Advice from the 125cc experts please!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpstar2014

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a new member, I've been scouring this forum for the last few nights looking at all the do's and dont's and tutorials of set ups and troubleshooting and found this forum very helpful and extremely well structured and was able to answer a lot of my questions just from the sticky's! Super stoked.

I have a few questions though. I recently bought a second hand chinese 90cc locally off Gumtree and found it awesome fun, replaced the carbie etc and ended up selling it for a profit.

Now I'm looking for a 125cc second hand off Gumtree and I've been keeping an eye on the "eBay/Gumtree bargain" thread as well, I know that a bike is only as good as the maintenance it's received from it's owner and I know to steer clear from Ducar but I want some expert opinion on especially what to look for when buying and which other sort of brands are good/bad.

I'm not doing any sort of huge Nitro Circus triple backflips only smashing dirt trails etc with a mate.

Thanks heaps in advance!

Mate I think you just answered your own question! ;)

These "cheap" gumtree/eBay bike are just that, cheap n nasty and usually rusty. If you find yourself a good clean one they will usually 99% of the time have the same crappy suspension as all the other crappy rusty ones.

That's not to say killer bargains don't exist, just saying they're more like rocking horse poo!

Atomik are doing awesome bikes these days and at a ridiculous price too!
I've never been a fan of atomik bikes untill recently when a good mate of mine nearly won, and should of won IMO the 12" AMA at the Sinister50's event! That thing has been problem free since the day he brought it. Admittedly he's changed the suspension, carby n tires, but he originally paid $800 for it delivered!

For $1300 with adjustable front forks, alloys rims and 18hp! The Atomik Fuse is a really hard combo to beat brand new price wise!

Last edited:
Okay, great. I'm picking up a brand new 125cc "thumbstar" tomorrow. It's not an atomik but I'm going to bear in mind what you've told me and what I've learnt from here with me.
Thanks again for all your help!

Latest posts

Back