Custom 10" Z160ho Dirt Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj_

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been floating around for a few months now, finially got decent internet so I thought Id start a build thread.

I have a 09 yz250f for mx but I was after somthing to muck around with mates and for the Ms to ride. I've got a mate with a 50 track in his back yard, and hes got a 88 kited CRF with all the trick bits and after a few sunday arvo sessions at his a was hooked.

I bought a junk geniune thumpstar 120 which was flogged. I started with a a few upgrades for that, but now have decide to build a custom bike from scratch for fun.

Main parts are:

-Thumpstar alloy frame and swing arm - zippy168
-GPX black label 660mm
-Fastace shock 58ar -270
-z160ho with 28 oko - mattyB
- Red plastics and Apline Stars graphics from mattyB

Heres a pic with the motor bolted in

img0363tt.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-09-16

Front end going on.

img0368vn.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-09-16

Back end

img0374qk.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-09-16

img0373hf.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-09-16

Still got a couple things to:

Exhuast - half done, need to mount muffler
Rear brake setup - have made lever, will post pics but the rear brake from the 120 thumpstar is stuffed. Need to sus something

Clutch cable - bought 1 from dhz for that motor, but there isn'y enough slack to mount to my levers..

Need another rear wheel, but dunno where to source that. 12mm axel with a disc seems tricky to find

Let me know what ya think.

Cheers

Wow mate a truly awesome build, with those quality parts you will have no probs smashing the track!

reps bro!

The disc tabs are a little smaller i think , would just have to weld abit of alloy to make it stick out further.

Cheers guys, should go alright :p

Looking forward to getting it going, has been a challenge.

Hey guys,

No one like a build thread without updates!

So I have sorted out the last few of my problems.

I bought an exhaust but think it was for a crf style head or something, because the bend was wrong. Bought another pipe, for a big-bore thinking it would fit and it was the same bend :11doh:

Fix this problem with an oxy, and some custom bends.. lol
The pipe squished a bit doing this, but I figured that more back pressure would help the 160cc be more rideable, plus I've got to get the bike running for the weekend.

img0419am.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-11-15

The other main problem I had was the rear brake. I made a bracket, and pedal to fit and stole the brake system off the thumpstar 120 I first bought, however it wouldn't bleed up. After buy another setup that didnt fit and debating and researching drum setups it turns out the front and rear caliper are the same on the thumpstar, so I swaped them and cut down and re threaded the master cylinder push rode on the spare brake setup.

img0388bz.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-11-15

img0416.jpg

By cj_001 at 2011-11-15

So at the moment she's looking almost ready to go. I've got a 26mm OKO lined up, which I think will be less over kill then the 28mm and seeing a mechanic mate on thursday night for some jetting/ backyard testing.

Cheers

Camo

160 wil be way too powerfull for a 10', id love one but it'd put you on back wheel every gear change

Should be a little ripper with the 160cc lol.

Heres a pic of it all bolted together

Went to test ride it last night and the universal throttle cable snaped for the second time. My soldering skills must need improving! So hopefully get it sorted tonight at a mates house.

Update:

Well I took the bike out to a mates to get the jetting right. Couldnt get the 28mm OKO to work, I think the pilot was way to big so end up bolting on a keihin of some sort from my mates 106 kit and now she runs smooth and sounds like a 450!

My mate has 2.5 acres, so in the process I went for some drag racing runs. The rear brake still wasn't sorted, and with a combination of lose bars and no rear brake I almost went through a fence fourth gear flatout. Binned it just before the fence and snaped the bendy clutch lever clean off, and rashed my arm and shink good and propper.

So Now she is running sweet, and ridculously fast! Just need to sort out the rear brake!
After a few attempts at disc setups, and not being able to bleed them up or find parts for a 12mm axel disc setup I think I'm gonna run a drum setup.

Cheers

Cam

Latest posts

Back