Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blender

Reaction score
Hey boys and girls, i thought i would start a "build thread" (isnt that what all the cool kids are doing now??) on my bike. i've had it for a while now, but recently i've got some decent parts for it to throw on (genuine thumpstar frame :D!!) so i'd thought you guys would like to know :).
I've pulled the engine and electrics out and had a look at my old (un-braced) atomik sheet metal crf-50 styled frame and saw a crack 2-3mm thick where the swingarm pivot bolt slots through the frame :eek: so i was glad to find a genuine thumpstar frame under my house to use :D. the frame was in fine nic, i think it had been apart of a parts bike i may have got a while ago?? It was already braced and powdercoated black. i did a few measurements and it looked like it would just fine. but them i had a look where the swing arm pivot bolt slots through and realised it takes a 12mm bolt, rather then my atomik's 10mm. so i did some researchin on the net (ebay) and found some bushing that would fit.the engine (ducar 125) has got a full clean and is currently being prepped for a respray. this is going to be a bit of a low budget build, on my tall salary of 40 a week i cant really do much about that! i currently have no camera, but i'll borrow one just for you guys ;). will keep yas updated.

lol im sure you will do a really "cool" job on it blender a big bonus finding a braced frame under ya house to ;)
keen 2 see ya pics get that camera

Cheers man, it should turn out pretty "cool" i hope, i gotta go into town and get a whole bunch of cable ties and bearings, my headset bearings where in pieces lol. im still detailin the frame, makin it look all shiny. the 1 thing the bike really needs at this stage is a new set of forks. i need a set of usd's (upside down) that are like 730-760mm long, WITH triple clamps, so if anyone's got any lying around, PM me please :)

Just had a look around for some other thumpstar frames, and the one i have appears to be one of there "earlier"?? models, with out a removable subframe, and its based on the honda crf 5o ' s frame design?? apperently its not meant to be one of the strongest frames out there, but since mines braced it should be fine.

hmm, yeah, ur in tassie, and im in nsw...Could you find out? depending on how much you want for em, and how much postage is?? also how long r they, and what axle do the take? if it takes a 15mm, do you have a 14" front wheel that takes a 15mm axle?cheers.

yeah they are 15mm axle will see what i have in my box of parts tomorrow and send you a pic. will also try find out postage... id take 50 bucks plus postage for rim triples and forks just cause your a top bloke :)

and i may have a set with a 12mm axle that you could have for just the shipping price but they need a good clean up have a little surface rust on the chroming will put pics of all of em up tomorrow

thanks man, you a top bloke :) so yeah, id postage isnt to much of a pain, i'll grab em for sure!

I did a bit of work on the engine today, drained the oil and took the bashplate off and cleaned under there, i'll give it a wipe down with some prepsol to remove all grease, oil and dirt, then i'll give a shot with some high gloss black engin enamal. i forgot to get some headset bearing today, i was hoping to set the thumpy frame up as a roller, and maybe set the engine and electrics up? im not sure how many coats of black i should do on the engine, maybe someone could shed some light on that for me? i was thinking around 3, 1 dist coat, a full coat, then another full coat and finish with clear?? im trying to get everything PERFECT as can be, i want it to turn out as good as possible :)

depending on how it looks i sometimes lay three full coats after the primer coat but u should be fine with two, make sure u use a good high temp clear as well ;)

yeah, i just gave it its first coat then, looks like i'll have to get more paint though, the can was pretty low to begin with. i got some some 500+ clear to throw on so im right in that department. i'll get my swingarm drilled out soon :)

Latest posts

Back