Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a 2nd hand 2003 XR50 just under a year ago for a reasonable price and have slowly been tinkering away at it but there are still many things I'd like to add to it.

I have been on the forum for a while as a serial reader but have not posted much so thought it was about time I put it up here. I am still learning alot about these bikes so as much feedback as possible is wanted.

This is when I first bought it, as you can see it was not looked after all that well.

I didn't waste too much time in stripping the bike down and having the frame powdercoated.

I then aquired some new parts to make it a bit more user friendly with new bars, extended shifter/break pedal, footpegs, front brake lever & cable, high seat etc. and also scored a Sano +2 swingarm (powdercoated that also) for $100 which I was pretty stoked about. I got some OEM CRF50 graphics just to update the look aswell.

This is how the bike is currently looking now-

I have also just ordered a new Fast50's throttle (as there is currently some cheap chinese one on there which is crap) and a Fast50's bash plate.

Next I am looking to put in a TB88 V2 kit and a Fox Float shock.

Down the line I would like to update the front end to some zokes or speed forks, possibly a new frame and wheels.

nice build so far dude! looks abit low in the rear? fox float would probably fix that though.
keep us updated

Yea cheers mate, it is still the stock shock so as you said I'm hoping once I get myself a fox float it should even it out a bit.

Nice list of goodies you got for it champ, good to see an xr fiddy again in the midst of the crf fiddies.

this is lovely man, great build right off the bat, excellent, looks brand new.

great build mate!

only thing is your subframe is a tad bent maybe give it a bash back up & weld in some suport

Cheers for the comments.

Yea Hillz your right the subframe is a little tweaked, will straighten it out.

I plan to keep progressing with the build but it will be slower than I'd like as I live in Melbourne but the bike is currently at my folkes house in East Gippsland. So unfortunately there will be little riding done in the near future, but this won't stop me from accumulating parts (it's addictive).

Umm it might just be the pic, but in that last one it really looks like the forks are bent? Might be worth a check.

Update..

Got some new parts recently:
- Sano/Billetware cradle frame
- Fast 50s bash plate
- Fast 50s throttle
- Fast 50s dipstick
- Tapered bearings

I had been looking for an aftermarket frame for a while, but they are extremely hard to find new at the moment, I found this one on planet minis, pretty happy with it as it appears in pretty good condition.

Finally got my bike down to Melbourne and got around to bolting on some parts I had been accumulating.
Additions:
- Sano Cradle Frame
- Fast 50s billet throttle
- Fox float shock

Apologies for the average phone pics..

Ok it's been a while sine I have rode my bike or worked on it. Took it out this w/e with a couple of new parts.
- FMF Factory 4.1c (some of new might recognise it, think its been in a few people's hands on this site)
- FIVE0 bar clamp

Now saving to get a TB V2 88 kit..

57fe23390fe2b5e8bbffa8726bbe24b9.jpg

6d69bcf19eeb4c04d4e068b17b89d339.jpg

67abf525ae6d55040c3955e3357650f0.jpg

f81ce9bccffa1d8fd4356a0f5f8f06c3.jpg

Looks good mate.. You are goin to need that 88 kit to make the most of that pipe..

Thanks lads. Yea Gerro the 88 kit on next on the list. Stoked on the pipe, you did a good job heat treating it!

Slowest build ever, but I have pulled it apart again for a sproose up!

6360daea443a23e3954bd43f605cf9f8.jpg

TB88 V2 kit installed
04ce76612c1d8d056f310cc1be6e9ed5.jpg

99e5c785a1294a99bfb6ff4dbd4e5522.jpg

5bacee62c829bcef126b61ddb68e6e1f.jpg

Haven't had the chance to ride it yet, just fired it up (have next to no backyard). It is revving really high, and me not being the most mechanically minded person (accountant by trade) have been left doing my research online.
I understand a lot of people have trouble tuning these carbs, although this seems like it may be something more obvious. As soon as I fire it up it revs as if I'm holding it full throttle, if I twist the throttle it bogs and cuts out.
As I mentioned havnt had the chance to ride it, hence really look into why its revving so high, any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back