1990 CT110 gearbox being a *****!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sass34

Reaction score
Hey blokes. Recently bought a 1990 ct110 with 22,xxx kms on it for a cheap $600. It has problems finding Neutral and seems to struggle to want to stay in 3rd or 4th and tends to get stuck half way and sounds like a meat grinder eating some steel. Does it sound like the common gear selector problem and its stuffed or more the gears them selfs? And where can I buy a new one to bring it back to normal?

Cheers :)

metal through a meat grinder? That does not sound good, when you say it gets stuck half way do you mean the shifter stops half way when changing gears?

That should be an easy fix mate. The common problem on the ct110 gear box is either the bolt for the shift star comes loose or the roller that follows the shift star snaps. You will need to pull the clutch and primary driven gear off and you will be able to see the part that has failed.

also check the shift drum retainer bolt is still tight.
pull the l/h stator cover off, the bolt is underneath the rubber grommet/neutral switch above the sprocket.
just undo the screw holding the neutral switch to the case, then carefully wiggle the switch out.
then you should see the bolt in the middle of the hole, try doing it up a bit (just firm, not excessively tight), use a 1/4 drive socket, be careful not to snap the head off the bolt.

Ok cheers guys. Yeah I think it will be an easy fix but other then that she runs like a gem and takes on my mates new 2008 and 2009 models with ease haha. Ill have a look at it closer in a few weeks see how I go.. Off to Bali now! Peace out :)

PM me if you want the name and number of a really good Guide over there too.

Went to Sheppy's for the Origin. Great little pub! Home now and will be pulling the clutch and housing apart to see what I find. Thanks again guys

Ok finally got around to pulling the clutch and fly wheel off today! Good news after finding the roller and arm cracked and not in position :D
Took some photos so you can see what it looks like
Next question is Where can I buy one?? I'm taking the shift star to work to grind the grooves out a little with a dremel. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hey Sass,
having a similar issue. slipping, some clunky/sticky changes.
Did you get a new detent lever ? if so where and how much did it cost?
Cant find a site in Oz selling new ones?

cheers,
jim

I will find out for ya, dr atv should have one.. or else i will see if there is one with the same dimensions in my parts bin

Latest posts

Back