Apollo ADR 125 Fix Up

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up this bike for $225 off Craigslist for my first pit bike project...the previous owner had absolutely abused this machine for it being so new.

It had a broken rear hub on the sprocket due to the knuckle head using a large wood bolt instead of getting actual bolts that fit.

So the first thing I had to buy was a rear wheel assembly which put me back another 80ish...now my goal is to get it running correctly before I dump any more money into it.

My question to you all is if anyone has replaced these metal tanks? Also any places I can start getting upgrades for it once I figure out this only running on half choke thing.

I'll be posting progress and asking many questions so I appreciate any help you all can give!

This is what the bike looked like initially when I picked it up and I tore of the plastics.

d6983253a38b1584b9c9834886812839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Miniriders,

What carby is on it?
The carby issue sounds like the Pilot jet is blocked/gummed up, or there's a blockage in the Pilot circuit?
Pull the fuel bowl off (dry the fuel bowl gasket as soon as the bowl is off (they expand and don't seal properly otherwise)and clean it out,
remove the main and pilot jets as well as the mixture screw.
Check that the holes though the middle of the jets are clear of debris/gum, poke a strand of copper wire through them, you can't always see gum, and it can restrict the jets.
spray it out with carby cleaner and blow through the 2 or 3 ports on the intake/filter side of the carby
You should feel air coming out one of the holes underneath where the jets and mixture screw go.

Once it's clean, fit the mixture screw back in, the base setting is about 1.5 full turns out from done up. (tune/adjust to suit from there)
Refit the jets and put the carby back on.
Use some new fuel hose and a filter.

If it's a china copy Mikuni 22/26mm oval bore then i'd suggest fitting a bigger pilot jet to it, they come standard with a 15.
Replace it with a #20 Pilot jet and it'll solve a lot of problems, it makes it easier to start, and a lot more responsive too.
Chuck a brand new NGK C7HSA spark plug in it too if it doesn't have one already.

We don't get the metal tanks here in Australia, i'm 99% sure that is a CRF70 style tank going by your plastics, a new plastic one here is only $33 inc delivery- CRF70 Style GAS Fuel Petrol Tank 150cc 160cc PIT PRO Trail Dirt Bike | eBay

TBolt US would be the best place to contact re upgrades
But i'd be looking at upgrading the fork and rear shock first.

Cheers, Craig

Hey Craig thanks for the info...I had a hell of a time getting that carb apart as it didn't have actual screws but more of a rivet so I had to drill those out and back them out...anyway when I finally got it apart it was the cleanest carb I've ever seen...it's a copy of this Mikuni 26mm Flange mount carb - WHS-1804 - Carbs and Jets - Pit Bike Engine Parts - TBolt USA, LLC

The needle doesn't even have grooves for different clip positions so I'm going to throw some washers under the clip to try richening it up and see if that helps...I set my valves to .005 since I don't have feelers smaller yet...

I did throw a new plug in it and it looks like the bike is running rich by the sooty color...but then again I'm ran it on half choke so that would make sense right? After 1/4 throttle she just bogs hard...maybe I'll take some pics here tomorrow and a video of how it's running...

Would you know anything about why the bike "grabs" when I have the clutch in and shift it down into first? It hits hard.

Any particular reason you suggest the fork/shock upgrades? I'm thinking of grabbing this 2004 Pitsterpro pro that's broken down for parts...think I can get it for around 250-300 but it looks like it has some decent suspension on it

Guessing the clutch cable needs adjustment, or adjustment behind the cover r/h side of engine.

Carby is not this style ?

$_3.JPG

And the start/rev fuel issue will be the Pilot jet is too small, is there a number on it ?

Hey man i seen you sent me a message on this bike but im unsure of where i go to look at it haha,

nice bike she needs cleaned up quite a bit, my bike has the same things on it, the problem i have had with mine bought brand new is that the carb standard on these apollos is a PZ26 with #15 pilot jet which also is what the copy mikuni is, if you get a mikuni copy listen to that guy! he told me to put a #20 in mine and tune the mixture screw and she ran good once i got it right, always have to tweek it until its perfect but once it is these bikes run very well imo.. and they sound really nice.. the engines are built well imo and they are heavy bikes..

the metal tanks on these are different from a normal pit bike, on a plastic tank pit there is usaslly 2 screws or one at the top end of the tank, these metal tanks on the apollos seem to have one screw on the bottom of tank that gos into the frame and then up top they have frame top things which you slide the tank into and it holds it in that way.. im not sure if a plastic tank would fit on this unless you done some modification to it??

id advise you in my experiance with these bikes, is to just upgrade the carb and tune it in and get the bike running well first, then start with the tank if ya dont like it dude, unless of course yours is leaking or cracked?? i dry mine after every ride just incase damn rust forms or something lol

so far though i just upgraded the carb and adjusted the valves to the settings MY67XR told me to do and everything seems fine with her now, really good bikes dude, nice throttle response once there tuned up correctly and they are bulletproof!

id advise you to just upgrade your carb check your valves are adjusted, fix anything thats broke
then go on to buy a better stronger chain (the stock ones really are ****! and tend to stretch fast)
then some better bars, now these stock bars are actually quite thick and heavy, when i changed mine they were thick and heavy and inside the bar its at least 7mm thick! but they do look kinda ugly so i switched mine out lol..
make sure to tighten everything up with locktite and get her running and test it out after all this.. then just get new upgraded nice parts dude.. or get everything at once haha//

good luck with your bike dude, my67xr is a smart guy with these things and he will defo get your bike looking good if ya arent too good with mechanical stuff!

