Atomik motocross getting recreation registration

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Divy - If you have a motorcycle license, you can ride a rec reg bike on certain roads only (non built up etc). So you can't ride it in the city or something like that. To ride in the city/suburbs you'd need a full registration.

Hey skintag, I'm really keen to find out how you go. Let us know if you actually get it. I have another friend who's doing the same, but haven't heard from her in a little while now.

I'll have a bike I want to take bush from time to time, and it's $1,000 fine without rec reg.

Rec reg means you can ride basically in the bush. that's it. Cops won't let you ride on the roads. certainly not sealed roads I believe. and you need a licence. but the requirements are much less. doesn't have to be Australia ADR complianced, so a chinese pit bike will go through. But must have lights and one mirror I believe. Not sure about indicators or horn, but sounds like you have to have a horn. that's about it I believe.

Cool. I'll post updates in this thread once I've completed everything (should be this weekend).

Then I'll post once I get rec reg (should be not this weekend but the next I will take for inspection).

Quick update - My bike is now fitted with all the lights and gear necessary to get the registration.

Have booked in with Vicroads to get it registered this Thursday. Fingers crossed it passes all the requirements..

Ps. I reckon the bike looks cool with the headlight setup I have got. Will post a few pics once I get a friend to take some photos.. Don't have a digital camera.

not as bad a pain in the arse as getting busted with no rego.... $500 fine and the bike possibly getting impounded

Yeah, not that bad really.
Paying $60 a year to be able to ride about and not get hassled/worry about police, + the benefits of insurance is a pretty good deal I think.

yeah, TAC cover is handy... they'll pay any ambulance costs (even if its a few grand for a helicopter)... they'll pay all hospital costs, they'll pay for wages while your off sick (80% of your normal pay any way) and they'll pay for all the physio/after hospital treatment required to get you back to health... well you have to pay the first $500 worth then they pay the rest, unless you stay in hospital overnight from the initial accident then they pay everything

yeah, TAC cover is handy... they'll pay any ambulance costs (even if its a few grand for a helicopter)... they'll pay all hospital costs, they'll pay for wages while your off sick (80% of your normal pay any way) and they'll pay for all the physio/after hospital treatment required to get you back to health... well you have to pay the first $500 worth then they pay the rest, unless you stay in hospital overnight from the initial accident then they pay everything

Yep.. deal of the century for 60 bucks a year.

I had a look on my pit pro 125 and it's got a connection on the front brake for brake lights. should be pretty straight forward to rig up some lights, front and rear. Just then need a mirror which should be fairly easy and then I think I'll just need a horn.

Good news. Went to Vicroads yesterday and got my bike inspected.
Got the recreational registration for my Atomik!!

hi skintag,

can you just tell us again exactly what you had to do to get rec reg? mods you had to do?

this is not about getting it road legal, its about getting it bush legal

congrats on passing tho, i might have to look at getting it done before i spend some time up at lake eildon or any place where you need reg

nice mate! glad we can get these Rec Rego;d been wondering about that!
NOW POST UP SOME PICS SO OTHERS CAN GANDER AT YOUR HANDY WORK!

hey,
form what i understand all u need is a speedo, ligts & a few other bits & pieces, also i understand it has to go a certain speed, no use trying 2 get a 50 legal even though i have seen it happen, you'd want it 2 go fast, you wouldn't ride it on freeways so only about 80km but u wouldn want 2 drop the guts of the young petrol heads on Friday nights so get a fast bike 2 blow em off, lol.
i wouldn try for like a 125, 200 or 250

hey,
form what i understand all u need is a speedo, ligts & a few other bits & pieces, also i understand it has to go a certain speed, no use trying 2 get a 50 legal even though i have seen it happen, you'd want it 2 go fast, you wouldn't ride it on freeways so only about 80km but u wouldn want 2 drop the guts of the young petrol heads on Friday nights so get a fast bike 2 blow em off, lol.
i wouldn try for like a 125, 200 or 250

This is for REC REGO.
being BUSH/TRAIL riding. if you are silly enough to get your dirtbike rec rego'd and ride it on public roads, expect to get pulled over and fined. REC reg is just that RECREATIONAL.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
as for trying to race people on friday nights or whatever, its this kind of attitude that gives US doing the right thing a bad name.. If you want to race, BUY a R1 or SP1, put your money where your mouth is and take it to the track.
KEEP RACING OFF THE ROADS.

Oh yeah, one more thing for those planning on getting rec reg...

Get a copy of the invoice for your bike with engine number and VIN. The Vicroads wanker kicked up a fuss that my invoice didn't show the enginer number or VIN. I had to get Atomik to fax over (something they don't even record) - which didn't prove anything because they just faxed over the numbers I read out to them on the phone during the inspection :)
But I doubt I would have got my rego without it.

wot did u do about power for the lights? did u just hardwire a battery and put it somewhere or wot?

My lights run off the main electricals. Ie. runs of the engine..

But I do have a battery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back