2 Stoke v.s 4 Stroke !

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wondering pros and cons of 2strokes compared to 4's matenince wise? Always liked the snappy power of 2 strokes.. But it sounds to me like they are a pain to look after/ keep on top of compared to 4 strokes? Plus I hate mixing fule haha I've also heard that 2 stokes are a bit of a primitive engine design? I'd like to get a two stroke but not if what I've heard is the case

I love my 2 strokes, easy to maintain, cheap to rebuild, easy to work on, no valves to adjust (mine is an '84)
Hate mixing fuel?? how hard is it to add 200mls of oil to 4 litres of petrol ?

Don't they conk out more often than a 4 though? Yea its just anoying in my opinion, just laziness I supose.. Easly overcome by the thrill of goin for a ride on a two banga I'm sure, But It's not really exiting to be filling up my chainsaw ready t cut trees down and up, so its more of a hassle to me :lol: Not that this is about saws, but it is a two stroke.

I like that they are cheap to rebuild that's why I am sort of interested in gettin one

The only cons to a 2 stroke is how often you have to rebuild them and the lack of engine braking. If you are confident of your ability to do regular top end rebuilds then two strokes are the way to go. They cost less to rebuild, are easier to rebuild and a hell load of fun when on the pipe.

2 stroke all the way. Mixing fuel is no less hassle than doing up my boots. If you aint mixing fuel, you aint haulin a**

Would take a 450 over a 2 smoker any day. Eat them for breakfast now days.

I just don't like the 0 engine braking on steep down hills.

Any pros for the 4 strokes? Like I said i Wouldn't mind mixing it if it was for a bike, how often do then need rebuilding? Say I had one just rebuilt, would it last a half a year before rebuilding ?

The only cons to a 2 stroke is how often you have to rebuild them and the lack of engine braking. If you are confident of your ability to do regular top end rebuilds then two strokes are the way to go. They cost less to rebuild, are easier to rebuild and a hell load of fun when on the pipe.

Would take a 450 over a 2 smoker any day. Eat them for breakfast now days.

I just don't like the 0 engine braking on steep down hills.

Forget zero engine braking, just drill your standard flywheel = huge increases in engine braking !!

as much as i love my 250F i wish i got a 2 stroke
my kxf has been really reliable valves only needed slight adjustment after 2 years of riding it. ride it almost every day. only thing i dont like about it is all the cheap crap they put on it like everything nowdays and the rubber bar spacers they wobble abit.
2 strokes are harder to ride as they have barely any torque and you have to change gears constantly but they are alot more fun.
always hear people complaining when a 2 stroke beats their 4 stroke at race days. so you'll never get an actual answer asking whats better.
they are like rotaries, once they won Porsche got them banned from that race.

Last edited:
as much as i love my 250F i wish i got a 2 stroke
my kxf has been really reliable valves only needed slight adjustment after 2 years of riding it. ride it almost every day. only thing i dont like about it is all the cheap crap they put on it like everything nowdays and the rubber bar spacers they wobble abit.
2 strokes are harder to ride as they have barely any torque and you have to change gears constantly but they are alot more fun.
always hear people complaining when a 2 stroke beats their 4 stroke at race days. so you'll never get an actual answer asking whats better.
they are like rotaries, once they won Porsche got them banned from that race.

Same here I hated the rubber mounts twisted after every little stack do yourself a favour and get a pair of zeta rubber killers on there heaps more feel and more direct, more vibration yeah but **** your on a dirt bike who really gives a rats ass about vibration. For me I'll stay with a 450 everything needs maintenance and I like having the power right there oh and having a quieter bike is always good.

yeah i hate it, just drop it in a sand corner and its unrideable. heard about those, keep forgetting to get some. also need to replace all the chain guides and rollers make so much noise its annoying.

Yeah man they are so much better, I've been stuck out bush with it bent as **** without being able to straighten it out. Kawakas are known to have a bit of chain slap so I run mine a tad tighter and get the TM design works sliders they are expensive but last so much longer.

