Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the mixture but havnt done the valve clearances yet! Held it flat for a bit going up and down the hill though ;) so tired, I need to go pull it out of the ute and ill pull the plug out and have a look! Fingers crossed its tan....seems to be running well at this stage after doing the mixture if sounded WAY better too....

Valve clearance done, re-tuned carby...slightest bit of hesitation but I'm only in the drive which is like 10m long. I'm pretty sure its good just may need a slight lean out from here and we're good....lets pretend I did my valve clearances before riding today ;) Thanks for the help guys, ran the engine in a bit, rode until the chain needed more tension as we all know it'll stretch! Fun times ahead, my old boss tried his hardest to break it crazy bastard he is!!! Also a tad overweight....

[video=youtube;8CkQaT-lNZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CkQaT-lNZY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
so did you notice a bit of a jump in compression after doing the valves ?

the hesitation would be the Pilot jet (too small), let me know what size it is when you get a chance.

Yeah there was always decent compression from the first kick. I had a mini heart attack after doing the valves this evening....NO COMPRESSION at all after.....but compression requires a sealed system and MOST defineatly a spark plug...whacked the spark plug back in and hey presto...even fires up under choke now too!!

Yeah I noticed it had a little more grunt in the driveway,I will have to get it somewhere I can at least get into 3rd before I will notice the difference though I think. Id assume you're correct about the jets.

I had a though Craig, if you have a chinese copy mikuni carby thats set up and ready to go, would/could you sell me a package with some bits and pieces, I'd be keen on a new CDI and ignition system too? Totally understand if you dont want to, just thinking you might have that many spares laying around you could clear a few parts out of the shed and make some money at the same time? At least I'll know they are perfectly tuned if they're coming out of your stock!! :D

Last edited:
yeah i have a spare one here, and a couple of parts ones too.

you wont like adjusting the mixtures though, it's a burn your hand on the barrel job
the screw is underneath the front of the carby, the pic below is with the fuel bowl off, see the brass screw on the right.

i also have a manifold spinner here that you could borrow to set up/adjust the Mikuni to suit your bike.
it goes between the manifold and head, you can fit it, then have the carby spun around so it almost hangs off the l/h side of the engine.
then take it out once you are happy with the way it runs
this is what the spinners look like

images

Cool looks good cheers. I use pretty decent leather gloves for work so should be ok with that they are pretty heat resistant! Its going to be easier to just do the jets than put a whole new carby on isnt it?

I'm getting ahead of myself here and out of my depth currently putting a new carby on I think...things are working rather well atm, thinking about it a bit more I might just do the jets and keep the bike running and maintained for a couple of weeks before I go doing any major changes to it. So I'll defineatly keep it in mind and give you a yell and see if you still have it when I'm ready to do a bit of upgrading of the engine.

and I really will need a new chain and sprockets too. Sprockets and chain needs to be my number 1 priority as I dont want anything exploding on me and destroying engine internals! What size front and rear would you recommend, I wont ask you about that cause you told me you should replace them every 6 months so I'll jsut grab some new ones!

CDI is easy just plug and play. Did I mention that the bike came with an NGK plug yet...pretty impressive stuff. I still might go for a new plug and ignition, as a better spark makes for a more efficient burn. A more effecient burn = more power!! I used to run Bosch super 4s in my corolla, you wouldn't think but those plugs gave the car an extra 10hp, and that motor was only slightly bigger than the 125 ducar...at least in terms of power!

yeah a jet swap is pretty easy, it's a 5 minute job

there's 2 bolts to remove the carby from the manifold,
2 screws hold the bowl to the carby, then undo the Pilot Jet and swap the new one in, then reassemble and feel the difference
there will be a number on the side of your jet on the slotted screwdriver end, so if you have the fuel bowl off for any reason note down that number, and the Main Jet too.

i have 2 spare Pilots Jets here that will suit it, probably have 2 or 3 Main Jets too

just check that the plug says NGK Japan, there are NGK china plugs too.
you can get an Irridium plg for it, a CR7HIX, they are about $18ea, or around $13 ex UK inc post.

i would look at upgrading the Spark Plug Lead, i will try and find you a link for one

and leave the current CDI on it, it should last a while

So can I just drill it out as you said previously? If so what size drill bit do I need or is it metric like 20 is 2.0mm? I have access to a vice and I have my own drill and any drill bits are a tax write off for me so. Sounds cheap and easy which is what I'm liking for the next couple of weeks...Going a bit nuts spending money...need to slow it down for a week or two!!

the sizing is sort of like that, at a guess i'd say it is about .40mm,
i have a set of .3 up to 1mm, and a Pin Drill

Hmmm ok thats a little more complex than what I was planning...Can you buy jets from anywhere Like Sprint,Repco etc?

nah, Show and Go Motorcycles would be the only place that has a decent jet range in SA.
but even then it'd depend on whether they keep that style in stock.

if you can tell me what size Pilot Jet it has, i can drill a spare/old Jet out for you and you can try it out.
so if it is a #40 Pilot Jet, i will drill mine out to equal a #45

I would do what my67xr said above mate, infact he drilled a jet out for me recently, and im yet to have problems with it :)

i noticed saw in your new video that you've now realised how loud they can be too, they're not neighbour friendly.

i made up a muffler insert that drops the noise down to around half, and is a hardly noticeable power drop.
so it's good for backyard tuning etc.

yeh, just a comparison for noise, my 125 is about 3 times lounder than my 250, seriously its rediculously louder! when im behind it, it sometimes hurts my ears, even when its not at WOT.

No worries guys. I'll have a look at the jet tomorrow and put an order in with ya Craig! Started it today and I actually HAD to use the choke to cold start it...so I must've done the valves correctly! Bit of a putt around the drive way and the plug is starting to clean itself off! Woohoo. It was a little black. Not sure if its Chinese or Japanese NGK I can find anything discerning to tell me either way!

So problems I've noticed today. I went through all the spokes to check their tension and had a couple on the front that were winding themselves out almost to finger tightness :/ so gave them all a bit of a teak, front and back. The chain obviously had to be re-tensioned. Also the headstem needs another washer in it, as there isn't enough thread there to get the whole lot to lock down....Its like the old screw on type that really crap cheap bmx's used to come with, I can see that turning into a problem later on down the track unless I get a washer in there asap to get it tight...

Stickers on today, these will surely last until the first time I wash it, maybe the second...may have to start entering the photo comps and get a real set of mini stickers for it :D

DSC_0150.jpg

Ok just had a look at the jets in the fuel bowl on carby, if I can read the numbers correctly. Pilot jet is a #32 and main jet is a #78 Not sure about the 78 as its really hard to read, thats what I came up with after staring at it for a minute in the sun! Sounds about right though? Also what spline size etc is it for the TDR can anyone remember? Going to order some new sprockets and chain today, but have no idea what size spline etc...

Last edited:
the front sprocket will be 17mm or 20mm, i'm guessing 17mm

see if you can slip the open end of a 17mm spanner over the shaft/splines

rear sprocket you'll need to measure yours, from one bolt to the next, then across diagonally

how many teeth is your current front sprocket?

i would think about getting a couple, if you have a 15T now,
get a 14T front, will give you good acceleration off the line,
and maybe a 16T if you want to do some higher speeds etc on the flats
you can adjust the chain to suit either, i have a 14T and a 17T, that i swap
i'm not sure how the 125 would cope with a 17T front and a 37T Rear though.

Cheers so does it sound like I need a bigger jet as well still a little hesitant on throttle....32 and 78 according to the numbers on my jets, couldn't resist had to have a look!

i will have a look at mine and let you know, the Pilot Jet sounds a bit small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back