Well since I've got to asking all these questions I decided to go down and take it all apart again...here's both sides of the carb

b090160a79c67b87669cc0e5842a475e.jpg

9c3541a6d0a5dcc6ac8ae13e23cbbed8.jpg

I took the jets out and none had numbers on them...here's what I got

d0e83b8d50804de1de37ad3e1effefd4.jpg

ddc2f4e6e97a015615d1a858bde3d26e.jpg

d9476127a105aea024ffdddc4ca2cd48.jpg

Also was wonder if there is a way to get that brass out of the far right hole? I believe that's the "pilot" jet but it doesn't look like any I've seen

ce73549025c9c794487361ec209b6194.jpg

After completely dismantling that and having it now sit in cleaner I decided to clean out my gas tank...thank goodness the petc0ck had a screen on it cause the bike didn't have a fuel filter

b91cecf0fd79b3a0dd605056cb25ce23.jpg

I'll be spraying out that tank tomorrow...also I think to get a crf70 tank I'll have to fab a front mount for it but that's fine...look at how this thing sets in front on the frame

78200fa132fcf77a373fcda8d8ad40ae.jpg

So after that lengthy post should I just toss this carb as suggested or should I see if I can get this thing going first? I did put a washer under the eclip of the needle to see if that would help at all.

That JING KE carby isn't the best for your engine, but you could try cleaning it to get it running for the time being.
In your pic above the hole directly to the right of the main jet, at the bottom of that you should be able to see a small hole into the main bore of the carby.
Your's looks blocked there, poke a strand of copper wire through it a few times, then see if you can see light through it.

On the far right, under the brass cap that is your mixture screw, you should be able to pick that brass cover/plate out if you dig with something sharp from the side of the plate.

Get one of these carby's if you can- Mikuni 22mm Carb - WHS-0957 - Carbs and Jets - Pit Bike Engine Parts - TBolt USA, LLC
But you'll also need a #20 pilot jet to suit it too, the stock #15 pilot is too small, and maybe a new 38mm foam filter if your old one doesn't fit the new carby
You can get those Mikuni 22mm copy carby's cheaper if you try too, they sell for about $40AU here

And your fuel tap, on the bottom of it under the square head plug is another filter, clean that out too while it's off.

Last edited:
So are you recommending to downsize from the 26mm to a 22mm? Looks like there's versions of that in 26mm as well.

Also the only port I see going into the carb is from that main jet...I'll see if I can't get something to poke through that pilot hole though. Thanks!

-Brett

Current Project:
Apollo ADR 125

So I threw a washer under the eclip on the needle to see if that would help my non choke performance...pretty sure it made it worse

Runs great on half choke...here's a video

https://vimeo.com/121579207

Guess I'll finally just junk this carb and go for a new one...any tips are appreciated

-Brett

Current Project:
Apollo ADR 125

Looks like the choke assembly is moving as you rev it. Junk it an buy a genuine mikuni or a 24mm oko, those jinge kei carbs suck hairy monkey balls

Looks like the choke assembly is moving as you rev it. Junk it an buy a genuine mikuni or a 24mm oko, those jinge kei carbs suck hairy monkey balls

hahahah the little child in me laughed hard at that...thanks

Anyway I went ahead and bought this Cookie Usage : MotopartsMaxATV Parts & Dirt Bike Parts, Moped Parts Go Kart Parts, Dune Buggy Parts and Accessories

I've got some #20 jets on the way as well as a new airfilter...we'll give this a go and hopefully it'll start running half normal so i can start the upgrading :)

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Well sure enough the bike runs like a bat out of hell...think I need to mess with the mixture screw a little cause it hesitates just a hair...but it's a completely different bike and now on to the upgrades!! Thanks for all the input guys

-Brett

Current Project:
Apollo ADR 125

i just bought and installed this carb too. but it is now hard to start. i had it running yesterday but today i tried 20 times i cant get it to start. i was reading some posts here. do i need to upgrade the jets too?

thanks for the info. i had the same carb and issue with mine. i picked it up a few weeks ago off of offerup for 300. i changed the plug, it was fouled out pretty bad. my choke had string attached to it and i didint know why. i removed the string and got it to run and it jumpped like crazy. i ordered the same carb that you had linked here. mine was not in as bad of shape as yours but the plastic is all broke and the seat is missing the attaching bolts. so once i get it running correctly i will address that issue. i got screw extracters and took mine apart too. cleaned it up. put it back together and had fuel coming out of the air filter. so i took it back apart and checked the float. it seemed ok but i figured it was allowing to much fuel and not shuting off. because i also was getting fuel running out of the over flow. i filled the bowl with water 1/2 way and it ran out the tube still. so i knew the carb was shot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back