Clutch burn out

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo686

Reaction score
I have recently bought a new 49cc engine for my sons mini quad, he was riding around the backyard for about 10 mins and the clutch burnt out is there any reasons for this happening so soon? A friend of mine has told me because he never really goes full throttle the clutch wouldn't fully engage and wear quicker but it was 10 mins surely they would last longer than that right?

what sort of 49cc engine
4 or 2 stroke

the 2 stroke engines a junk

2 stroke the only purpose of it is for my 6 yr old son to gain confidence for a bigger one but I don't want to replace the clutch e dry day

welcome to Miniriders Damo,

are you using the throttle limiter screw on it?

and is the quad still under warranty?

i bought one for my son to learn on too, but it wasn't any good to use where we ride.
it went pretty fast once run in/tuned etc, but never needed a clutch for it.
we ended up selling it

cheers, craig

No I took the limiter out no I bought the bike second hand and broke a few pieces so I bought a new engine and the guy at the shop said he won't give me a new clutch because the clutch isn't covered by the warranty. He pretty much only rides it In the backyard or I took him to the cricket field just to open it up a bit. Seemed fine at full throttle

put a bigger sprocket on the rear or a smaller one on the front will help it..
not much you can do for that style clutch

Are the 2 shoe clutches bigger? Will I need a bigger housing

That's one part at work we always have stocked, those clutches are gold to us and a bloody headache to the owners, you can get a 2 shoe HD clutch and back the spring tension down, but yeah unless they are held flat there always slipping or breaking springs.

the clutch's are cheap, and easy enough to replace anyway.
keep a watch on the rear swingarm bushes too, they are just a piece of heater hose jammed in there.
well the one we had was.
the rubber starts to wear away, this makes the chain go slack and jump off the sprockets, twisting the chain.

What does backing the spring tension down do? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question it's all kinda new to me

If you do a search on ebay you will find heavy duty springs for them. This prevents them from slipping so much and help the plates last longer.
They have really bad quality clutches on them and should not be ridden by adults. A 6yo should be fine though

these clutches use centrifugal force to drive the pads out onto the flywheels,
the springs will need to be weaker, so they start to work earlier and it doesn't slip so much

If I was to buy a heavy duty clutch on eBay does that mean just the springs?

Latest posts

Back