BIKE FOR YOUR BUDGET (No more which bike should i buy threads)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dpro 160 are the bomb they can easily handle big jumps amd good handling but I still want 160R for the extra length of the 70 frame an the better suspension

The dpro 160 are the bomb they can easily handle big jumps amd good handling but I still want 160R for the extra length of the 70 frame an the better suspension

I bought a 160R (first bike in about 5 or 6 years). Had the day off yesterday so I put it together. Couple of little issues though (that are probably more china bike related than DHZ related):

• Kick start snapped off on the second successful start.
  • Uni-Filter I bought from DHZ doesn't fit - falls off when you engage the bar mounted choke
  • Upper rear shock mount was bent so much that the shock couldn't be fitted without the use of a rubber mallet
  • Levers are absolute rubbish

Other than that (which can all be replaced) it seems like a great little bike - will have to wait and see as I can't ride it until the new kick start turns up ($49 from DHZ).

I think for a $1750 bike it should come with the one piece starter, and not that ****ty pos that it was supplied with.

any pics of the broken kick starter?

Not right now, as I'm at work.
It's a two piece el'cheapo one. The lug that stops the top piece (the bit you swivel out) from turning around back on itself snapped off - so that when you put your foot on the kick starter it swivels all the way to the back making it impossible to kick.

anything with linkage at $1000-$1300 these days you cannot beat by far!! LXR motovert psto 2nd hand on ebay or gumtree will pick a bargin...

also x4r are a great buy for under $600- $1000 also see a fue here and there, what more can you want really for peanuts?

Hey all. I have been reading through a few threads trying to pick which brand of bike to get. This thread is a few years old now and doesnt seem to cover all the bikes that are out there. I guess Im looking at one getting one from DHZ. What about the new Thumpstars.. anyone got one of theses ? Any other decent brands that havent been covered here. Im looking at between 1000 - 1500. Thanks for any help.

I guess I should add that I probably wont be going around jumping them to start off. I have zilch experience riding motor bikes of any description but I am still looking for something that isnt going to snap in half while Im doing 80 ks down a dirt road. Also looking at a small quad or pee wee for my 7 daughter so any suggestions on a good bike for her are appreciated.

between 1000 - 1500 pitster pro lxr or psto 150cc up
wouldnt go for anything else when you have the budget for these bikes for your kid the cheaper ones will do eg atomik motox 70cc

Hey thanks for the reply zwebx. Ive had a quick search on my phone for the lxr and found them for around 2500 new... did u mean 2nd hand ? At this stage the dhz dpro 160 is looking pretty good for 1350.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I guess what you have to look at mate is how keen are you on getting into the sport? Saying you don't want to jump or race ATM doesn't mean you won't get the bug for it? Sooner or later you too will be laying down the wheelie bin with the ply wood ramp in the middle of the street too! :)

My point is buying a new $1299 bike is great to learn on but but not much else, you'll soon have new front n rear shocks on order and tyres too, then some bling parts. Pretty soon your bike will owe you $3000!
To give you my honest opinion you can't go past the dhz outlaw for bang for your buck! Great to start with and will take anything an advanced rider will throw at it too!

Oh and check out those little GMX zippers too for your daughter! There's a link to there site on the home page. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate. Your right mate I may get bitten by the bug but ATM Im just after something to tinker with and muck around on. Im a bit long in the tooth to go racing and with work 6 days a week and 2 young kids wouldnt leave much time for much else. I will check out the bikes people have listed. Great forum by the way a lot of good advice and friendly people with good knowledge.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate. Your right mate I may get bitten by the bug but ATM Im just after something to tinker with and muck around on. Im a bit long in the tooth to go racing and with work 6 days a week and 2 young kids wouldnt leave much time for much else. I will check out the bikes people have listed. Great forum by the way a lot of good advice and friendly people with good knowledge.

By all means then dude buy second hand! If you're handy with the spanners then a second hand jobby will be perfect for you! I seen a 2011 dhz outlaw on a scumtree for $800 the other day! By the sounds of your work load you'll be tinkering more than riding so I'd be buying second hand and saving $$ for your young Daughters riding gear which you'll need to update every 6 months cause she's growing! ;)

So does anyone have one of the new Thumpstars ? Are they any good ? Also the GMX bikes... they're kind of appealing because they have a layby option. Just trying to cover all possibilities.

Actually not that handy with the spanners Cordog but i like to have a crack at things. Do have a few old school bike mates who would be able to help if I find Ive pulled something apart and cant get it back together lol.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to dirt bikes. I'm ready buy my first bike. I've been looking at the Braaap 125 and it looks like a pretty good bike (albeit expensive). I've done a test ride and I managed the gears ok despite never having ridden a bike before. I'm looking for a bike I can have fun with down at the local track (Frankston) and I might even take it county/bush bashing once in a while. A few considerations, I'm female, I'm shortish ~165cm/5"5' I tend to be a bit short in the legs. Anything taller than the Braap 125 I would struggle to touch the ground. For example, the Braaap 150cc is too big. I want a brand who has good after sales support for if anything goes wrong or if I'm having trouble learning how to do the maintenance, they'll have the patience to show me. Availability of parts is obviously important. I'm open to either semi auto or manual (4 up). I'm definitely wanting 4 stroke.

$2500 is the absolute upper limit of my budget

Beck

Braaps are good bikes, but probably over priced, if you buy something off DHZ you will get good customer service. They also sell some nice bikes like the dhz dpro125, what did you think of the power of the 125?
The better bikes in both quality and handling are the pitster pro bikes however they only come with larger engines. Their on the dhz website and just about everybody on here will recommend them to you (except the china haters).

DHZ DPRO 125
2012 PitsterPRO LXR 160cc Nitro Circus Edition
Have a look at them and see what you think.
Parts are readily available for all of these bikes on dhz.

Yes, I have been reading about the DHZ DPRO 125 and at the price difference I have to say I'm tempted but I'm a complete noob to this whole dirt bike thing so I don't know how good anything is.

It's also hard to trust what I read in regards to opinions coz I see a lot of people on here and other forums say that Braaaps are "Chinese Junk" and they're not even chinese, the engine is Japanese, the frame is from france and they're built here in Aus.

I've been trying to read up on what sort of warranty DHZ offer but can't find much info. I know Braaap offer lifetime warranty but only if you agree to $400 of servicing through their shops a year.

It's hard to compare apples with apples when you know absolutely nothing about the bike or the components in them.

I quite liked the Braaap 125, I didn't have to twist the throttle far or hard to make it go, it was comfortable to ride, but I have nothing to compare to as I've never ridden any bike before. I was also shocked that I could manage the clutch, I was sure I'd have to give up and go the 88, but it wasn't that hard.

Beck

Latest posts

Back