Bolt the magneto sits on has snapped

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon14

Reaction score
I brought a second hand 125cc Bigfoot and the guy said it wasn't running because of something electrical so I tried to kick it over and it made this terrible noise so I took off the magneto cover, seemed fine then I tried to kick it over once more and the magneto fell straight off.

image.jpg

Far out someone has tightened the heck out of that. Your best bet would be to drill a 7.5mm odd hole into it and tap a 8mm thread into it. Then use a long allen key bolt with a decent washer to hold it all on. Other then that its time for a new crank.

Welcome to Miniriders Brandon,
Make sure you drop in and say hello in our Introduce Yourself thread too while you're here.

As Snaptrax mentioned above you have 3 options with the broken crankshaft.
First one is to grind what's left of the thread/stub off the end on the crank, then drill and tap the end to accept a bolt.
I would use a M10 x 1.25 pitch x 25mm long 12.9 grade Unbreako bolt, and a thick machine washer, M8 is a bit small.
Buy a M10x1.25 Intermediate tap, a tap handle and an 8.9mm HSS or Cobalt drill bit, a 3mm and a 6 mm drill bit.

bolt.jpg

$_35.JPG

89mm-DIAMETER-ADDAX-HSS-DRILL-BIT-For.jpg

The hardest thing will be making sure you drill straight into the end of the crank.
I would suggest removing the engine and set it up in a drill press to make sure you are drilling square into the crank.
Start off with the 3mm drill bit to make a pilot hole about 20mm deep, then use the 6mm bit to open it up, and finish with the 8.9mm bit.

Next way to fix the broken crank would be to replace it with another one, new or good used.
I might be able to help you here, i have a good low hour spare one.

Last way would be to replace the complete engine, a new Lifan 125 engine could be sourced from ebay
NEW 125cc Lifan Type R Head Racing Engine Dirt Bike Motor 4 Speed Manual Bonus | eBay
Or from any pit bike shop, or a used one off gumtree or a facebook buy swap sell page
A second hand engine could possibly have other problems too ?

You could also get a bigger engine and use that too, a 140, 150, 160 should be an easy swap over but are dearer too, the rear clutch engines will need a new longer clutch cable with a threaded end for adjustment.

Cheers, Craig

Latest posts

Back