ATV go kart!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky_191

Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure where to post this but mods can move if needed. This is my latest project that i have been working on for a few weeks. I'm building a GO KART!! It started as a way to learn new skills like welding and something to have fun with.

I picked up half a go kart from a mate that is based off or was a junior class sprint kart that i think was built around late 70s,early 80s. It's got a fully adjustable front such as ride height,camber,tow etc.. It's got a roll cage with a custom seat that was made out of round bars making a frame connected to the roll cage,skinned with aluminium sheet with a leather cover over that.It was way too small for me tho so I had to cut it out. It had a dash with a few switches and lights left,steering wheel, race harness. Over all a fairly intact go kart to start with. The back was missing from a previous project so I had to plan around that too.

The next part of the plan was to build a new frame and add one of the pit bike engines onto it. That changed when I found a really good deal on a busted up four wheeler. So after a long drive and a bunnings courtesy trailer i got to work stripping it. The new plan was to adapt the back half of the four wheeler to the go kart.

After a few ideas,planning and measuring i got to work. First stripping the go cart of all the bits i didn't need and then stripping the four wheeler down to it's bare frame and engine.

Will post some more updates soon. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Second part of this build. I started by stripping the plastics off the four wheeler and trying to get it started. When i brought it they said "we have had it running before" which was a total lie as the wiring was so bad and the spark plug brand new aha. They had put on a new wiring harness, spark plug and a coil but i'm pretty sure it wasn't the right one and poorly installed. I tried to fix it but ended up just rewiring the whole thing. I found the biggest problem for it not starting was all the inhibitor switches on the brakes,kill switch and key so i didn't put them into the new loom.

It did try to start but after looking through the carbie the float was held onto the needle with a bit of wire twitched up making it flood. So i replaced that and cleaned it all out and it started :D YAY!

So then i measured the four wheeler and cut the frame in half where the fuel tank normally sits. Next i welded on angle around the tubes to make a flat welding surface for cross bars. That was the best solution i found to not have to notch all the tubes to fit. After measuring a million times to make sure things would line up and be square I welded in the cross supports. One they were in a cut a bit more off the four wheeler, rolled it into place and jacked the gokart and four wheeler up and down till the ride height and angles where spot on and the whole thing level.

buggy.jpg

Thanks for reading :D

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hey all, Having some trouble with the steering. Now i think there is a few things wrong with the set up but it's stiff and hard to turn and also very twitchy. I'm thinking that the angel part on the hub is wrong and also that nothing is in line. The steering rods are too far forward on the column and the column is on an angel and again not inline with anything. My understanding is that the push pull set ups need to be inline and fairly flat or horizontal.
16707364_10208375381694508_2130098422940355407_o.jpg

16587148_10208375381734509_7081385368966455209_o.jpg

16649389_10208375380094468_2313987972383335501_n.jpg

So thinking of getting a steering rack and swapping the hubs left to right and make it steer from the front. Also that would put the column at a much better angel but after peoples suggestions. Don't really want to spend much more on this if i can get away with it and work with what i have, thanks :)

Latest posts

Back