2008 suzuki drz 70 random cdi questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asphalthurts

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum so I would like to start out by saying hello and thank you for any help or info.

My question is
I have a 2008 suzuki drz70 dirtbike I bought in 2012 from a buddy that rode it since it was new. When I bought the bike it had been sitting for about a year and a half broken down.
When I got it it didn't have a cdi or a battery in it
Ive recently started playing with my crf50 and I've been slowly working on the suzuki drz70 I'm looking around for a cdi but brand new dealer cost is $299
I see all these aftermarket revbox so for a decent price but I'm curious if they will even work because of the electric start or if I should just go with the oem cdi and hope the stator is good and the cdi is all that is wrong with it.

Any advice please help.
Thanks again.

Welcome to miniriders :D Good place to say hello , tell us bit about yaself
http://www.miniriders.com/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

If cdi missing on drz70 that sucks. crf50 wount fit ethere :( . only way get one is buy new . or if very lucky buy 2nd hand one from wrecker. but they not that popular new the drz70 so make it hard to find 2nd hand.
shop around still. good idea asking people on hear as mite give you lead.

This thread my help you with bit of info on drz70. had bit to do with drz70 as gf back in the day had one.
http://www.miniriders.com/jap-builds/37298-shan-10s-suzuki-dr-z-70-build.html

Welcome to Miniriders,

Have you checked out the earth point's coming off the harness to the frame,
Are they all bolted to nice clean bare metal ?
If not use some 80 grit sandpaper to clean the paint off, and you could even smear a little grease across the metal to stop it rusting.

With the CDI, i think i'd be using a decent quality one on it if you can't afford a new genuine one.
I reckon this should work fine, but double check with them first.
A BBR CDI to suit your DRZ from Tboltus is about $100 BBR Rev Box / CDI DRZ & KLX 110 - 451-KLX-1101 - Electrical - KLX 110 & DRZ 110 - Japanese Mini Bike Parts - TBolt USA, LLC
Or another option would be something like this, it has a reprogrammed ignition timing map to get a bit more out of your bike.
http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bi...10-year-02-05-kawasaki-klx110-year-02-09.html

Do you have an service manual for your bike ?
If so, and if you have a multimeter you will be able to test out your stator and ignition coil reading's to check they are both working within spec.
Another area to check is the kill switch, sometimes when they fail they'll earth out the ignition so the bike won't start.
Try disconnecting the kill switch from the main loom and try kicking it over and look for a spark.
New Spark Plug would be good to use as well, in case the old one has a problem.

Cheer,s Craig

Latest posts

Back