Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Track Surface For Racing

• Dirt Track - Hard Packed

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Grass Track

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreefClothing

Reaction score
HIT YOUR OPTION IN THE POLL ABOVE

Hey guys,
We have some cool events in the works at the moment to help Sinister Fifty's, Miniriders.com and Thumpstar build the mini moto racing scene back up!

We are currently in talks with a facility on the Gold Coast and they have given us the go ahead on hosting a race meet their. There is 2 options for the track and would love some input from all you guys!

1) They have a dirt track already built. It's nice and windy with some good straights. They currently use this for dirt buggies so it's a dirt road about 5-6m wide all the way around. (We will add some jumps and berms)

2) They have got a fairly large grass area which we could possibly outline the track on and add some jumps and berms etc

Let us know what you guys would prefer and we will try our best to get this event on it's way!

If you have any other ideas, E.g Race Formats, Points systems etc... Leave your ideas below so we can utilise the best methods.

Thanks,
Troy
www.greef.com.au

Last edited:
That sounds wicked! Nice n close to home too!

Both sound good mate, both with their own advantages.

I'll be there for shizzle! :thumbup:

Awesome! Glad you'll be there!

I was actually speaking with Brendo form Sinister and gave me the idea to maybe work both tracks into it... Either 2 motos on the hard pack and 2 motos on the grass and add the points together.

Or make half the track on the dirt road and make the other half steer off onto the grass...

That would definitely mix it up a bit, kind of like rallyx.

I was at the 1210 event just gone, whilst they only had a flat grass track it was nothing short of awesome, with plenty of fun to had even from the more serious riders. That being said I think a lot of people thought it was a bit safer for their kids to race on too.

Not sure if you were thinking about having a kids event?

I don't think you're going to please everyone but I think most people will be happy to rock up and race at an event that's run well. It's the age Ol debate. Keep the paying pro's happy with a killer SX track or keep it simple and try and draw in the new guys and people who don't think they're fast enough and hope you cover cost's!

It's a tough question, just got to do what you think will work n hope for the best!

I have been tinkering with this idea for quite a while now but have yet been able to secure a track.

To run a nationals you also need to have more than 1 round in multiple states (well technically).

The first track option would be good for mini Mx. The 2nd for SX.

Race Formats now days are generally:

Stockers
88 Limo
110 stockers
10 inch am
10 inch pro
12 inch am
12 inch pro

This track in Gold Coast, Seaview and just need one in VIC and we can have ourselves a true nationals.

Is the venue MA Troy? That plays a big part in costs as well.

Haha the forever burning question.
Whatever you guys come up with Im in, sinister is in and I'm there.
Need help with anything you have my number mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Motorman,

We plan on having more rounds around Northern NSW and hopefully get some organised elsewhere around the country too ;)

I think we want to base this off more of a MX layout... More wide open hahahaha

Probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by is the venue MA Motorman?

Cheers guys for the input!

mini nationals?

979.gif

Cheers Motorman,

We plan on having more rounds around Northern NSW and hopefully get some organised elsewhere around the country too ;)

I think we want to base this off more of a MX layout... More wide open hahahaha

Probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by is the venue MA Motorman?

Cheers guys for the input!

Motorcycling Australia registered

**** yeah I'm keen!

MA as in Motorcycle Australia.

If it's an MA track you need an MA day license at minimum to ride it. That's what we have to do for VIC Mini MX Champs.

Double's the cost of most events but a lot of the good tracks are all MA. You would want to ask that question before accepting the track.

That's the great thing about Seaview event it's a private track but you do open yourself up to someone potentially sueing if injured even with waiver (they are proven to not stand up in court).

It's tough what to choose MX or SX. Certainly a lot easier to get a half decent MX track up and running.

Can you see I have been going over this in my head for some time? lol. Has always been the dream to do this.

If this is a true nationals event you need to cater for the pro riders first and foremost. You wouldn't run kids at a nationals IMO.

Really depends if you are talking about running 1 event or a Nationals Series?

I'm going to keep brain dumping in this thread to get all the idea's out there.

Hahahaha brain dumping is what we need! Thanks again, so stoked with all this information...

We might run this event as a one off for now, and if it all goes well and we get a good response we will look at doing a nationals series next year :D

I'll look into this MA details and see if it will be worth while for this one off event or keep it more simple and cheaper for riders this one, then make it full official for the 2016 nationals

Don't involve MA at all if can be avoided, race expenses will go through the roof and turn people away.
The only thing MA is interested in is money in their back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a good excuse for a road trip from Vic if the races are during uni holidays!

First of all thumbs up for chasing this up.

Do you have access to machines to build a track or is someone willing to build the track for free ?

If it's an Aussie title I wouldn't run a flat track , I'm not saying flat tracks army fun , sometimes flat tracks can award guys with the biggest engines and not the most skill
But in saying that the track doesn't need to be full blown sx.
A decent moto x track with a combination of rollers , table tops , doubles and a section you can triple will keep everyone happy

If it's just a one off event and not a nationals , you do what you want and the keen guys will always show up.

Last edited:
Ash ballards dad is a machine operator runs his own show, and is pretty keen to build a track! I would definitely talk to him if you don't have anyone else.

He's in South bris. :thumbup:

Awesome guys! I'm noting a heap of this down, run it by the team and start getting this together! Keep the ideas and tips coming through!

Cheers,

If it's just a one off event and not a nationals , you do what you want and the keen guys will always show up.

That's what I would start with.

Just run 1 race. You will learn a tonne and then worry about a nationals as that's really another kettle of fish.

Hopefully I can get some **** sorted down here and find/build a track down here then we have 3 and a Nationals on the cards. :)

damn this sounds so epic wish i wasnt in WA :'(

A round could be held in conjunction with our full size am/ road race state titles in Victoria on full size sm track at Broadford but it's MA track to would've pricey may get a discount for minis i think licensing got minis is cheaper by memory too. If anyone wants a contact for serious talks hit me up!

A round could be held in conjunction with our full size am/ road race state titles in Victoria on full size sm track at Broadford but it's MA track to would've pricey may get a discount for minis i think licensing got minis is cheaper by memory too. If anyone wants a contact for serious talks hit me up!

I'm interested mate. Send us a PM with details.

Latest posts

Back