2nd gear seems blown... Where to start... PP140

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
Mate had his PP140 out on the weekend, and the proverbial brother in law took it for a rap... Flat shifting, swinging off the throttle, and just generally giving it shit it didn't need/want...

Now second gear is a no show... Makes a horrible noise, and chatters the chain around at the front sprocket (can't really understand why) Runs fine 1-3-4 but 2nd shot...

Where do I start to isolate/fix the problem... Is it easier to consider a new motor? Is 2nd gear a common problem? Last time we had an engine issue on another pp140, the gearbox fell in the 'too hard to get at' basket for some reason, don't recall why but was probably a shaft or clip we couldn't work out how to get into...

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions all welcome.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like 2nd gear dogs are worn out, common in all bikes jap and china..

engine has to be disassembled completely and split, then buy a new gearbox and shift drum, basically a full engine rebuild. (easier and cheaper than just repairing the damaged gear)

replacing the engine is always easier tho, and gives you the opportunity to upgrade to something larger..

$20 clutch nut tool, $20 gear, $30 in gaskets, a couple hours of wrenching, or just under $1000 for a new Daytona;)

So I had a yarn to my mate, and he's a little bit keen to just piss the old motor off, and go buy something a little bit nicer (as the bill would be getting passed on to the 'in-law' haha..) So he want to go through the motions and see which pans out.

Basically, what are my options to throw into his frame?? Specs currently are Oko flattie, big bore DHZ exhuast, pitpro 140 running gear. I want to be able to order a motor over the interwebz, and have it appear on my doorstep and be able to bolt it straight in, and be able to swap over the running gear.

A touch more capacity would be nice, but more quality would be preferred.

Budget would be about $500 for giggles, less would be appreciated.

Noticed this at DHZ - New 2010 PitsterPro z160 HO Engine, 6 Plate HD Clutch, Rotor Kit Support Lighting & Battery Charging - DHZ Mini Moto

What else would be suitable!?

Thanks,

So I had a yarn to my mate, and he's a little bit keen to just piss the old motor off, and go buy something a little bit nicer (as the bill would be getting passed on to the 'in-law' haha..) So he want to go through the motions and see which pans out.

Basically, what are my options to throw into his frame?? Specs currently are Oko flattie, big bore DHZ exhuast, pitpro 140 running gear. I want to be able to order a motor over the interwebz, and have it appear on my doorstep and be able to bolt it straight in, and be able to swap over the running gear.

A touch more capacity would be nice, but more quality would be preferred.

Budget would be about $500 for giggles, less would be appreciated.

Noticed this at DHZ - New 2010 PitsterPro z160 HO Engine, 6 Plate HD Clutch, Rotor Kit Support Lighting & Battery Charging - DHZ Mini Moto

What else would be suitable!?

Thanks,

if you want a direct bolt in engine then the zonger 140 is the only option. but no real upgrade..

engine you listed is already over budget and also requires an exhaust to get it to fit and oko jets to tune it..

if you want a direct bolt in engine then the zonger 140 is the only option. but no real upgrade..

engine you listed is already over budget and also requires an exhaust to get it to fit and oko jets to tune it..
can agree with the 160s needing jetting i have one with stock oko 26mm jets 100 and 35 i think it is seems like it needs more fuel above 3quarter throttle limiter sounds like it comes in to early just dunno what to do

Latest posts

Back