+4 or +5 swing arm help!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGB2291

Reaction score
ive got an aluminum thumpstar frame and dont know if i need a bigger swing arm. right now i have the rear end off of a sdg 110 but i believe its only a +2 swing arm. would a bigger swing arm help raise the rear end a bit or not please help.

Attachments

• thumpstar frame.JPG
    thumpstar frame.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
a longer swingarm will only make the rear end a few mm's higher.
the length of the rear shock will make the biggest difference to height,
but go too long, and it will make the chain chew out the chain slide, and other problems

the swingarm length also helps a bikes' stability, eg; longer wheelbase = more stable

a longer swingarm will only make the rear end a few mm's higher.
the length of the rear shock will make the biggest difference to height,
but go too long, and it will make the chain chew out the chain slide, and other problems

the swingarm length also helps a bikes' stability, eg; longer wheelbase = more stable
So how do we make sure the shock isn't to big?

so if your original shock is 300mm long,
grab an old broomstick take the broom head off,
then drill a 10mm hole through one end,
then measure down the broomstick, and at 330mm(or whatever length shock you want to try) and drill another 10mm hole through,
make sure you go through square with the first hole you drilled then cut the stick 10-15mm longer than the second hole.
you may need to flatten off the round broomstick on each side of the holes, so it will fit into your mounts on the bike.
use an angle grinder or whatever you have handy.

now remove the old shock and fit the wooden stick to the bike instead, and check it out at the new height.
check that it doesn't put too much downward pressure on the chain to the swingarm at the front pivot point.

put up pics if you want, we can offer our opinions/advise etc

Latest posts

Back