China forks

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jz150

Reaction score
Hi fellas. Was wondering if anyone has pulled apart a set of china disc forks. I've got a set off Tonelli( same as jrmotorparts I think ) . Mine are way to soft as they hit the tyre with the head nuts under braking. Any help would be useful

What size tyre are you running and what motor? The Tonelli doesn't have a similar problem because the frame is 30mm longer than standard. I have the same forks on my j1 and it doesn't have a problem, running standard size tyres and motor.

Last edited:
Hi hec. Running 10 inch wheels with a 150 engine. Shocks a very spongey

Tyre size is 110/80-10. I remember I few guys saying on mg that they stiffened up their front forks somehow. Can't remember how though.

Tyre size is 110/80-10. I remember I few guys saying on mg that they stiffened up their front forks somehow. Can't remember how though.

changing the fork oil helps
but with all the work there still going to be soft and spongy

changing the fork oil helps
but with all the work there still going to be soft and spongy

True, but they crap all over stockers. Plus you get a half decent front brake. You can put your heavier springs and +1inch legs in em but they are still not gonna beat the chingas value and performance.

Chuck some washers in as spacers to pre load the springs. If you have a lathe, make up some nice spacers (plus a few extras for sale to your mates) Free mod, will solve your problem.

once my bikes finished and running im willing to put that to the test my worked stock front end to a dead stock set of chinga forks

but i do know what you mean for the price there good

once my bikes finished and running im willing to put that to the test my worked stock front end to a dead stock set of chinga forks

but i do know what you mean for the price there good

Since we've hijacked the thread, you might as well describe what you're planning to do with your forks. I wanna get the best out of the stockers in our 82 z50r and will be doing the spring and leg thing. Any other ideas gav?

What about spacing the legs down. Putting a spacer between the top tree and the leg. Would that work????

Fast 50 fork legs, chrome olly ones, shorten to stock height
Fast 50 fork springs heavy duty,
Fast 50 fork bushes, for the fast50 fork legs
New fork pistons and pins to hold it all togeather,
Not sure what lube to use yet
Will be running 40th front hub with kitaco brake pads
Takegawa brake arm,

I may also look into installing a small spacer to stiffen it up even more,

I build up a ttr50 once and running drum brakes this thing could stop very fast and it wasn't soft or spongy,

My z50 fork setup should be even better just got to remember not to grab a big hand full of the front brake

What about spacing the legs down. Putting a spacer between the top tree and the leg. Would that work????

It will help a little, but I wouldn't expect too much out of a set of forks that are worth that much

If you want quality you need to spend at least 1000

Mate, if you are used to stock z forks, chinese crap will seem like luxury. Space em. problem solved. No more banging on the studs.
If you plan on riding a 150 on the road - do not use standard drums - unless you brake very early, or very hard, or a very good, experienced rider, who likes lots of adventures - like going to hospital sucking on a greenstick with a huyundai fender sticking out of an orifice.

Mate, if you are used to stock z forks, chinese crap will seem like luxury. Space em. problem solved. No more banging on the studs.
If you plan on riding a 150 on the road - do not use standard drums - unless you brake very early, or very hard, or a very good, experienced rider, who likes lots of adventures - like going to hospital sucking on a greenstick with a huyundai fender sticking out of an orifice.

Z50m has stock style forks and drub brakes with a takegawa 124cc motor

Richie had a 148 and a 124cc bikes both stock front ends with drum brakes and its fine
As I said ill have mine set up to out perform a cheap set of chinga disc forks, but ill also be paying the $$$$ for it so far its costing me 400-600 maybe more

It comes down to what look do you want if you want the stock look then you do what I'm doing if you want the custom look get a cheap set of chinga forks
Also depends on your budget

Really, Honda were well ahead of their time with the z50 fork design, it took the rest of the world 20 years to catch up.
I think my 84 KTM 495 was the 1st production dirt bike with USD's and I'd already been using em on the z's for years before that! No doubt they can be made to go well, and for not much of an outlay either.

On my china forks there was no orings present on the valving so a quick turn on the lathe had it sorted , I run 30mm spacer and I found the best oil is diff oil yes diff oil

After these mods I feel they are very nice

On my china forks there was no orings present on the valving so a quick turn on the lathe had it sorted , I run 30mm spacer and I found the best oil is diff oil yes diff oil

After these mods I feel they are very nice

Hey loace
Where did you run your spacer

Under the top cap of the fork leg , so it sits on toP of the spring , don't forget to measure how much oil comes out of each leg,

Forks vs. Forks

As I Have bikes with most of the the gear you guys are talking about I can safely say that you get what you pay for.
The Chinese front end I was running gave very poor road feel and the 220mm disc brake was either off or on - with no feel in the middle, but they are cheap, and so very appealing. And as Gav said it really comes back to the look you are after - the stock forks with all the Fast 50's gear are way better than stock and if you fit an external Damper, are just as adjustable as the flasher Japanese front ends.:blah:

Ok. I got some 25mm spacers made this morning and so far it looks ok. I put the spacefaring at the top of the fork to compress the spring. Just need to test ride it to see how they handle. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back