250 v 450

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br0die

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure the outcome is going to end up with a 'it's personal preference', but I thought I'd ask the masses and get your opinions!

Basically, I'm riding a 160cc DHZ at the moment, and as much as I love it, and it's my baby, I'm just so keen to get on a full size bike.

Some quick history on myself; I've been riding since I was a little tyke, but only ever minis or race/farm quads. I've only ever ridden a full size motorcycle once, which was just the other week (unfortunately my mini shat itself whilst we were out, and picking up the spare bike was easier than trying to fix her). Off the bat, I found it a lot more comfortable, but a little different to maneuver, as you'd expect. I fell off once, because my mate and the blokes we were riding with all enjoy endurance, so we were hitting some pretty sharp corners, of which I lost around one.

Now it's worth mentioning for arguments sake, that I am a VERY fast learner, and after about half an hour of riding that bike, I was up to the riding standard of my mate who has been riding for a couple years now.

So this is where the debate comes in to play.
I mentioned to them that I'm going to be buying a fullsize bike, and said that I want to go for a 450, because after riding the 250, I just felt like it needed that extra bit of power.

They all advised me that I should go with a 250, because 450 is, and I quote, "too much power".

Personally, I'm the type of person who can never get enough out of a machine, no matter how much power it puts out, and I have a funny feeling it was more-so my mate's dad trying to discourage my mate out of anything too powerful, for obvious parenting reasons.

(CAN'T BE BOTHERED READING? JUMP TO HERE :) )

So what is your opinion?
Versus a 250, is 450 really too much power?
I don't want to spend the money on a 250 to find that I'm looking at a 450 just months down the track!
(Also, I don't ride endurance, I prefer to hit the tracks.)

Cheers guys,
br0die.

(Again, I realise a lot of factors come in to play here [personal preference, riding style, etc..], I'm just curious to hear some past experiences or opinions! :) )

Last edited:
A bit more info. How old are you? What was the 250 you rode? Was it a farm bike, old 4T or a 2T? A modern 450 has the potential to rip your arms out.. Just sayin ;)

I'm 17 going on 18 in November!

I'm looking at a CRF450R, and the bike I rode was a CRF250R (09 model, I think) which was what I was originally looking at.

More or less, I just don't want to find that after 2 months of riding a 250, it's just not enough and have to go through the process of selling it and buying a new bike all over again.

I'd rather go the 450 off the bat, and take the extra month or two to get to know the 450.

But having not ridden many bikes, or being able to compare the two, I'm not too sure how much difference there is between the two.

Would it actually be too much for me to handle?

I'm a well built guy, and stand approximately 6ft 1, so there's no issues there.

big bikes are for big gays :)

but a 250f is like a CRF50 with a big bore kit, & 450f is like wild bull on steriods

Haha, big bikes are for big tracks and big power mate ;)

Don't worry, my mini won't be leaving my side! I just want a big bike for when I'm riding with all my mates who have 'em, or when I want to hit a decent size track!

Also, being 6ft 1, the mini is the slightest bit too small (I can put it with it), so it'd be nice to have the option!

You really need to test ride a 250 & 450 to see, Try kick starting a 450 too?

I think the 450 would be a bit too much for you coming from a 160 although you may come to like it eventually but as mentioned it is not good for small tracks & not the easiest to throw around, The smaller bikes have dominated tight tracks for many years when it comes to lap times simply because they can hold the throttle open for longer and can brake less before corners

If you are considering going on some longer enduro style rides then the 450 may be OK for you?

Mate to be honest its hard to say how quickly you would get bored with a 250. A 250 will be lighter and easier to throw around with less gyro effect from the engine in tight turns. It would probably be ideal to step up through a 250 to the 450 later on, but that time period can vary depending on many individual traits and tracks.

From now till 21 you will gain more body strength and ability to muscle the bigger bikes around. 450's are harder to ride smoothy and require more constant input from the rider, especially when they get out of line. A lot of guys find them tiring to ride fast for long periods because of this. Just so you know ;)

You really need to have a crack on a 450 to know. However if I was you I would go the 250 for a few years then look at upgrading. JMO.

Hmm.
I think I'm starting to convince myself that I'm just being power hungry, and should probably take your advice :p

I think I might just go the 250 and see where it leads me.
At the end of the day, I'm all for knowledge and experiences, so it's no loss, just a bit of extra work if I decide to sell and step up!

