2013 Atomik Fury 250cc Review/Build thread

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blender

Reaction score
G'day all, I thought I would post up a review of my recently acquired Atomik fury. The bike cost around 1000 delivered through e-bay, and i tried to do the right thing by researching as much as i could about the bike beforehand, but there was just no information around at all. So it pretty much came down to how good it looked in the e-bay pictures lol. Alright, sorry if people get a bit bored with the length of the review, but please forgive me as i am trying to be as informative as possible :) So here goes...

Packaging and delivery
The bikes deliver was somewhat delayed, due to the seller being away during New years, and i accidently put a number wrong whilst doing the bank transfer. so cant really say it was fast or slow. When the bike arrived however, it was encased in an agle-iron frame, pretty much A bigger verion you see when your pitties arrive. it was secured well, and the nothing got too badly damaged, with the exception of the handle bars being bent slightly.

Bike setup
seting the bike up was fairly easy, just the normal stuff like puting on the front wheel, handlebars and shock (the shock itself was already on, just had to attatch the linkage arm). I went over all the bolts before my first ride, none were loose, and none have come loose yet, but i have put loctite on a number of bolts, just to be sure. Also do tyre pressure, and perhaps most importantly valve clearences. mine came way to tight from the factory. grab yourself a set of feeler guages and set the valve to .005mm for inlent, and .008 for exhaust. Then change your oil, and if you can brake fluid. the brakes work with china fluid, but will be much more effective with some descent quality dot 3 or 4 fluid.

Suspension, Frame, swingarm and brakes
The fury comes stock with a pair of 920mm forks and a 440mm rear shock that can also be extended out to around 455mm. the forks arnt adjustable unfortunately, and the shock is just rebound adjustment only. the linkages in this bike appear to be holding up well, not shaky and rattly compared to the blitze's, sio i was happy. the stock stuff performs well for me, but for a heavier rider, the forks with stock oil in them will be WAY to soft. they are fine for me, but anyone hevier and you will be bottoming out easily. the rear shock works ok, mine came a little too stiff, but once softened a tad it ha an ok feel to it. Now.....The frame.....The frame i feel is the weekst link in the bike. its of a steel construction, and its the twin spar design. it sounds strong. however, somewhere in china , they obviously wernt thinking straight. Because they always arnt they!! The have done a fairly dodgy looking weld job on it, where the footpeg and bottom halve of the frame joins to the top part. im sorry if im not explaining this preperly, but i will get some pics up soon to help. So in short, i would seriously avoid jumping this bike. its more built for enduro and trail riding. the swingarm however, is of a fairly beefy design, it is steel like the frame, but doesnt appear to have and massive weak points that i can see. Now the brakes :) they are great. the front is a 240mm rotor, with a twin piston caliper. the rear iirc is a 220, also with a twin piston caliper. the front would easily lift the back, after stiffening the forks a bit though. i am yet to replace the fluid in mine, but they still work ok with china stuff, but it i reckon these breaks would be "un-stoppable" haha with good quality fluid in them.
Engine, exhaust, carburettor

The fury sports an overhead cam zhongshen air cooled donk. its seems good, goes quite well. After now running it in it has completely changed. Alot more power down low/mid range with adequate power up top. it lifts the front 3rd gear, and with a few teeth of the front sprocket, would do so in fourth aswell. The exhaust is advertised as a full stainless system, 38mm in diametre. it sounds mean. and looks great too! its not as loud as my 125, but is alot deeper, and mean-sounding. overall i am happy with the exhaust. the carb on the fury is a 30mm "performance" carb. in reality it is a ornament, only intended to make you look smart and sophisticated whilst taking it apart. really ropes in the chicks...lol. it is actually OK, it came with all the right setings for this engine, after doing a plug chop, the electrode was a tan/ coffee with milk colour, but dont quote me on this for your bike, it may come with different jets, needle position, etc....but I seriously cant reccomend enough upgrading to an OKO 30mm or PWK, or any other flatside carb. Mine ran fine out of the box, my OKO 30mm came with 36 pilot, 100 main and needle position in the middle notch. After a little tweaking of the idle/ airfuel mixture screw it ran fine. Perhaps all it needed was a larger pilot, 38/40 would do the trick.
Handle bars, controls and ergos

Stock handle bars are the usual china rubbish, mine came bent a little, wich was annoying, but i will be replacing them with some pro taper contours, or equivelent in bend. i am happy to say it runs fat bars (28mm, or 1 1/8) so bars from "real bikes" (jap bikes) will fit up fine. Stock levers are baad, they are not event bi-folds. i havnt dropped or stacked the bike yet, but our china buddies have already make the weak spot in the levers for us, but if you want it to work, you'll need to file in a slightly bigger groove. the ergos on this bike are great for me. the bike's advertised seat hieght is around 900mm, wich is pretty much perfect for me. sitting and standing up on the bike is a breeze, the seat is comfortable, not too firm, not too soft and the seat-to-peg relationship is great. when im sitting down on it, my knees are bent just slightly.
wheels, tyres, chain and sprockets

The atomik fury comes with steel wheels....yuk!! But it is a bit better for me , as i mainly go bush riding, and its good they dont buckle as easily i guess, but another bad thing is the axle sizes. it uses a 15mm for the rear, and only 12mm for the front, i will be looking at getting a 15mm axle/bearings for the front asap, i dont trust the 12mm on a bike as bg as this!. the stock tyres are beefy, and better quality than i expected. the are great for the looser sort of stuff, like mud loose dir, sand, etc, but the hardpack stuff, not so good. you'll be rippin the knobs off in no time. The chain and sprockets on the fury are standard for china, but i was surprised with the chain. its a #530, wich is a strange and not so commonly used pitch as i have found out, most china 250's come with a #520 chain. but the chain didnt stretch thaqt much. it strected a little at first, then settled down, only needing minor adjustments here and there. im not sure on the rear sprocket count, i think its a 34 ? but the front is a 15. i will be getting a smaller front sprocket for it soon, the stock gearing is not so good for the hills, trails, etc.
Plastics, graphics

