Clutch Issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroundRun

Reaction score
Symptoms in chronological order as the day progressed:
Riding went about as usual for about 30 mins or so.........then.........

From a stand still, engaging 1st gear the clutch was a lot harsher.
From 2nd gear on the throttle it popped out into neutral.
From both 1st and 2nd gear, finding neutral was close to impossible, I had to resort to switching off the bike, once the engine was off clicking it into neutral was easy.
After all these problems, on the way home changing into another gear was very VERY hard, I had to stomp on the gear peg with my foot to change a gear.

When I tried to fix the issue with an adjustment on the clutch lever made it worst. I had to use the brakes just to keep the bike stationary because even though the clutch lever was pulled the bike still wanted to roll forward. So I changed it back to the original settings.

I also pulled off the cover (the cover located just behind the rear brake lever)to see if I could adjust the screw (the screw which is locked into place by the 10mmm bolt). After unlocking/lossening the bolt I seemed to only be able to get about 180 degree turn either way, no more. I was going to try to force it clockwise but wanted to check here first if there is something I'm doing wrong.

My bike has probably been used about 8-10 hours in total.

Sorry for the long post but help/advice is much needed. Thanks.

What type of bike mate? More specifically, what type of motor?

Some more details will help.

I'm not too sure of the make of the bike but its got a Lifan engine. The usual Neutral/1 Down/3 Up gearbox.

If need be I'll upload some photos tomorrow.

sounds just like mine...lifan too.ip52. except my clutch was slippin at the same time... next to impossible to engage, barely adjustable, neutral? kill it and there it is. slips when i hit a pothole or a bump or just give it full throttle...

though changing gears is more to do with timing the shift with the throttle...you dont need a clutch up or down... but finding neutral. yes. impossible-when standing still. just locks in first or 2nd and wont budge. (forcing it is NOT a good idea either)

then when you do adjust it so you can find neutral...slips worse than ever...

what diameter would you say the adjuster cover is? mine is a lot smaller than say the lifan engine on my old elstar... 2.5 / 3 inches compared to about 4.5 / 5 inches.... and i NEVER had a problem with that clutch. ever. never had to think about it and the lever action was fine as well:)

that's very unusual

Lols, thanks for the comment.....

Anyways I dont really know what you mean by the adjustment cover? At this stage it looks like I'm going to have to rip everything apart and see if I cant spot something which doesnt quite look right.

The clutch still has plenty of grip left, not slipping at all. When its in gear there is no slippage whatsoever.

I've seen a few engines where the nut that holds the clutch basket on comes loose and winds its way off the shaft until it hits the back of the pressure plate. When you pull the clutch lever in it no longer compresses the clutch but tries to force the whole clutch shaft back into the engine case. Pain in the ass when you're out riding, but its not to hard to fix.

nope, thats not it...

nuts got its lil lock washer in place and is all as it should be... pulled it apart five times already.

new plates has stopped the slip so far. so far....:rolleyes: and i can find neutral too:eek:

now im finding i pull the lever in, and when you let it out, half the time it stays like its pulled in, even with heavier springs...(and the clutch works fine when its on the bench...its when its back on the bike and the covers all back on that its being silly...) can flick the lever back n forth a few times to no effect, then kicking the case it engages... and when it does engage like its meant to, theres no "friction point"...its either on or off, and never quite the same spot either... not good when your sitting at the traffic lights...

so me thinks its to do with the different case i have to what seems to be standard... like the mechanism is sticky...though it seems ok when you pull the whole case off... so it has me stumped.

by "adjuster cover" i mean the plate with the 2 screws that covers the mechanism where you adjust the pushrod... the screw with the 10mm locknut being the pushrod.

im gunna try another case soon, and then even maybe the lever, though i doubt its that...... third cable now, still no better...:confused: maybe a new clutch basket as well...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back