Apollo Orion AGB-30D 250cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobullneeded

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been searching over the forums for the last couple of days, So finally decided to join up and seek further advice.

Brought myself a second hand Orion 250cc, Bike started fine, Unfortunately couldn't test ride it due to the location. Brought it home, Fired it up, Idled away, So took it for a ride.

As soon as the bike gets to higher revs, It bogs down and dies, Thought the carby was the issue so have cleaned it out, Changed plug, and tried again. Same issue. Tried to dial in the carby, Any adjustment seems to have no improvement(Changing it from current settings causes it not to start) Have checked for leaks around the carby, Also pulled the plug to see a white / yellow spark, Spark plug also when pulled was pitch black / wet. Also noticed that the bike is hard to start when hot. (Adjusted the Valves, Fixed that) But managed to flatten the battery so starts fine off jumper leads to the car. Could riding with a flat battery have damaged anything?

Does anyone have any tips on what it may be, or any electrical tests that can be performed on the bike?

Check the wire(s) to the coil are not loose and rattling around on the terminals, when dark check the spark plug lead isn't sparking onto the head, you will see if it is. Are you operating the choke the right way? The butterfly type choke lever can rattle around causing the choke to come on whilst riding.

If the plug is black and wet then it sounds like its running very rich, the carby slide needle has 5 settings on it, the top is leanest and the bottom is richest. Remove the cable and spring from the slide and then push the needle out(check how the needle holder clip is situated before pushing out) and see where the clip is on the needle and maybe move it up by one increment to a leaner position. But honestly it could be the carby is playing up and have seen it at work all the time, you can clean and clean but its what's in the casting you can't see and a carb replacement maybe needed.

I have the same bike. First of all, spark plug should be a nice bright blue, not white/yellow?
I 'think' I have a stock carby on mine, it sure seems like it. I have a 100/105 main jet (can't remember which one), stock pilot jet (42?). Idle screw is about 1.5 turns out

Also i've completely removed the battery (check to see if you have a good grounding connection on the frame/engine somewhere) and I have no problem with starting it or when running at any temperature.

That said, if there's anything this engine needs it's a better carb. As long as your spark and magneto are good then i'd say do yourself a favor and drop in a better carb. The engine as is does feel very flat up top, and it seems there's not much point in revving it past ~5000rpm. A better flowing carb should bring it to life

Last edited:
rotn50 - Bang on the money, Coil plug on the bag was a little loose , Re crimped a new end. Bit better, Same Issue.

Lost spark entirely after playing around, Pulled the magneto cover off and it was a mess in there. Smelt burnt, So replaced Magneto.

Pulled the carby back apart, It was dirty again, Checked airfilter, Clean.
Didnt how ever check the pipe, Obviously someone has fired something down and sand / **** everywhere.
Couldnt find an easy way to get the box out so off with the rear subframe.
Cleaned that up.

Big improvement but still an issue, Grabbed the lead from the coil (bike running) ZAP ZAP ZAP. Found my issue, The coil lead isnt doing its job right.
Also, Carby main jet had a 105 in it, I dropped it to a 100 whilst playing around. Fingers crossed it isnt to lean now.

So now, I have a running bike, On a trailer waiting to go, As soon as i can find the time around the other commitments haha

Thank you both for your help!

All good buddy, glad you got it sorted, the 100 should not be a prob mate, keep in touch I'm keen to hear how it goes. Cheers Mick.

Latest posts

Back