50cc fuel query

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredsticz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a cheap small 50cc mini quad.
Got round to getting it all sorted, now it starts and cuts out. Bit hit and miss whether it will start or not and if it does it cuts out pretty quick.

Spark plug was loose somehow :S so tightened that and still does it. removed fuel line between filter and cut off tap, there is literally a dribble of fuel coming from it. Is this meant to pour out?
Im guessing its just a gravity flow system but should keep streaming if i remove the fuel line.
Would explain why it started for a bit then died, I'd left the tap on since last looked and must have used all the fuel in the carb.

Also, since trying to start it so much i pulled the pull start off the damn thing :( took a chunk of the metal casing with it. so going to jb weld that back on and have a new pull start ordered and coming, along with new fuel filter and fuel lines.
Any advice on best repair for this otherwise?

it is meant to pour out most likely, blow on the fuel line then let it flow and see if it is just crap sitting on the bottom if the tank

2 stroke i'm guessing?
What fuel/oil ratio are you running? How many litres to how many mls ?

Have you taken tge carby off and cleaned it out?
They can also block up in the fuel taps and hoses too.
Take the tank off and clean it out.
Is the breather hole still open in the fuel cap?

JB weld wont last long either, youll need to make up a brace that will hold the starter cover to the engine, a mate did the same to his sons 50cc engine.

cheers, I'll see what I can do brace-wise.
Cap has a hole drilled. no breather hose. that's why i think crap may have gotten in.
Not took carb off yet, that's next to do once fuel is flowing.
As for oil ratio, I haven't properly ran it since buying it, there is 1.5-2 litre in the tank from whoever had it before me
And yes it's 2 stroke

old 2 stroke can go off, so take the tank off and flush it out well.
replace the fuel hose/s
the carby fuel bowl probably has 2 stroke jelly in it too, dried up premix (fuel/oil)
give the carby a decent soaking in carby clean/throttle body cleaner and blow it out well with compressed air.
take the air filter off, clean it with degreaser/petrol and let it dry, then use some air filter oil. on it

run your 2 stroke mix at 30/1, so 3 litres fuel 100 mls oil.

don't forget to drop by and say hello in our Introduce Yourself thread too while you're here.

cheers, craig

yeah, i'm going to give the tank a good clean out n what not.
I had the quad running a fair while so should be good.

What I have noticed is, I put in a new ngk plug as it was the generic one still in it.
But I removed the fuel line again after the filter, nothing came out, blew into it and it didnt sound like it passed through the fuel in the tank so not sure how high up the pick up pipe is. Like I said previous, there is well over a litre still in it. But then on the fuel filter I noticed an arrow. If I'm correct the arrow should indicate fuel flow direction?
As it's facing towards the tank so I think that's on backwards.
Going to wait until new filter is here and put some good fresh fuel in and see how that goes

yeah some of them have an arrow to show the flow direction.
i'd try turning it around, maybe give it a clean out with carby cleaner or blow it out with compressed air while it's off too.

I have a new filter arrived today anyways. I'v fitted that now. I have jb welded the whole top of the pull start to the casing as I don't have much to make a decent bracket out of and can't see where would be strong enough to fit one.
So going to see how strong that sets anyway tomorrow and try it out again then

Latest posts

Back