Conversion Time :)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faclon_six

Reaction score
Hey everyone, as you can tell from my post count, im new here.

i have always had the privilage of riding Minibikes, right back to the very first MiniTrail 50 ever made (still going!)
recently i have managed to aquire a 74 model CT70. The motor is tired and i have sent it off to have a complete rebuild (car motors i can do, but i find bikes a little too fiddly!) so my Ideas are...

Strip back the 70, sand blast all the parts, REpaint everthing (showroom condition - Ford XR6 BluePrint colour!) rechrome the mud gaurds and dump a LIFAN 125cc motor into it from an ATOMIK thumpster which i have also come buy. I like the thumpster to ride, but it is not nearly as comfy or as safe as the 70.

Currently the 70 is in bits in the shed and a few parts are enjoying an acid bath.
I will post up pics as i go.
i just need to know, Who has done this? i know a few have, i just need to talk to a few people about the conversion process,

Cheers
Willis

Sounds like a great project. A few guys on here have been through the restoration process and members such as Daniel40 are doing z's up as we speak. Not sure if foolsp33d got around to doing his but he had killer idea's for a project bike.
Also have you tried Monkeygarage forums too , there's a wealth of info on ct's sl's z50's etc on there too but miniriders has its own Classic honda forum too (z50 forum)

:::updates:::

Well, since my first post i went and did a bit, stripped the frame of pretty much everything NAY the front end as i dont want the forks to seize up without the 30 odd year old oil or crap in there, cleaned up the bike and got rid of all the mud and grease deposits down under the seats and fueltank and particularly under the back wheel arch, spent a good couple hours on it and all thats left is the surface rust, which should be fixed by the sandblasting process.

For the little bits and pieces such as old foot rests and Chrome strips / gaurds / levers ETC i found an old car battery, poured the acid into a large bin along with a can of coke and a bit of petrol and made myself an ACID/DEGREASING bath
IMG_0009.jpg

i have taken the back swing arm off and had it heated and bent back to original, just about to go scratch that all back to metal and primer it tomorrow.

As for the frame, as you can see its already a bluey colour, but im not too sure about it, i definatly love the blue on it but i want it to be more like my car shown below..

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

And the colour i want the finished product
DSC_00980098.jpg

So..... Thoughts anyone?

looks like a good project! i dont know much about these bikes but i like the prety pictures lol. keep us updated

Latest posts

Back