A quad for Xmas, Number 2 (pic heavy)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarCon

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ok,I thought I would put up some pics and info on the second quad being done as an xmas present for one of my other nieces.

Backstory.
This one is being done for a 10 year old girl. She has a moderate physical disability in the form of muscular distrophy. For a long time this condition put her on the sidelines while her older brother and younger sister played a variety of sports and participated in other activities. Her legs are the most effected limbs so I convinced her parents to let her have a go on the quads to see if they weren't to much for her to cope with. Well OMG within a hour of putting her on for the first time she was a different kid. She had come alive and was out doing an activity with the rest of the kids and loving it. She has been riding for a year now on my Atomik 110 full auto quad. She refuses to "take it easy", she pushes her limits all the time! None of the other kids, including her old brother and cousins, 12 and 11 respectfully, can come anywhere near keeping up. If they try she just goes out and blows them to the weeds.

So it was decided that a rebuilt quad of her own was going to be the order of the day as an Xmas present for her, complete with some mods just to make it a bit more comfortable for her to use.

Rolling frame dragged out from under the house.... Yep, that'll do as a start.

A complete tear down of frame, suspension and drive line then cleanup and strip back was first, then a fresh coat of gloss black epoxy enamel was applied. Associated parts were cleaned and repainted and or rebuilt. Reassembly then commenced.

(will post more soon, been called away)

Ok ok, "back soon" was a bit longer than i'd expected, I'm bad. I real am over this time of year, everyone wants there last minute stuff done that of course they have left to the last minute, and they want it done and completed 10 minutes ago! I'm over it.

So, where was I? Ok I remember now, select an engine for the frame. So under the house I go to pick an engine. Not my favourite job, house is 4 foot off the ground and I'm 6'2". I have to waddle like a penguin. A couple of bashed knees and squashed fingers later a selection is made and I waddle out with it. A Loncin full auto 110. Doesn't look to bad but I know it needs a full rebuild, which suits this project just fine.

Into the shed and onto the engine stand it goes. Time to whip off the side cover ....... OMG, you have to be kidding me! So the fun has already begun!

So tear it down and see what else is lurking behind a cover or inside the cases. Thankfuly the rest wasn't as bad. The full complement of rebuild items later, gaskets, bearings, seals, valves, valve guide seals, piston and rings and a new stator. A bit of cleanup work to the ports etc.. Some blasting cabinet time and a fresh squirt of paint..

Lets get this sucker mounted before something else corrodes away on it, lol.

(ignore my nieces shoulder, just pretend she's not there ok)

Time to get some wheels and tyre's onto it. clean em up and bolt em on. Same with some handle bars and controls, including the twist throttle conversion. Cleaned and blasted and exhaust and got it painted pot belly black and fitted.

Fit quite a few other bibs and bobs and thingamies.

So it was time to crank this puppy up. It cranked over for about 2 seconds and fired straight up. Let it warm up and put an initial tune into it to keep it running. Only problem I came across at this stage was a rattly baffle in the muffler, so it was pulled of and cut open to find and fix the cause of the rattle.

The body from the original pic was used on quad 1 in the other build thread, so another body was dragged out kicking and screaming, this got prep'd and got a coat of metallic purple paint to freshen it up and meet the child's favorite colour requirements. A new headlight and tail light were also fitted, along with a repaired seat I had as finances for a new one were a bit low by this time.

So there we have it, up to date as of tonight. Tomorrow I'll weld the exhaust back together and give it another cleanup and a fresh coat of pot belly black and refit it. Then it will be time for a test drive, yippie!!!!!

(yes there are items I haven't mentioned but you can presume they got done too, like a new 5amp Gel battery, etc)

Last edited:
Mate that thing looks awesome!

Well done dude, thats real big of you to help out a little battler. Do us all a favour and make sure you get some picks of her riding the wheels off that thing!

Kind of makes me want to rebuild my young fella quad...:grinning-smiley-003

This is brilliant, love the bike and love the story even more!

Nice work on the quad. That looks, and no doubt is, better than they ever come from the factory.

Merry Christmas to you and the family. I hope she loves it.

Thanks for the great comments, great to get them.

I got it finished late yesterday afternoon but had lost the light to get any pics at the time. Not that those fuzzy damn pics I posted are much chop anyway, sorry about that, seems the hands aren't as steady as they once were. I will get so pics today of the finished bike and post them up this evening.

I took it for a quick ride to make sure everything was doing what it was supposed to and it scoots! As it's a newly rebuilt engine I was very light on the throttle but it got up and went very well, when it's run in it will be a little weapon I think.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback.

Merry Xmas all, stay safe and have a good one.

Mark

So finally the finished article.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this thread. I've done the best I can to make it a bit interesting and not just a bland walk through.

Thanks to those who gave feedback, was much appreciated.

Merry Xmas to all and have a safe one.

Mark

Latest posts

Back