2009 z50 40th anniversary

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leimoto23

Reaction score
on the front mudguard there's a stick that says the motor is limited to 50km'hr.....any way to increase the motors performance without any mods? I'm going to use this bike to travel to work, it needs more grunt. Surely a 50cc motor can do more than 50km/hr?
Thanks

without any mods??

umm...carbi... umm i got nothing, just drop the 50 engine and put a 140 in it BUT keep the 50 engine so when rego time comes agian just chuck the 50 engine back in and your all good.

Got a pic mate?

How much?

I want one.

It's a beauty, I love it
I bought it for 4500 at sydney city motorcycles campbelltown......a bit pricey but hey it's a piece of history, never to be produced again

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

cheers
long live the zed:cool:

Last edited:
if its been limited then you could remove the limiter, but im not sure what kind of limiter it would have.

it looks like the same engines from crf50's (but you should double check) id thats the case then you could put an 88kit in it etc

without any mods??

umm...carbi... umm i got nothing, just drop the 50 engine and put a 140 in it BUT keep the 50 engine so when rego time comes agian just chuck the 50 engine back in and your all good.

I've actually given some thought on that. Would it be an easy process? I mean without have to re wire the clutch cable

Would a motor that size even bolt up to my frame without modding the thing?

Cheers Bulldog

if its been limited then you could remove the limiter, but im not sure what kind of limiter it would have.

it looks like the same engines from crf50's (but you should double check) id thats the case then you could put an 88kit in it etc

what happens if a cop knows his stuff about bikes and see if its a stock barrel or not??? just a thought

snitchy should be able to help...i think his got a YX140 in his Z50... send him a PM, goodluck, btw sick looking Z50.

mate nice bike. i read a thread on the limiter and stuff somewhere in the tech section not to long ago. search it and it should come up. it was a basic mod to get it off but i cant remember how

what happens if a cop knows his stuff about bikes and see if its a stock barrel or not??? just a thought

snitchy should be able to help...i think his got a YX140 in his Z50... send him a PM, goodluck, btw sick looking Z50.

Yeah thanks mate. I want to try and keep everything original if I can

They have a limiter in the top of the carb. Just a little spacer, ive seen one on MG. Pull that out, gear it up and you can get some more speed out of a 50cc. My mate got his 50cc upto like 70-80 ks with taller gearing. Hard to tell because the speedo only goes to like 60 haha. But it was with a gps..

sigh.. ok for starters.. if you dont know what your talkin bout..STFU.... PO or sit back and learn from someone who does... dont make assumptions, dont give ya 2c as to what it should have.

ok frame wise.. it SHOULD have the same frame and engine mounts as what any classic Z50J has.. the difference is its got a manual clutch rather than the centrifugal...this is a Ducar 125 in a 197? z50J frame with a 50R tank..
SN851041.jpg

Engine wise..Its 50cc man.. how fast do you want it to go!! its gotta spin LITTLE wheels(8inch) LOTSA times to get to anyware close to 70+kph.. and trust us.. when ya going that quick.. on such a little bike, and a car or worse truck passes you.. wooooaahhh..! lol.. Also dont forget about being able to stop.. Going quick is Harmless.. its the sudden impact that hurts... and the Z has FAR from big/good cooling/well working brakes!!

You may find you are somewhat limited to engine choices as while displacemnt gets bigger, so does the stroke, pushing the head towards the front wheel... or at minimum the mods such as IRK etc, as these will not allow you to run your electrical system AFAIK..

You can get 'joker kits' which are a 50cc stamed barrel bored out to 88cc.. so.. from the outside.. all is legit.. inside.. its not.. this will have no effect on the clutch(except maybe burning them out)

You can look at adding a different engine from a china bike, but again, may be limited as to what will work due to the electrical system. (look at quad bike engines if this is the case as they run electric start and parts may be interchangeable)

crf +1 or std HD forks would be a good upgrade before spending big bucks on the motor, also hunt down a xr75/80 swing arm for a little extra length in the rear.. (im still awaiting the dimensions of the rear of CT90/110 guys-there is a thread)

if you want to run BMX bars, the entire tripple gets changed and crf50 replacement attatched, choose your bars, throw on a 1/4 throttle, mayb a 12clock bar ;) it WILL want to wheel stand!!

ok if you were to strip down your frame it will look almost identical to this..built in 1979ish...
redframe.jpg

or this built mid 85..
parts4.jpg

thats it for now but do some searching around for what your after and decide what order you wish to modify your bike.. from there you can helped with the options available..

Last edited:
sigh.. ok for starters.. if you dont know what your talkin bout..STFU.... PO or sit back and learn from someone who does... dont make assumptions, dont give ya 2c as to what it should have.

ok frame wise.. it SHOULD have the same frame and engine mounts as what any classic Z50J has.. the difference is its got a manual clutch rather than the centrifugal...this is a Ducar 125 in a 197? z50J frame with a 50R tank..
SN851041.jpg

Engine wise..Its 50cc man.. how fast do you want it to go!! its gotta spin LITTLE wheels(8inch) LOTSA times to get to anyware close to 70+kph.. and trust us.. when ya going that quick.. on such a little bike, and a car or worse truck passes you.. wooooaahhh..! lol.. Also dont forget about being able to stop.. Going quick is Harmless.. its the sudden impact that hurts... and the Z has FAR from big/good cooling/well working brakes!!

You may find you are somewhat limited to engine choices as while displacemnt gets bigger, so does the stroke, pushing the head towards the front wheel... or at minimum the mods such as IRK etc, as these will not allow you to run your electrical system AFAIK..

You can get 'joker kits' which are a 50cc stamed barrel bored out to 88cc.. so.. from the outside.. all is legit.. inside.. its not.. this will have no effect on the clutch(except maybe burning them out)

You can look at adding a different engine from a china bike, but again, may be limited as to what will work due to the electrical system. (look at quad bike engines if this is the case as they run electric start and parts may be interchangeable)

crf +1 or std HD forks would be a good upgrade before spending big bucks on the motor, also hunt down a xr75/80 swing arm for a little extra length in the rear.. (im still awaiting the dimensions of the rear of CT90/110 guys-there is a thread)

if you want to run BMX bars, the entire tripple gets changed and crf50 replacement attatched, choose your bars, throw on a 1/4 throttle, mayb a 12clock bar ;) it WILL want to wheel stand!!

ok if you were to strip down your frame it will look almost identical to this..built in 1979ish...
redframe.jpg

or this built mid 85..
parts4.jpg

thats it for now but do some searching around for what your after and decide what order you wish to modify your bike.. from there you can helped with the options available..

ok ok.....I'm going to fit 10" rims, the guys at monkeygarage said I should put a 106cc bore kit but I think 88 will suffice. This bike's main use will be getting me to and from work which is only about 10 -15mins each way, so as long as it can sit on 60-80km/h I'll be happy. An 88 kit should do those speeds ay? If I'm going to fit an 88 kit, what else should I need in regards to rear sprocket, brakes,chains etc

Cheers

Latest posts

Back