Atomik 140 - Ducar leaking oil, what is this bolt?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPimP

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Atomik 140 is starting to leak oil, I took off the bottom guard and engine mount initially expecting a crack there, but no leak.

Then I proceeded to take off the crack case cover (left) to see if there was leaks from any oil seaks (rear sproket + generator), but no leak.

Suddenly while running the rubber grommet shown in red pops off and oil leaks out. What is this bolt for?

oil leak.jpg

Cheers,

Stuart

That bolt behind there holds the gear drum in place, the drum has two forks on it that select the gears, tighten it up but dont overtighten to much, and once it is tightened turn it the other way a little bit, the bolt wont loosen when you turn the other way your just making sure that due to tightening that the drum isnt locked in from this. And welcome to miniriders mate.

Thanks for quick reply.

I have tightened slightly (as much as im willing too), it didnt move much though, maby 1/100th of a turn.

Is it safe to use gearbox (car auto) sealant on the grommet, or is it a breather for the engine oil pressure. I was thinking if I seal it up its less likely to leak...

Cheers

Last edited:
Was it loose mate?

Not really. 1/100th of a turn. Actually probably more - about 10 degrees. But im afraid of snapping it if putting more force on the cheap bolt hehehe.

I just went over the engine (this is not a new bike), and the breather for the oil (tube off top of engine) was cable tied back on itself.

This is surely not good? I think they may have done this for transport reasons from factory? Anyway I have cut the cable tie - and hope this will reduce crank case pressure, which seems very high - might be forcing oil out.

What do you think. Maybe the previous owner didnt take the cable tie off. My other atomik has this cable shorter without any kinks or cable ties.

Cheers

Good one mate, i reckon that should fix it, the pressure build up can do that, usually pushes out a seal on the kickstarter or pressure passes the rings creating blowby which may mean new piston and rings, Id def say the pressure caused the oil to pass thru the bolt, there isnt a seal or o-ring behind that bolt, has the bike been blowing whitish smoke out the exhaust?? How long have you ridden it with the breather blocked?

Ridden about 5-8 hours.

Theres a small amount of white smoke, I noticed that today unfortunately. The rings probably got some wear.

More disturbingly I got this one second hand - so who knows how long they used it really.

Anyway if its just rings - I can do that later, have done them on a Z50 previously. Not fun but feasible :)

Last edited:
It should be okay mate, just check your oil level regularly and when theres no sign of oil loss she should be fine, the good thing is that the oil coming out of the rubber bung was also the pressure escaping so id say it will be fine mate.

Latest posts

Back