Best engine mod on a Honda z50?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest4jest

Reaction score
Ok folks . I've got a z50j that needs to be quicker , was thinking of an 88cc barrel or a chinky engine . would prefer to keep it jap engined but need to know the pros n cons , even the chinky engine do i go bullet proof 110 or a 140 for whats probarbly not much gain ,but alot more cost, given the honda is heavier than a chinese monkey (steel mudguards etc). thoughts n feelings etc please !

Jap motor any day if u r prepared to spend some serious coin,Second option would be a lifan 140 or a gpx125

I went tb 88 racehead kit on my 50 and very happy with it but if I did it again IDE go tb 108cc kit 24mm carb

wouldn't want to do any mods on my engine that couldn't be reversed tbh so i think the 108 is probs a no go , we don't get the gpx engine here we get the yx n other odds n sods like the 110 3 valve , I did run a 110 road legal pit for a while and found it just as quiick as the 125 . but i think this might be an 88cc with high lift cam n 20mil carb , already have a really nice jap pipe on the bike . just got to worry about the clutch taking the extra power !

If you are going the 88 route I would buy a hd clutch , and for the road I'd change it to 4 speed

The engine used to have an 88 before i owned it on it I'm just hoping the clutch and cam have been changed already . will find out when i start stripping it down for the barrel change

I've ridden Zed's with every thing from stock to way over 200cc, and love the YX 90, fir side streets and goofing. 4 speed, HD clutch and oil pump all stock. Honda clutch cover and later Honda stator cover swap right on. They're $215 over here, can't be much worse there. 107-114 upgrades are a quick bolt-on.

Or,,, you can source 85cc barrels marked 49cc, if wanting the stealth look. Splitting the cases for a 4 speed and stroker ain't the end of the world, and sure gets out of the way of the garbage truck more surely;)

yep i have used webike a few times there good , why dont ya go to monkeybike uk if your close , but stuff that all , your close to tjr in Europe , best in the game

tjr motorsport nice kit but £2,600 for an engine is a bit steep for me , monkeybike uk is good but almost double the price of webike , I,ve also used chells in stafford uk in the past , they are good for chinese parts and cheap too. but really want to run a honda lump in this bike so if i can build it sourcing alternative and cheaper parts suppliers then i can ride it with a bigger grin and wallet ! I was just wondering if webike was a bulk order site . Nice bike you built there snitchy

Ok finally got round to ordering an 85cc barrel and piston with the option of stroking it in to a 115cc . All parts are jap so no piston melt down or oil burning withing the first year , and i get to retain the silky smooth gearbox . I'm told it should be as quick as a 110 chinky engine at 85 cc . will be running a 20mil carb . Any thoughts or words of advice ?

stroke it from the outset 88's are sh!t way to slow , 4 speed box is a must , HD clutch and springs , ppl who say they are happy with there 88's are full of sh!t , im talking street riding here btw not track slappers

88 is no gutz no glory , Should have saved your coin and gone the tjr or many other European routs , but hey its yor money and bike , i know if i was that close to those tuners there is no way i would not use there skillz

best of luck tho and

3015_this_20thread_20is_20useless_20without_20pichers.jpg

To be honest,when i want a bike to hunt on then I'll buy another 1200 bandit , for the moment I'm happy with a bike to grin on, just want to catch flies at 50mph and not run out of steam up hills ! I also struggle with a honda becoming erm.... not a honda. or if you like a jap becoming chinese . yeah they look the same but there it ends . All the advice given has been and will still be gratefully recieved and taken on board but so have the videos of oil burners and lost gears . so stroke bore and a 20mil carb is on the agenda . watch this space !

To be honest,when i want a bike to hunt on then I'll buy another 1200 bandit , for the moment I'm happy with a bike to grin on, just want to catch flies at 50mph and not run out of steam up hills ! !

thats the problem tho , an 88 at 50 mph is flat nicker and any hill will kill that speed real quick , what im trying to say is there tooooo slow with take of like a snail , but hey it aint me in front of a car at traffic lights its you

like i said ppl who say there happy with the 88 on the road are full of it , unless there like 60kgs wet , every person i know with an 88 changed em out pretty quick , be it taki or tb or china or what eva

have fun

thats the problem tho , an 88 at 50 mph is flat nicker and any hill will kill that speed real quick , what im trying to say is there tooooo slow with take of like a snail , but hey it aint me in front of a car at traffic lights its you

like i said ppl who say there happy with the 88 on the road are full of it , unless there like 60kgs wet , every person i know with an 88 changed em out pretty quick , be it taki or tb or china or what eva

have fun

unless you have a manual 4 speed 88 with a ported head nice aftermarket exahust and a well tuned carby setup dont bother riding it on the road as there too slow and a danger

snitchy is correct and knows his stuff

Latest posts

Back