Hey everyone! Just wondering pros and cons of 2strokes compared to 4's matenince wise? Always liked the snappy power of 2 strokes.. But it sounds to me like they are a pain to look after/ keep on top of compared to 4 strokes? Plus I hate mixing fule haha I've also heard that 2 stokes are a bit of a primitive engine design? I'd like to get a two stroke but not if what I've heard is the case

l have ridden and raced both 4 and 2 strokes over 38 years road and dirt , there is a place for either.

2 strokes , great for goat trails .sloppy condition (my preference) and when fatigue is a factor

teaches you the art of clutch and accelerator. maintaining corner speed

4 strokes , high country riding, high altitude. sand riding or if your a bit lazy with the gearbox . momentum of some big bores can tire you out . (long days ride)

Early 2 strokes were cheap to maintain . Todays 2 strokes you must adhere to the strict scheduled servicing via the hour meter. On the current day 2 strokes they become expensive. if you choose the right 4 stroke that require longer service intervals they can be reasonable to maintain .

ideally it would be great to own both. master a 2 stroke and you will be able to ride the wheels off any bike. The only true engine to run your brakes late and maintain high corner speed.

Im in the same boat at the moment. Just sold my Yz250f and im deciding what to go now its 100% going to be another Yamaha. But what is the question, at the moment im leaning towards a Yz250 well im going to look at a 2011 this weekend. So fingers crossed il pick it up and let you guys know what i think of it. Considering i have been a 4 stroke guy ever since i have owned a dirtbike

l have ridden and raced both 4 and 2 strokes over 38 years road and dirt , there is a place for either.

2 strokes , great for goat trails .sloppy condition (my preference) and when fatigue is a factor

Early 2 strokes were cheap to maintain . Todays 2 strokes you must adhere to the strict scheduled servicing via the hour meter. On the current day 2 strokes they become expensive. if you choose the right 4 stroke that require longer service intervals they can be reasonable to maintain .

Sorry China, but with that statement, and the fact you have been involved with bikes a long time, I take it you haven't read up much on the service intervals of modern day four stroke motocross bikes. Comparing apples with apples, and any modern two stroke is much, much cheaper to own than a four stroke motocross bike. Example, 2014 YZ250F crank is recommended by Yamaha to be changed at 12.5 hours of run time. 12.5 hours, and you are supposed to be pulling down that motor to bare bones. Not that anyone does, but its the same with two strokes. The big plus with the two strokes, is that the parts are cheap, and the motors are beyond easy to work on. Compare that with a four stroke, one over tensioned cam cap, and that head is ready for the bin.

Sorry China, but with that statement, and the fact you have been involved with bikes a long time, I take it you haven't read up much on the service intervals of modern day four stroke motocross bikes. Comparing apples with apples, and any modern two stroke is much, much cheaper to own than a four stroke motocross bike. Example, 2014 YZ250F crank is recommended by Yamaha to be changed at 12.5 hours of run time. 12.5 hours, and you are supposed to be pulling down that motor to bare bones. Not that anyone does, but its the same with two strokes. The big plus with the two strokes, is that the parts are cheap, and the motors are beyond easy to work on. Compare that with a four stroke, one over tensioned cam cap, and that head is ready for the bin.

Yes l agree , l did say you need to choose one carefully. There a lot more four strokes available than a yzf 250f and a crf both high maintenance. Kx 250f , rmz 250 will treat you a little kinder.my sherco 450 and 300 have 12,700 endure ks on them combined . No major coin spent . . No money spent. Klas muller that runs dirt bike tours put 14,000 ks on a wrf 450 . No majors. l ride with a mixed bag on dudes both jap and euro trash . Recently one mate had a sloppy ring on a Husqvarna 2 stroke ,throw away barrel. cost this dude a $1700 repair job. He ran 10 hours post service limit.

Latest posts

Back