Crossfire 250 XZR Review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroubledSOUL

Reaction score
Hi all

Finally got a china - The crossfire 250. There doesnt seem to be much info kicking around about these particular bikes so i thought I would chuck in a little review and thoughts.

I have had the bike for a bit over a month and thanks to a month worth of holidays and mostly good weather, I have logged about 20 hours on it so far, with its first service done at 10. Most of the dramas listed below he had as well. I will do my best to list the problems you should definately check /rectify with these bikes!

ASSEMBLY

Before I bought the bike I was fully Expecting to have to do an out of crate assembly. I spent ages on this site reading up on things you need to do to the chinas if you want them to run for any period of time.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS & 30 MINUTE CHECK

It is a slick looking bike, very tall initialy before the suspension settles a bit. It is a blatant rip off of the Honda CR 250. on visual inspection it looks well designed and built. We decided to run it around the paddock for 30 minutes then check everything over.

2. BOLTS

The main nut that holds the rear brake lever does not have any type of shim to hold it in. You cant tighten it too much or the lever wont have any free play. It was loose after the 30 min ride. We re-loktited it and it seems to be ok but i check it before every ride to be safe

One of the front sprocket bolts and 2 of the chain slider bolts were loose. They were all locktited and have not come loose after some pretty hard riding

3. WIRING & ELECTRICS

The start and kill switch terminals are pretty cheap and nasty. Theres nothing stopping water/mud getting down into the connectors. I put heatshrink over these to minimise moisture getting into them.

4. BATTERY

This seems to be the main problem with the bike. It is a ****house china peice of **** that , take it from me, when you pick up your new crossfire, buy an after market battery at the same time, it will save you A LOT OF HEADACHES. a day or so after i got it it went flat. A n overnight session on a trickle charger seemed to fix this. 2 days later it died again. it does not seem to have to charge for too long and there is always fluid in the bottom of the battery well that im assuming is from the battery. Its not water.

Timmy pulled his out after anout 3 hours and the battery was too hot to touch for about 2 hours after we pulled it out, and the battery well was chokkers with the fluid. We thought it was going to explode on us so he got a new one

Last edited:
5. STICKERS

The stickers seem slightly too large for the plastics and overhang and are already starting to peel off

6. THROTTLE

The bike comes with a 1/4 turn joker throttle. I like these throttles but would rather get an aftermarket one (pref. an alluminium one) to replace the stock one, which is a cheap plastic one. I did not notice that there are only 2 small screws holding the throttle tube and grip to the main assembly. One of these has since come loose and is long gone. Loktite these.

Those are the main things I have found. If I pick up more stuff I'll add it in

Performance wise they are great. We hit some pretty steep trails and the bike nailed them They are a pretty comfortable ride, not hard in the suspension at all. I will be getting a better battery and an aluminium joker throttle assembly this week, plus giving it a service, by then it should be pretty much run in!

All in all very happy with the bike. I would like to sort out the kickstarter as i dont like relying on the electric start when way off in the bush. If anyone else has encountered/fixed this issue any info would be appreciated!

Picked mine up for 2590, and no I dont think they are ADR compliant There is no compliance stamp that I can see anywhere on the bike, just a generic one with the bikes Make and serial number stamped on it

have you got any pics of the bike and some action pics would be good
cheers jesse

Yep thats it. I

Im trying to upload a pdf with a few Action pics I got off my phone but it does not seem to be working. Will keep trying!

Last edited:
Pics Attached as PDF hopefully:

Due to the interest I will get some close up shots of the bike and some of the problems I picked out!

Last edited:
nice review mate..

but i suggest you tie your bike down with a fork saver of some sort or else your forks will be forked in no time..

Yes I know, The main things I want to upgrade (Fork Savers Included) are

a set of Pro tapers, better grips and better throttle assembly and some BarkBusters

Fork Savers

Better Battery and perhaps and aftermarket CDI

Better Chain

Replace stock air filter with a pod

Among other things :p

it's good to hear that your riding with your mate and exploring, sounds like great fun ;)
good review mate, bike looks mint to
even though it's just wank factor, i am loving the twin exhaust

cheers :)

Yea it has a pretty nice note on it, its a shame about the stickers peeling so soon, every ride some parts peel off a bit more

A bit more on the Kickstarter Issue

Went to ride today, lo and behold the battery was up to its usual tricks again. I decided to give the kicker a try, so i put it back on.

15 minutes and a dead leg later I decided to roll start it. They are impossible to start from cold (or maybe im just weak!)

After it had warmed up it was alot easier to kick over, but the kick starters arc of travel (see terrible ascii below:

JAP

==
//
//
//
||

CHINA

---- ==
|___|

Made it near impossible to get the engine to crank. I did manage to get it going twice, but pretty much wrecked myself in the process! as they are a rip off of the CR 250, I would be interested in knowng if a kickstarter off one would fit the China. If anyone has a CR and can get a pick of the engine and kickstarter to me it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
after the ruring in time he will be able to start with the kick starter

Viper

Thanks for the info mate. I'll have a look into that Kickstarter, nice! And a crf sticker kit could be the go!, would also look pretty good without the stickers, just straight black!

Rivvs

Yes it will be easier once its properly run in, but the crap angle will ensure that even after the run in it will always be a pain in the ring to start, it just does not have enough travel in it to give the engine a good crank. especially if you have arthritis in your spine like i do, makes things a bit harder!

thats okay mate, and yeah the straight black would look pritty good :)
looks like a decent bike for it's price

Latest posts

Back