can i wire up a tacho?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLR125

Reaction score
hi just wondering is it possible to wire up a tacho gauge to a 125 kick start bike
all my bike has is the coil and cdi no battery

please let me know if anyone has done it or if you know how to

thanks allot
chris:)

Yep... That's right you need a battery. I was thinking of doing the same thing using a small 12 volt rechargable battery pack. Other than a battery you don't need anything else though...

hey man, i run a 2" tacho on my motovert rx.
yes you do need a battery, you can get away with using a small 9v battery if you wish.

the wiring behind them are simple.

green:tacho pickup ignition coil +
red: power 12v +
white: illumination 12v+
black:negative 12 -

tacho-2.jpg

tachorx2.jpg

motoverttachorun.flv video by heely69 - Photobucket

It should be able to run off the motors 12v system. It just wont work unless the motor is running.

da bomb,all you need now is a boost guage:p i want one now

youd need at least a rectifer and a regulator, i think...

what size rims are on the motovert?

so if i put a small 12v on witch i no i have one laying around. connect the psitive negative then the green to the coil then wats the illumination ?

yeah connect the red a white together and put them on the positive terminal.

for allyou guys with RX's we wire the red and the white into the parking globe + so when the bike is sitting in the shed it wont flatten your battery!

it wont run directly off your bikes 12v system if you dont have a battery.

got 12" rims.

i ran a 4" tacho on my other mini on dirt, worked equally aswell.

was thinking of a boost gauge to see the manifold pressure but meh.

ok i went and got a 4" tacho from super cheap
i connected it all up start the bike thinking it wouldnt work but aye gues wat

WORKS 100%

thanks guys

ok i went and got a 4" tacho from super cheap
i connected it all up start the bike thinking it wouldnt work but aye gues wat

WORKS 100%

thanks guys

how much did that cost ya? and was it hard to fit?
tacho sounds like a sweet mod

hey guys, if u check my avtar, i have a 5inch monster tacho with shift light installed. im running a gpx xy160 in a 90 frame. it gets its power from the battery

i have decided to get a jaycar tacho kit, and mod it to read over ten grand by raising its clock speed by ten... they read 9,999 at the mo... damn id love to see anything (cept a turbine:rolleyes:) hit 99,990 rpm:p

Digital Tachometer Display Kit - Jaycar Electronics

theres your tacho lol but 70 is a bit much i think but anyhow lol ive had my lancer hit 10000rpm lol quite a funny incident some dude in a wrx was revving his car with the blow off valve going and i just made mine scream lol

yeah this can be a nice mod im willing to give it a go and ive done it before on my car but im not sure where you can get a tacho for a 1 cylinder i know you can get them for 4 though to 12 and sometimes 2 cylinders but not 1's so any info on your tacho and where you got them from would be great

your lancer hit 10,000rpm? what motor do you have in that?
it would of hit the limiter well before then.

haha carby sohc 1.5 lol i have hit 8000 on the road in second and it hit the limiter there but i did say 10000 lol

Latest posts

Back