Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

force

Reaction score
Hey guys the chain keep falling off my sons 110cc atomik. The sprockets are near new with no wear on them. I have tightened the chain with the tentioners and pulled the back wheel back. All to no avail. Is it time for a new chain?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

how tight is the chain?
2 index finger play? if so wiggle the chain side to side if its a heap ie: 100/50mm play.. you'll be up for a new chain...

how old is the chain ?
if it is the original one they are cheap quality chains

a brand new DID chain is about $25 from most motorcycle shops/ebay etc
if he is doing a bit of riding on it, you might want to replace it twice a year ?
depending on your chain maintenance

Ok sure thanx heaps. How can I tell if its 420 or 428 I measure something dont I?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Sometimes they are written on the chain and or sprockets (if checking sprockets make sure both match) or you can measure.
360576819_756.jpg

Grab the chain at the middle of the rear sprocket and pull it back, if you can expose the sprocket teeth enough to see light through them, the chain is worn too much and needs to be replaced

Then if you want to prolong your chain life and set the slack 'correctly', put the bike on some form of stand, get the rear wheel off the ground. Remove the lower shock bolt and then zip tie the shock up and out of the way. Move the swingarm through its stroke, chances are you have your chain too tight and you'll feel it noticeably tighten up when the swingarm is horizontal. You need to set the chain to be as tight as it can be, but not develop a tight spot in the swingarm stroke. Otherwise it'll put huge stress on the chain, sprockets, seals and gearbox. You'll ruin a chain and sprockets in no time if that's the case

Once you've found the tightest spot it can be, then you can do your measurements for how much slack there is when its just sitting under its own weight. Record that and set it to that from now on

P.S. if you are replacing a chain its good practice to replace the sprockets as well. Doesn't matter how tough the chain is, if the sprockets are bent or worn then the chain will inevitably have to reshape itself to match the sprockets (and vice versa). Ergo it wears out a lot quicker

what is your chain alignment like ?

put the bike on a stand and see if the rear wheel is on and angle toward the left or right, and if needed adjust the chain tensioners accordingly

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back