bike wont start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conzaay

Reaction score
hey guys,
my bike has been having problems lately it used to start 1st kick but after i washed it i realised i got the air filter wet by accident. (there was a hole in the bag i put over it) so i took it off and let it dry out for a day and put it back on.
the bike then wouldnt start and it was leaking alot of fuel out of the overflow.
after searching on here i took the carby off and cleaned it and now it doesnt leak but the bike still wont start.

i started it once in like an hour of fiddling and kicking and that was when fuel switch was turned off, it ended up conking out because i didnt keep the revs up
i think im getting compression (theres resistance when kicking the bike),
i dont have a a wrench/ socket or any tool that will make it past the end spark plug and onto the the nut, so i cant check the spark plug, but it must be firing since i started the bike once.

When i kick the bike it turns over and almost starts but then i hear a bubbling like sound and a then white petrol fumes/smoke comes out the air filter with a "pssst"

and i was told to put a mark on the idle screw and play around with that to see if it will start, but i forgot how many times i had screwed it forwards and backwards so i dont no how many times to screw iti before it gets back to the same spot :/

any other ideas on how to get this thing going?, and i cant roll start it at the moment as the bolts that screw the sprocket into the wheel came loose and snapped off so atm the sprocket and chain arent attached to the back wheel.

and one last thing, ive been reading that i should re adjust my valves, where do i get a feeler gage from?

i no its alot to read but its easy for you guys to help me if you no every detail.

not too sure on the problem (personally be cleanin out the carby again...make sure you soak it for a while)but as far as feeler guages go you can pick em up from any Auto store for around $20, Autopro, ect all stock em.

Hit the bowel on the carby (bottom part) with the handle end of a screwdriving or hammer. The float may be sticking. I would also pull apart all connections and spray with crc in case it isnt making contact

not too sure on the problem (personally be cleanin out the carby again...make sure you soak it for a while)but as far as feeler guages go you can pick em up from any Auto store for around $20, Autopro, ect all stock em.

ive only got carby cleaner in a can, what do i use to soak it?

Hit the bowel on the carby (bottom part) with the handle end of a screwdriving or hammer. The float may be sticking. I would also pull apart all connections and spray with crc in case it isnt making contact

yea i fixed the float after i took it apart.
crc? isnt that the silcone spray stuff. if i sprayed that on the connections wouldnt it stop them connecting? i thought it leaves a thing layer that waterproofs?

Yeah CRC is what you use not silicone spray, it eliminates the water. usually if you wash an old car with a distributor you take off the top and spray in.

hold the throttle flat and kick it until you get kick back or some sign of igniting going on..
after that hold a steady 1/4 throttle and give it a good kick..

sounds like it is either flooded or has a gut full of water..

i soak in carby cleaner and petrol, make sure you don't soak the rubber grommet though, as i learn't the hard way the petrol expands the rubber, just clean it off once removed and set aside. Make sure you remove both jets and hook the carby cleaner extender pipe onto the can and the other end into the end of the jet and spray after which if would soak them both. Hope that helps :)

it might be woth checking your CDI unit best way too do it is take plug out and put it in your plug lead ground it on bike frame and kickr over to see if you have spark it should throw a bright blue spark if its ok or my way is just put my finger on it but be be prepared for a good jolt not giving you a decent jolt is a shure way to know its buggerd as some will throw a yelowish spark but its not enough to fire it up or you may have drowned your coil but mine has been under water with out failing CDIs can just give out sometimes with out much warning

i got a new wratchet and took off my spark plug.. the tip is BLACK, so im pretty sure my bike is running rich?.
also got the feeler guages, going to have a crack at doing them.
the packet says they're 0.009" (0.229mm) to 0.026"(0.660mm)

i think i need 0.004 for inlet and 0.006? so basicly the feeler guage's i just bought are to big?

i soak in carby cleaner and petrol, make sure you don't soak the rubber grommet though, as i learn't the hard way the petrol expands the rubber, just clean it off once removed and set aside. Make sure you remove both jets and hook the carby cleaner extender pipe onto the can and the other end into the end of the jet and spray after which if would soak them both. Hope that helps :)

yes i learnt the hard way aswell, i didnt understand why the rubber ring wouldnt fit in the gap. left it over night and it had shrunk back to normal size.
and i gave it a good clean, took every single peice off and and sprayed everything with carby cleaner (except the rubber orings) and put the carby back on. the carby is fine now it hasnt had excess amount of petrol coming out of the over flow pipe

it might be woth checking your CDI unit best way too do it is take plug out and put it in your plug lead ground it on bike frame and kickr over to see if you have spark it should throw a bright blue spark if its ok or my way is just put my finger on it but be be prepared for a good jolt not giving you a decent jolt is a shure way to know its buggerd as some will throw a yelowish spark but its not enough to fire it up or you may have drowned your coil but mine has been under water with out failing CDIs can just give out sometimes with out much warning

ill give this a try, after i pull the plug out of the cdi what plug lead does the cdi plug go into?

Last edited:
alright i turned the fuel moxture screw thing (flat head screw under the carby) 1 full turn to the right. i also took the spark plug out and put a little bit of fuel on the tip, i then started my bike first kick YAY! :D it seems that the bike gets really hot now. i can feel it throug hthe plastics. I then turned off my bike after about 5 minutes and tried but couldnt start it again.
i then put some more fuel on the end of the spark plug and started the bike 3rd kick. Im taking an educated guess that my sparkplug is dying :) so im going out to buy a new 1 now.

You have leaned out your carby, by doing this your engine will get a lot more hotter. If the spark plug fixes it, try to richen it up a little again.

Latest posts

Back