Atomik motocross getting recreation registration

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would you be able 2 get sum sort of rec reg 4 a 16 yr old rydin the bike in the bush?
etc. blackood/state alpine forest etc.

would you be able 2 get sum sort of rec reg 4 a 16 yr old rydin the bike in the bush?
etc. blackood/state alpine forest etc.

My thoughts are that you could rec reg the bike, but I think the person riding the bike could be fined for not having a license.

Here's a new pic of my bike. Have changed the rear light setup. Also upgraded to a high rise seat and fastace rear shock.

Attachments

• Bike.JPG
    Bike.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 189
OK guys, havin rec regd 4 bikes in vic(inc crf50) let me just state the facts as some of you have it all screwed up.
For rec reg you need: A headlight, a taillight with a clear section for numberplate illumination, a right hand mirror, a chain guard, a guard or cover for the front sprocket, and a horn.
The horn does not have to be and electric type, a bicycle horn fulfills requirements.
The electrical system must not be a total loss system, ie if you run them off a battery, the battery must be charged by the engine.
To rec reg a bike in your name you must at least have a learners permit, if you dont have one you will have to reg it in the name of someone with a license.
As for a receipt Vicroads will accept any receipt with the engine and frame number and name of person you bought it off, even if it is handwritten.
Once you are rec regd, if you have an accident you are covered by TAC insurance, as long as your accident occurs on a named track/road.

Now to set up a bike for lights that doesn't have electric start, the easiest way is to swap the stator for something like this
HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/stator-assembly-thumpstar-crf-dirtbike-50-110-125-140_W0QQitemZ330176930021QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29705QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
. This is what i used on my crf 50 as it is the same as a crf/xr one but it has lighting coils. Once you have swapped stators, the wire for the lighting coil needs to go to a regulator and a rectifier, buy a combined unit of ebay.The rectifier converts ac to dc and the regulator keeps the voltage at no higher than 12v dc. Heres a wiring diagram for it
HTML:
http://www.hooperimports.com/showpages.asp?pid=1013
.Put in a switch between the stator and reg/rect unit as these will burn out without a load on them. And also as for brake light switchs, you only need it on one lever (front or rear) to fulfill rec reg requirements, so just buy a cheap universal rear switch as its alot cheaper than a front one(especially if you have a disc brake). Hope this helps

hey i was under the impression that in qld riding moto's was always allowed in the bush! nothing needed. our local police tell us to go out bush and there are young kids everywhere riding!

You dont need to be licensed or have a leaners but you do need to be over 17 years and 9 months to get reg in your name, i have no license, but i rec regged my bike, been a bit slack getting my learners

NSW- For anyone wandering about trying to get rec rego for a moto in NSW,News Flash!......Well unless your a farmer on a property........with an ag bike...... forget it.........

Further.......I think the clowns in VIC ROADS, have really messed up, beacuse the REC rego is just supossed to be that and nothing else, you cant ride back streets in suburbia, it's just meant for farmers on farms who has need to cross or ride on a small part of the road.

This stuff up by VIC Roads is going to cost them dearly............................wankers!!!

Ive found a place that will set it all up for you for 350$$. lights break cluster and all!!

there in melbourne just on chesterville rd, there an atomik dealer...

But there dirt cheap! i had a look around at other bike shops around my area (live in bentleigh) so napean hwy and what not most of them wanted 600 plus for everything and an install!!

Ill post the address up when i get home!

They also do a good job with the lighting kits!!

You can do it yourself for a lot less, if your bike has a battery / electric start
$55 Front Light ( Just Dirt Bikes Motorcycle Wreckers Secondhand Bikes )
$15 Horn (anybike shop)
$10 Mirror ( Just Dirt Bikes Motorcycle Wreckers Secondhand Bikes )
$25 Brakelight ( Riders Edge )
$15 switches, wire, crimps/connectors (any autoshop like supa-cheap, repco ect)

nah my bike has no battery its kickstart only...

so how would i do it with that??

please keep in mind that i have NO electrical knowlege at all!!

Yes you can!!!! (In Victoria anyway)

HI All,

I've just bought a chinese bike (Shineray XY200GY) and it is rec registered here in Victoria.

My bike DOES NOT repeat, DOES NOT have a compliance plate and you cannot get one for it unless you want to spend 100's of $1000's to have it certified by the relevant state authority and/or engineers. :(

So I started to make some enquiries from VICROADS just to make sure my rec reg was legal. It is legal and this is what I got "from the horses mouth" so to speak.

In order to register a motorcycle with recreational registration in Victoria all your bike needs to have is...
  • A working rear stop lamp that comes on when either the front, rear or both brake is applied.
  • A working rear tail lamp.
  • A chain guard around the front sprocket
  • A chain guard covering the top of the chain between the front and rear sprockets.
  • One rear vision mirror
  • A working headlamp with both high and low beams controlled by handlebar mounted switches for hi/lo & on/off.
  • A receipt or proof of purchase with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on it.

I just got my rego renewal and it is $67. As previously mentioned previously in this thread this has to be the deal of the century considering the TAC insurance and what they cover you for.

I hope this helps dispell some of the "crap" that goes on about rec reg (in Victoria anyway).

Cheers,

Wozz

Last edited:
havent read this whole thing but just an add on to the above the bike must not exceed 95 db in noise, all this info is up on the vicroads website too :)

im a bit confused so no one under the age of 17 9 months can ride a motorbike legally in a state forest or bush?

So if i was to buy a 250cc chinese bike i could only ride it on private land and tracks? :S

Correct creesy, private land and tracks only
There are new laws to for learner riders, i just got a new rego sticker on the mail, it now has the letters L.A.M, learner approved motorcycle, and some info about what bikes are approved

im a bit confused so no one under the age of 17 9 months can ride a motorbike legally in a state forest or bush?

So if i was to buy a 250cc chinese bike i could only ride it on private land and tracks? :S

In NSW its 16 & 9 months

Just started doin my own rec rego conversion cant wait to see how i go. wiring is the biggest pain

Has anyone yet to get a kick start only going with the lights etc for victorian rec reg?

Latest posts

Back