cleaning air filter

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbk

Reaction score
ok i got my new pitty a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be good to clean airfilter coz i dont tihnk they put any oil or anyfin on it so i wanted to kno best liquid to clean it in as i have heard several things about cleaning like i have bheard dont clean in petrol as it destroys the airfilter tho i have also heard to clean it in petrol also i have heard to clean it in kerosine so some help on best way to clean and best liquid to clean in

cheers

on the pitbikes and the kids race bikes i use kerosine to clean up the filters ,
i buy a big 5 litre container from safeway then cut the top off ,
then i place chicken wire at the bottom so the dirt and grit stays down there ,
after a good rinse , i then wash them out in hot soapy water with truck wash and repeat process until i find no grit in the bottom of the bucket ,
Then rinse with hot clean water again ,
Then hang em on the clothes line to dry ,
PS dont use petrol as it will react with the glue that joins the foam filter to the rubber body
hope this helps

Last edited:
You should then reoil your airfilter foam ..so that fine particals of dirt and dust dont filter through the filter foam...instead it gets stuck on the outside of the oiled filter and protects your engine...you should use airfilter oil....(its very sticky) you could also use chainsaw bar oil...its also a sticky oil and very cheep to buy....i use motorex airfilter oil it comes in an airosole can, the best thing its easy ,fast to apply and no mess.....once you applied the oil one should work the oil into the foam so its all throughout the filter....using disposable rubber goves work well two....

Air Filter Maintance for Trail bikes
The latest Four Strokes are very sensitive to dirty Air Filters. If they Induce a lot of fine particles it premotes valve wear resulting in having to do Valve clearances on a regular basis. This will ultimatley lead to valve failure.
Make sure your filter is clean before every ride, use a good quality air filter oil ( not engine oil) and make sure you have it seated in the filter boot correctly. I have seen the filter not fitted properly and the engine got dusted and lasted 15 minutes.
When Washing your filter ,wash it out in mineral turps and then hang out to dry. Dont wash it in water after as the water will rot the foam and break down letting in more dirt.
"Dont wash your filter in Petrol" unless in a emergency. Petrol expands the foam and lets more dust in.
After your filter is dry add you filter oil and then mount it on the cage. Add a water proof grease around the sealing surface and then mount the filter in the bike.
Air Filter maintance is very important in Australia as our continent is the oldest in the world and our dust particles are the finest. Filter skins are extra protection also

i found this on a web site but cant rember what is called lol

use a blended vegeatble oil (yes light cooking oil for $3 a liter from the supermarket) to oil the filter and clean it in the sink with dishwashing liquid. Cost is next to zero, smell zero, easy and cheap and works every bit a good. Heaps better for the enviroment as well.

Liam,
Petrol is ok. it will clean it.
of wash it in water, then air blast all the gunk out with an air compressor, then use spray on air filter cleaner, then air gun it then use air filter oil which is also spray on. thats the best way. but u can make shortcuts!
cya man

my way

i just have seen people saying that petrol is bad for airfilers??
i use it and it works great coz it gets all the sticky crap out cleans very well.
but this is how i do it.(my style)

i get a lil bucket.
stacks of dishwashin liquid and i flush it thoughly. till it looks nice and clean then it will still be a bit sticky and dirty i found so i use a tiny bit of petrol to help clean it and it becomes like brand new;)
and a spray it up with foam air filter sticky spray wateva its called.
thats just my way of doin it..

Petrol expands the foam which u dont want to do. Turps and then water is the best option and then of coarse use filter oil

yes, new filters come with no oil on them

so there not as water resistant or dust and dirt resistant

yeah and to clean it, theres a few ways, but best option i have been told, is to wash it in a tub of clean turps, desolving the oil. (dont do it in petrol, because over time it desolves the glue holding your filter together)
Ring it out. And then clean it in warm soapy water. Let dry
Then soak your filter in airfilter oil, ring all the excess oil out into a clean container, and away you go. ;)

Last edited:
hahah your the guy thats thumpstar snapped hahahha on youtube

Thats not very constructive.
Hopefully it happens to you one day soon,just make sure you catch it on video so we can all laugh at your misfortune too!

I wash my airfilter in petrol...
then i put some truck wash on it rub it in
then wash it out with water
let it dry then put on the oil.
also dont run them with no oil outherwise dust gets into the head and you start doing piston rings!

dont use petrol,i did when i was new too bikes and it desolved the glue in one wash,use warm soapy water or some turps does the trick and do that after every decent ride dont worry if you only ride for 10 mins...

Thats not very constructive.
Hopefully it happens to you one day soon,just make sure you catch it on video so we can all laugh at your misfortune too!

Goose#69, your a real "goose". hopefully your bike snaps, though its not my fault he bought a shit bike that it was to weak to handle that kind of riding.. and thanks mine wont snap to the maintance i give it mate. hopefully yours dose though.(Y)

^^^Learn to spell dipsh*t
I think it's hilarious that you found a play on words with the goose name, you know I don't think I've ever heard that....not.
And "maintance" isn't gonna stop your frame breaking,but it might just mean you find a crack in it before it does snap.
Lighten up mate don't be a hater..

Last edited:
dont worry goose we all know what mxb is like talks crap and thinks he knows "EVERYTHING"...

Latest posts

Back