The plastics the fury uses are good looking, but, unfortunately arnt good to put together. these thiongs are worse than their puzzles!! honestly, it took a good hour just to get the order of operation between the rear guards and seat right. Also, these are chinese designed plastics. meaning they (for once) are not copying off a jap competitor. which means you cant buy graphics kits for them, unless you want the expense of shipping them to a custom graphics place, then getting them to design the kit itself, etc...all a bit annoying, as the stickers started peeling after the 2nd or so ride...

Thus concludes my review of the Atomik Fury 250cc. once again, im sorry if i bored you, but when i was researching as much as i could, i found like nothing on big chinese bikes...
I am extremely happy with the bike though. it adheres to my criteria well, as i am mainly doing bush/trail riding, and its well setup for that, and the thing i am quite happy about is the massive 8lt fuel tank, which is great for those long rides with friends :)
I will post more when i get some goodies for it. first on order is an oko 26 when i get the funds :). will keep yas posted for sure.

Cheers Blender..

Last edited:
good read mate dun a good job I always go on how things look that im buying lol as long as your happy that's all that matters blender :banana:

Excellent review and write up Blender!!

+ rep's for you.

Look forward to seeing you taking it in some real bush and see how it holds up.

Thanks MotorMan, im just off to get some new pics now, and i should be ordering an OKO 26 in the next week or so. the bike should be properly run in then. as i said above i might be doing some head work, may look at cam aswell. apparently there are alot of performance cams available aswell.

Thanks MotorMan, im just off to get some new pics now, and i should be ordering an OKO 26 in the next week or so. the bike should be properly run in then. as i said above i might be doing some head work, may look at cam aswell. apparently there are alot of performance cams available aswell.

Are you sure an OKO 26mm will be big enough??

I would be going the 28mm.

Are you sure an OKO 26mm will be big enough??

I would be going the 28mm.

Im going off the atomik blitz review, and from what i read the 26 is better, apparently with the 28 its bogs down low quite badly, which could not be tuned out. Im not really sure what i'll go with, im trying to readas much as possible, to get a clear idea. the exhaust, being 38mm, would aid the engine with coping with the 28, so it'll be hit and miss i suppose!

Pics......

dat donk....

this is that dodgy weld job i mentioned in the riview. its a major stress point on the frame anyway, and they just make it worse by putting a join there. i may consider bracing in the future, even then i would not jump this bike.

k guys, bit of an update today. the bike was running awful. runnin lean, backfiring upon deceleration, etc. so i thought it was valves, but no, they were all good. so pulled carb off and found the pilot jet that was in it. the jets it runs are a 105 main, 36 pilot, which is perfect. anyway, i found out that this carb is pretty terrible. the slide, for instance is plastic. and the butterfly choke already has some play in it. i should be ordering an oko soon enough, gotta get some cash up my sleeve first, lol. will keep yas updated

i wouldn't be too worried about the choke having play, as long as it closes to within a couple of mm's

is the carby a china Mikuni, what size ?

just checked Atomiks' site, Jinke 30mm
yeah the Mikuni 30mm sounds better, at least it has an alloy slide
and would be easy to find jets for too.

just checked Atomiks' site, Jinke 30mm
yeah the Mikuni 30mm sounds better, at least it has an alloy slide
and would be easy to find jets for too.

yep, your exactly right. i think the "Junk-e" carb is pretty average, will be looking at getting a mukuni VM or something of the like. the bike is pretty much run in now, its running beatifully, now with a clean carb, and the power has increased a bit more than i expected. so far, so good :) im going to be taking it to a track soon, will test its abilities there with the new carb ii hope,

i was thinking, i have 2x china Mikuni 30mm carbys here.
if i go though one, check it all out and set it up etc.
do you want to borrow it and see how it goes ?
it would only cost you the postage to you, and then back to me when your done testing.
that way you don't need to outlay the money for something that you might not end up using ?
i guess it could cost you for a couple of jets if different ones are needed?

hmm, i see. would that suit my needs ? i am a bit worried on the butterfly chokes, during the time i've ben on this forum, alot of people have had problems because of them. but then again they were chinese carbs, so the quality was probly not the best. im not sure what to do atm, i did some more tuning on the carb today (richened it a tad) and it came out good. the bike startin to open up, lots of power, i want more though! i dunno whether to get the Mikuni VM, or the OKO?? i suppose the mikuni would be better for my use smoother power delivery and all, but i suppose i could just get an oko 26-28mm Roundslide, insted of the flatside?

yeh ur right, way to many, lol. im thinking the oko 28mm, im going off the blitz review, from what i read it ran best with thatr, apart from the 30mm oko used later.
as for the rubber adapters, im not too sure atm, next time i've got the carb off i'll measure the bolt spacings to be sure. but im not paying 30 bucks for a bit of rubber! i'll see if i can make one, would probably be alot better quality anyway :)

ok well i might have some videos up this weekend, got a mate comin over on his kx125, will race him an beat him lol. i am thinkking of getting a k-mart special action cam this afternoon, with a 16gb micro sd card, will see how we go

Latest posts

Back