Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettLo

Reaction score
Hey guys ,

Awhile ago I changed my fork oil. And would like to "top" them up a little to try get them a little firmer. Is there a way to do this without removing the forks again etc ?

For example, would I just remove the caps on the top of the fork and add say 20ML to each leg ? Or is there another way ?

Cheers

Yep that'd work, assuming there at the same level in both already. Just undo the top caps and pour away. Take note that once you undo the top nut the fork will drop through the tripples so I would put it on a stand and do one at a time. Should get ya sorted.

Yep that'd work, assuming there at the same level in both already. Just undo the top caps and pour away. Take note that once you undo the top nut the fork will drop through the tripples so I would put it on a stand and do one at a time. Should get ya sorted.

Hey timeeh,

Thanks for that. I currently have it up on a stand am I best off keeping the front wheel off the ground to avoid any pressure on the forks and front end of the bike why I'm adding a little extra oil ? Sorry silly questions ..haha

Cheers

Hey timeeh,

Thanks for that. I currently have it up on a stand am I best off keeping the front wheel off the ground to avoid any pressure on the forks and front end of the bike why I'm adding a little extra oil ? Sorry silly questions ..haha

Cheers

Yep that'd be best. Also maybe get yourself a big siringe, as it's a nice easy way to not only measure the amount, but it makes it piss easy to put the oil in, otherwise you'll need to find yourself a thin ended funnel to fit between the spring (if that makes sense?)

Yep that'd be best. Also maybe get yourself a big siringe, as it's a nice easy way to not only measure the amount, but it makes it piss easy to put the oil in, otherwise you'll need to find yourself a thin ended funnel to fit between the spring (if that makes sense?)

Ahh yep I think I'm with ya here.
Hmmm so I'll have to try get my hands on a siringe first. And just to make sure I'm on the same page as you, your talking about putting the new oil in through the little air release valve correct ?..or removing the actual 20mm (or whatever size) nut from the top of the fork itself ?..

Cheers

Hmmm, spose you could do it through the bleeders though if you get a small enough siringe, but i was talking about removing the top nuts.

Hmmm, spose you could do it through the bleeders though if you get a small enough siringe, but i was talking about removing the top nuts.

Ok sweet, cheers mate. I think doing it via the top nut would be easier. If I remember correctly the spring sits around the top nut when it's screwed on is that right ? (It's been awhile since I had it all apart)...I'm just trying to work out if the nut would go back on correctly with the spring etc? Or would I need to compress the front shocks when putting the nut back on after adding the oil ? 0.o

Cheers

Ok sweet, cheers mate. I think doing it via the top nut would be easier. If I remember correctly the spring sits around the top nut when it's screwed on is that right ? (It's been awhile since I had it all apart)...I'm just trying to work out if the nut would go back on correctly with the spring etc? Or would I need to compress the front shocks when putting the nut back on after adding the oil ? 0.o

Cheers

No compressing of spring necessary it'll stay compressed (im assuming these are upside down forks?)

No compressing of spring necessary it'll stay compressed (im assuming these are upside down forks?)

Yea mate there USD forks. Cheers for that, thought I better ask just in case. Don't think I'll get around to doing it today. But I'll post back here when I do it to let you know how I go.

So assuming, undo the nut, drop the required amount of oil in, put the nut back on, repeat for the other leg. Sounds easy enough just to top them up.

Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it.

Cheers

you will probably want to loosen the allen head bolts holding the fork leg into the top tripple clamps too
otherwise the tripples will clamp the fork tubes onto the alloy nut tops

when you undo it fully from the tubes, it will spring up a bit, so be ready for it.
you will need to hold the nuts down hard into the fork tubes, to get them started, when doing them back up too as they'll be spring loaded

and when putting the the fork top cap/nut back, be careful not to cross-thread the thread in the forks. its alot easier than u'd think ;)

you will probably want to loosen the allen head bolts holding the fork leg into the top tripple clamps too
otherwise the tripples will clamp the fork tubes onto the alloy nut tops

when you undo it fully from the tubes, it will spring up a bit, so be ready for it.
you will need to hold the nuts down hard into the fork tubes, to get them started, when doing them back up too as they'll be spring loaded

Ok sweet thanks mate! Will post back when I get around to doing it. Probably when I give it a service this week if I get time. Thanks for all the advice. You just also reminded me about those nuts being spring loaded also. I read or seen somewhere about a guy having them fly off and hit the ceiling in the shed or something. So I'll keep an eye on that! Haha

Cheers

and when putting the the fork top cap/nut back, be careful not to cross-thread the thread in the forks. its alot easier than u'd think ;)

Hey mate, thanks for that I remember from when I pulled them apart awhile back that there easy to cross thread. I almost done it once but luckily picked up on it. Thanks for the input also, always appreciated!

Cheers

Ok sweet thanks mate! Will post back when I get around to doing it. Probably when I give it a service this week if I get time. Thanks for all the advice. You just also reminded me about those nuts being spring loaded also. I read or seen somewhere about a guy having them fly off and hit the ceiling in the shed or something. So I'll keep an eye on that! Haha

Cheers
you'll be right, if you dont have pressure on the fork legs (i.e the bike is off the ground) they shouldn't pop out at all (from memory) I have always removed them b4 hand, but that is cause i have replaced all the fluid.

you'll be right, if you dont have pressure on the fork legs (i.e the bike is off the ground) they shouldn't pop out at all (from memory) I have always removed them b4 hand, but that is cause i have replaced all the fluid.

Hey timeeh,

Thanks for that. I have an adjustable bike stand here so I'll just make sure it's raised and off the ground. Since I put new oil in them awhile back the bikes done bugger all riding/hours. The forks could just be a little bit firmer, so if I add oil into each leg by day 20ml increments I should be sweet. I just can't remember the total amount that I put in last time! :(

So I've finally got around to playing around with these forks on my bike. Just a quick question, each leg currently has 150ml of oil. Before I add so an extra 20-30ml in each leg, does anyone know the maximum amount that should be in each leg ? And also, does adjusting the little screw on top of the fork adjust firmness or whatever..?

Cheers

You shouldnt add too much oil in your forks, the correct amount im not sure, i would need to know the length of your forks, but if u over fill them, u cant blow out seals and lose all pressure in your forks e.g. your forks will just collapse when your riding, which would be bad!
As for the little screw on the top, is it a flathead screw? if so, i think its the "re-bound" adjustment. im not too clear on it, i could be wrong. but its best to just take a screwdriver out with u when your riding and tune it until you find what suits you best :)

You shouldnt add too much oil in your forks, the correct amount im not sure, i would need to know the length of your forks, but if u over fill them, u cant blow out seals and lose all pressure in your forks e.g. your forks will just collapse when your riding, which would be bad!
As for the little screw on the top, is it a flathead screw? if so, i think its the "re-bound" adjustment. im not too clear on it, i could be wrong. but its best to just take a screwdriver out with u when your riding and tune it until you find what suits you best :)

Hey blender,

Thanks for your reply. Yea it is the little flathead one. Im aware of the fact of blowing seals etc. I think I might skip adding extra oil just incase. And stick with your idea of seeing if I can adjust that little screw when riding to see if I can make them a bit more comfortable.

Cheers

well dont be afraid of adding more oil and making your bike more comfy to ride, just be weary as not to overfill em :)
And if i recall correctly, the more you screw the re-bound it, the quicker it'll rebound, and the more its screwed out the slower it'll rebound.

Ok no worries thanks man. You wouldn't know how much oil the forks on a pitpro 140 would take ? Would a maximum of say 180ml in each leg be to much do u think ? It's just when jumping they seem a bit to soft etc.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back