Bypassing the key barrel

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky_191

Reaction score
Hi all. I got a parts bike with a full loom but the key barrel has been cut off and all the wires are taped together. The bike starts when you kick it but I want to get the electric start working if it's possible.

So will it affect the way the electric start works if there is no key barrel ? I might get a new one since they are less the $10.

Also I want to wire up a second kill switch to hide somewhere so could I use the wires that went to the old key barrel to do it.. if so what are the colours to the kill switch ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

kill switch wires are usually black w/white stripe, and a green

the electric start bikes sometimes have a switch under the front brake lever too,
this means it wont start unless the brake is held on.

Last edited:
you can just unplug the old wiring left over from the ignition key it should still start using the electric start.

i took the key switch off my old Atomik, and just wired the start switch to a new starter solenoid.
the original china made starter solenoids don't last too long due to being cheaply made.

i used one of these, they were made for early Falcon/Mustang V8's
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Sta...&fits=Model:Falcon&hash=item43bf479780&_uhb=1

Wow thanks for your help man. I found a spare regulator so I will put that in and then re wire the starter motor and it should go :) Mine does have the switch in the front brake so I will make sure I pull it on when I go to start it.. That could have caused problems :)

I don't really know why they have electric start :/ it's soo easy to kick over. even my yz450f was easy to start. I think it's just a toy :) Thanks again. I will let you know how I go

all good mate,
if you have any problems, just post 'em on this thread, i should be able to help you out

I think my tri clamps are different sizes :/ I used one off the second set because it's polished and the top of the others because it's polished but now the forks won't go in :/ might have to swap them around

Latest posts

Back