Thanks for the input guys! Definitely made me think :p

Cheers,
br0die

Mate of mine who is a motocross mechanic and been riding all his life had a CRF450... Just a moment of lost concentration, thought he was in second, but was in third as he went over a big jump and the bike flew out from under him... Short story.. that was 6 months ago and he is still limping around and doin physio for his broken foot.. Has now sold it and bought a 250 as it is a more manageable power and can relax a bit and enjoy himself....

Look at moto and supercross.. the 250's can do all the same jumps, and not far off the 450 times...
Ive heard that the top riders from 450 class can actually get better lap times on a 250 due to them being more maneuvarable etc..

I got a KXF250 and the thing moves... wouldnt even consider going bigger.. and If I did, probably just some mods would do it...

You might regret not getting the 450 cause of the power difference, but you might regret getting it if you end up drinking your food through a straw!

Just my point of view... If you can ride a 250F around a moto track pinned in 5th feeling bored, go for it... but Id highly doubt that would be the case man!

yeah mate i think a crf250 will be fine! thats what i am getting :)
450 is just to much power haha not as fun to have that much power, better to have a 250 and realy work the bike.

I bought an 08 crf250 and traded it 2 months later on an 08 crf450. I have been racing since i was 8 though. I like the wieght of the 250 and manouvrability but found myself wanting more power, previously i had only had a 2000 ktm 250 2 stroke abd a few 125s and 80s. Once i got the 450 i raced it for 2 months then sent the motor to pro circuit to be built and that cost me $$$$$$$. But then that was 2 much power but still loved it. I would say get the 450 and dont mod it apart from bars and suspension and learn to handle the power.

i rode a 250 and there junk....... gutless and i was on the ringer all the time

yeah i'm an experienced rider no pro but i can throw a whip around a bit. the 250 is good for corner speed and making you a fast rider, which is all good stuff to make you fast on a 450.

but power

the endless power

Yes it is alot of work to ride a 450 to it's full potential and it can be tiring but you can ride a 450 a bit lazier when your not racing because of the power. but when your pushing and your in tight stuff the 450 can be hard work. but again to keep up on the 250 you'll be on the ringer all the time.

i suppose it's pretty simple a 250 rider will be fast due to technique where as a 450 rider will be fast due to power

ride both see what you like

vote one suzuki

i rode a 250 and there junk....... gutless and i was on the ringer all the time

yeah i'm an experienced rider no pro but i can throw a whip around a bit. the 250 is good for corner speed and making you a fast rider, which is all good stuff to make you fast on a 450.

but power

the endless power

Yes it is alot of work to ride a 450 to it's full potential and it can be tiring but you can ride a 450 a bit lazier when your not racing because of the power. but when your pushing and your in tight stuff the 450 can be hard work. but again to keep up on the 250 you'll be on the ringer all the time.

i suppose it's pretty simple a 250 rider will be fast due to technique where as a 450 rider will be fast due to power

ride both see what you like

vote one suzuki

As if you would know ya pansy susuki rider. ;)

But... I have to agree with you 100%.

Really depends what riding you want to do.

After over 8 year on the 250 I'm more than ready to step up to the 450. But my riding in the bush now days is a lot more open than tight work like it used to be.

After the weekend of trying to keep up with 400 and 450 injected quads, your ringing it's head off everywhere. Need some chugger chugger action.

The 2 bangers are a very good option also. They make you really ride the bike and not become lazy. Plus a lot cheaper to maintain.

Mate go the 450 or better yet a 250 2smoke, that would be reccomendation. Personally i think you'l get bored of the 250 real quick.

Why is everyone recommending a 250 2t? :s

Get yourself a 2t 300, they have a good amount of bottom/mid range power (for a 2t) and still scream up top... Nice and light too!

That said, there is something to be said for learning to wring every little bit out of a 4t 250, enjoy it while you're young and you can move up to some 'lazy' power later on ;)

I'm in the same boat as motorman, in that I'm more into riding wide tracks, rather than tight cornering and what-not.

I think I might have a look into a 250 2 Stroker!
I've always loved two strokes for their sound anyway! xD

Thanks again for the opinions guys, much appreciated and given me a lot to consider!

Latest posts

Back