Clutch Basket Loose?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamicgs

Reaction score
Hey..
My engine is was making bit of a weird clunking noise, and felt it through the clutch lever a bit... so I took off the clutch cover to see if the nut was loose...
It is really tight, and everything looks OK, but noticed the clutch basket and the big gear on the back seem to have alot of play..
Is this normal? What do I need to do?
I cant get the clutch basket nut off as I dont have the special tool..
Is there another way to get this nut off?

Can see a video here...
[youtube]b8GwtYZRcPE[/youtube]

Last edited:
have you taken the outer cover off yet those 4 bolts hold it on your clutch nut probably fell off
it happened to my brothers old bike [lifan 125] never could get the thing to stay on after that had to replace the clutch it was stuffed.

good luck i hope nothing is broken i know how much of a pain it is

Some play is normal but that seems pretty loose justin, as for the special tool i use an already trashed flat screwdriver and start giving it solid hits with a hammer, obviously marks the nut a little but nothing that can hurt it, so find an old screwdriver and go for it mate.

OK.. cheers...

I was thinking of grinding out an old socket to make it fit..

Are the threads on these normal direction or reverse threaded?

Normal thread mate, lefty loosy righty tighty:thumbup:

either your clutch basket is toast or the castlating nut is loose

that basket is way loose whitey

I know the hammer and screwdriver sounds a bit dodgy, but its quite functional and works a treat as there isnt the leverage of a ratchet to try and stop turning, i have done it this way hundreds of times and have never damaged anything apart from some small marks in the nut, but all things aside there is a proper tool for the job, if you have a impact screwdriver you can remove the tip section and it has a 1/2 inch socket attachment that you whack an extension and the clutch nut tool on, this also eliminates the leverage of a ratchet., How did you go justin, any progress mate?

OK, so whacked it with a hammer... didnt budge... its tight as...
Cant really be stuffed buying the tool for $30 +postage from DHZ.. does anyone want to post one to me, and I'll send it back? Ill pay ya for postage!

From what it looks like to me, might be some kind of nut, spacer or bushing between the clutch plates and the basket that is loose.. but never having looked at a cluch before, im really just guessing...

Dont really know what to do.. keep riding till it stops or buy a new clutch??

Buy the tool if you plan on keeping the bike. you will need it again.
There is a nut then a washer. Then the clutch plates come out, then there is a spiked washer that slots into the shaft and a washer that twists into it. Not much can go wrong there.
Im guessing the rubbers are stuffed.

OK, so whacked it with a hammer... didnt budge... its tight as...
Cant really be stuffed buying the tool for $30 +postage from DHZ.. does anyone want to post one to me, and I'll send it back? Ill pay ya for postage!

From what it looks like to me, might be some kind of nut, spacer or bushing between the clutch plates and the basket that is loose.. but never having looked at a cluch before, im really just guessing...

Dont really know what to do.. keep riding till it stops or buy a new clutch??

Whats ya address justin, ill send one down tomorrow to you, and just send it back in the original package that i will send it in, recycling will reward you one day haha.

Have you got a impact screwdriver mate?

They all do it. Crap design. Z155HO 6-plate is worse. They wobble like a detoxing hooker, and the basket gets ground by the primary gear. Tak basket or live with it. You can add a thin shim around the non-splined section of the little gear that the basket rides on to reduce wobble some.

OK, so the nut was so damn tight.. Used a rattle gun to get it off and it pulled the thread off with it.. looks like they have used some kind of super loc-tite on it...

Great... now I might have to replace the whole shaft... Should have just left it alone and rode the bike till it stopped!

Got a new nut, and managed to get it all back together again, and after some trial and error, the clutch is working again.. although it still has the clunking noise..So will have to replace the clutch I guess...

Just wanted to know what is the procedure for putting the clutch back together, specifically, how do I know how much to do up the bolts that hold the front plate & springs on? Seeing as though they are not done up particularly tight, am I supposed to loctite them and leave it at that?

Have looked for vids, or any other info with not much luck, so anyone who knows would be a big help...

Cheers!

The 4 bolts on the center "clover" get tightened to bottoming out, same torque as any 6mm bolt. Google "metric torque".

Latest posts

Back