1988 Honda Z50R build.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddy Rider

Miniriders OG
Reaction score
Hey all.

Boredom has kicked in and caused me to get my minibikes out and play with them again. A few years back I bought a really clean 88 mod Z50R which was in fairly good nick. I planned on building it up as an 88cc limited with a few small mods to make it rideable.

These are a few mods I did when I first got it:

BMX bars
Crf50 +1" fork legs
HD springs
China rear shocks
New 8" split rims with bigger hubs off an older model Z
Snow hog tyres
Took the motor out and built it up for my crf50
Planned to fix the crank on my crf50 motor with Kitaco 88cc limo and run that in the Z.

Thats as far as I got and its been sitting in the shed looking like this ever since.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Yesterday arvo I started making up some braces for the frame to give her some strength as I will no doubt jump her a bit and dont wanna bend the stock frame. Here is what I've made, I'll weld it up this arvo.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Future mod plans:

Buy new crank for kitaco 88 motor and get that running.
Lengthen stock swingarm by 2".
Sand blast and re paint frame, forks and swingarm all in white.
Make up a pipe using either my FMF or FiveO crf50 pipes.
Etc.

Thanks for looking

Far out that thing is mint

Are you looking for a stock crank ? I've got one in the shed you can have , I'm not sure how good condition it is , but I could send it to you and you can suss it out ? From memory it's a 70 crank , but I think the only difference between that and a 50 crank is the Conrod is a tad heavier ? I may be wrong though

Far out that thing is mint

Are you looking for a stock crank ? I've got one in the shed you can have , I'm not sure how good condition it is , but I could send it to you and you can suss it out ? From memory it's a 70 crank , but I think the only difference between that and a 50 crank is the Conrod is a tad heavier ? I may be wrong though

Send us a few pics mate, could be interested! Cheers

Welded up the frame braces this arvo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Love it! 88/89 zeds are the best looking of the late zeds

looks exciting!
Not meny dirt race zeds built around. Good to see im big z50 fan!

Bit of an update for you guys.

Motor is currently almost completely stripped down, waiting for new crank. I've replaced gearbox bearings and I've replaced the stripped 3rd gear, with some parts I found off a z50 bottom end my mate gave me. Bloke at work is going to hone my kitaco 88cc bore for me today and check my piston rings are all good. Ive bought a Takegawa red cam cover, and some red down components tappet covers too. Hoping to have the motor back together by the end of the week. Then I'll put it in the frame and start mocking up the whole bike and get on to extending the swingarm and making a pipe etc.

Also, I'm moving house soon so im cleaning out my shed and getting rid of a lot of parts, most are just stock z50r, ct110 or crf50/china parts. Anyways jump on gumtree as I'll be putting most of it up there. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Did a bit of work on the zed yesterday. Made up an under guard for the rear end to try keep the mud from
Getting all over everything like they do on crf50s and makes them a pain to wash. I made it from a bit of 2mm al. Sheet to keep it light and used some stainless 6mm button head bolts. I welded some nuts to the frame to make it really quick and easy to get on and off. When I have my extended swingarm on and know where the shocks will be sitting exactly, ill notch the under guard out to fit really neat around them, same goes for the exhaust.

Also, how do I rotate my photos?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Got the motor back together with a second hand crf50 crank that is in good condition. I had my barrel honed and I threw a set of Takegawa rings on the piston. I also put a new TB heavy duty auto clutch on, Down Components tappet covers and a Takegawa cam cover. I've started mocking the bike up now, so mind the dodgy paint work and wiring. Once its all together and I am happy with it, I'll pull it all down again and sanblast/paint everything. Ive got a Five-0 pipe off a crf50, ill have to cut the header down and it should work fine. Also going to make a stainless tip for the muffler and poke it out the back nicely past the shock.

Also, I made a little time lapse of me building the motor and posted it on my instagram, check it out!

@the.real.uncle.stevo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Got the exhaust mocked up, just gotta take it to work next week and weld it up and make a tip for it. Also had to tap my peg mount holes to 10mm cause the 8mm threads in the cases were split. Should be stronger now anyways :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I've been planning on doing a 2" swingarm extension to the standard zed swingarm, but today I came up with a better idea. A mate of mine has an alloy crf50 style swingarm I can have, im hoping its about the length I am after. If so, I will cut the cradle off it and weld some shock lugs on. I am also hoping to put some fast50s speed forks on it aswell... Stay tuned for more photos/updates. :cool:

Got the motor back together, keihin carby bolted on and my header pipe welded up. The alloy swingarm plan is out the window unfortunately, the one I was planning on using is slightly bent. Maybe a mod for later on but for now im just going to extend the stock one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Got a bit more of it put back together now. Taking shape nicely!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Got my custom exhaust tip tacked up ready to be fully welded at work today. Swingarm is getting done next weekend

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back