Adjusting valve clearances

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davis

Reaction score
So I just finished adjusting the valve clearances using the guide on this website was pretty straight forward, just wanted to know was I supposed to drain the oil before I opened the cover for the exhaust valve cause when I open it oil proceeded to leak everywhere. Is this normal or not? Looks like I'll be redoing the oil now as well.

it would only dribble a little bit out of the cover, unless your engine was angled down at the front
if a heap came out, then your engine may have been overfilled ?

Completely normal mate.

You will need to top the oil up when you do it.

Some people stand the bike up on the back wheel when checking so it doesn't leak as much out.

Cool yeah it was only dribbling out just wanted to make sure that something wasn't wrong. Have to buy some more oil and fill her back up at least I know now that the valves are correct. There is a couple of lines on the gold coloured wheel behind the cover that is next to the gear lever. What do they mean there was a couple of blank lines and two others one said F and the other said T, Does T mean Top Dead Center?

yeah T is TDC, and the F is when it fires,
with the F marking on the Flywheel lined up with the mark at 12 o'clock in the casing, the magnet on the out side of the Flywheel will be lined up with the pickup coil, the black box at the rear of the stator, outside of the flywheel

Ok cool, there is also a mark on the gear that's on the left hand side of the bike in the engine near the top of the engine it has a chain running around it, forgive me not sure of the correct name. Should that mark also be lined up when its TDC along with the other mark with the letter T next to it?

yeah that would be on the camshaft gear, it needs to line up with the marking at 9 o'clock in the head
so both need to be lined up for you to be able set the clearances, if the front marking on the gear was facing 3 o'clock
there is a chance you could bend your valves if you try starting/running the engine

so i'll double check but I think the marks are a little bit off when one is lined up the other is not on the mark by a little bit maybe a 2cm. I'll recheck them but if this is the case how to I go about getting them both lined up is it easier or adjust one or the other?

Also, when you get it all lined up correctly, take your spark plug out and put a screwdriver in, and see if you can feel the piston, if not, its 180 degrees out

i'll give that a try, how do I go about getting both lined up is it better to try adjust one over the other?

they shouldn't be out ?
was it running ok before, or have you had the engine apart ?

If your at TDC, your flywheel should be at 12 o' clock, if not then it could be a stretched timing chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
haven't pulled the engine apart and it has been running fine, the engine is a 140cc the bike is a pitpro bigfoot.

turn it over to tdc and take a picture of the flywheel T marking lined up at 12 o'clock, and a picture of where the cam gear marking is pointing to

You guys cant read time or what? TDC cam chain in 9 o'clock, flywheel tdc is 12 o'clock....stop confusing the poor lad Blender!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

That was like a whacky episode of play school...

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

So after adjusting the valves I don't have the bogging down problem anymore also changed the oil as I did have a semi synthetic in the engine don't know if that also had anything to do with it. Still needs a little bit of carb tuning I think and still backfires on deacceleration. Could premium fuel be affecting anything it has been running on 98 but when the tank runs out I'm just gonna use 91 unleaded.

Latest posts

Back