the the other models that followed, because the seat mounting brackets are in a different spot. However, i did discover that any RM50 seat could be made to fit.
I got the frame painted now, and the motor back in, waiting for new piston and rings.

The bike lift is the best thing i ever got, lifts up to about 4 feet high, makes working on these little bikes a lot easier on my back. It's all steel, with castor wheels on it also, so you can move it around with ease. This one i got from good ol E Bay. Think it was about $250AU, and worth every cent. They also sell them at most motorcycle shops, or can order them in for you.

Some progress at last

Been busy working on my RM50 lately. Almost complete, and running. Just need to paint the gas tank, and have the seat re covered. From my research, there are only a few of these left in the world, that are in this condition and running. 33 years old.
A 50cc, 2 stroke motor, with a powerband, and a top speed of about 90 - 100 km/h, with the right gearing,(sprocket size). These RM50's would still smoke most chinese pit bikes up to 125cc!
My 1982 model RM50 goes like a rocket, i had it flat out at about 90km/h.
It took me ages to complete, and many parts were sourced, mostly from USA, including an original front gaurd, and plastic side plates. I plan to park it in my lounge room on display for while, then mabey sell, one day.
Here's a heap of photos, hope you enjoy.

RM5078Resto008.jpg

RM5078Resto006.jpg

RM5078Resto010.jpg

RM5078Resto016.jpg

RM5078Resto017.jpg

RM5078Resto020.jpg

RM50022.jpg

Last edited:
I no this is an old thread but Im just wondering when I could get a piston and rings for the little 50?

Latest posts

Back