Alot of compression on motovert pro

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick125

Reaction score
In my motovert pro i have a lifan 150cc. I got it a few days ago and i noticed this morning when i went to kick start the bike it had alot of compression and kick backed really fast and hit me in the leg and it wouldn't start and im only 55 kgs. Does anyone know whats wrong with the bike? (cactus??)

There's nothing wrong with your engine ... You just need to learn the right procedure and technique for kick starting hi compression , long stroke motors ... Remember ... any engine that pulls like a bull from low revs will also kick back back like one ...

Check this thread out and follow the advice of Mittz and Fiddy@Norway to the letter ... They're both spot on in what they say ... It IS possible that the static advance is set a bit too high ... The stator plate of a Lifan 150 ORK ignition can be rotated anti clockwise to back off the timing ... BUT that will also back off the bottom end punch a bit as well ..

http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/17589-breaking-my-ankle.html

Here's another thread with Numroe's advice :

http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/17937-140cc-lifan-kick-start-problem.html

And another - few pages with in depth info .. :p :

http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/17014-lifan-140-chewing-gears.html#post161462

what is tdc and how do you find it. I think someone should make a vid on proper kick starting of a bike. By the way thanks for you help cactus ;)

Top Dead Centre (TDC) is when the piston is at the top of the bore and the crank pin is in the middle of the crank dwell (middle of the two extremes of rock over) at the top of the stroke ... You can check for TDC by looking at the flywheel ... IF it has a "T" mark on it ... the piston will be at TDC when that mark is aligned with an index mark/notch on the crank case ... IF there's NO mark on the flywheel rotor and the engine is new with the ignition having never been touched by anyone ... then the piston will be 15 degrees before TDC when the pin sticking out of the ORK rotor lines up with the ignition pulse pickup on the backing plate ... You'd start the kick just after the hard spot is felt thru the kick lever and the rotor pin has just gone past the pickup (flywheel rotating anti clockwise) ... It's actually ATDC where you want to start the kick ... A standing for after ...

A video on how to start a bike can't show you where TDC is on a bike with the flywheel cover on ... TDC is where the hard spots are thru the range of the kick lever ... You go by FEEL ... You have to slowly edge the crank past the hard spot ... then give a swift hard FULL range kick ... without twisting the throttle ... Forget doing it the fairy-like way that you learnt from kicking a 125 or smaller two stroke (similar to a dog trying to scratch itself with a rear paw) ... :p You kick a 4 stroke like you're trying to bust a thick tree branch sitting on two jay blocks in half ... If you have a press button kill switch , you can hold it in at the very start of the kick , then let it out about a quarter of the way thru the kick stroke ...

You may also need to go to a gym for some heavy squat and leg press training to pack some beef on ya' pins ...

Last edited:
probly just ya engine at top dead centre or ya timing or ya just gota learn how 2 start it propely

is this guy in the vid doing it right
YouTube - XR600 starting

yes he's doing it the right way, the only difference is that that bike's got a decompression lever on the handlebar to help getting it past TDC before the kick, but the approach is the same on all thumpers.

this is how I do it:
make sure your jetting is atleast decent and your valves has to be adjusted right.
when the bike is cold I like to kick it through slow a couple of times with the killswitch off, just to get fresh air flowing through the system.
next I kick it slow until I hit the hardest spot, this is TDC, gently "push" the lever an inch or so into the hard spot, release the lever all the way up, now it's time for the real kick.
DO NOT JUMP ON THE KICKSTARTER! be firm with it, don't kick it like it owes you money, kick it from the top ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM! without touching the throttle, if you have to throttle it your jetting is wrong, and blipping the throttle only increases the chance of a kick-back.
if you've done it right the bike should fire right up, if it didn't fire or you messed up the kick you'll have to find TDC again, do not get frustrated and start kicking wildely.

Latest posts

Back