custom crf build help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigdog85

Reaction score
hey im new to this and just need some info. im thinking of starting a custom build using a crf50 frame ive found the engine i want its a 20hp 175cc and fits the frame perfect, i was just wondering what steps do i have to take to turn the bike into a bigfoot,? im 6ft 75kg so i need the height. this will be my first build and just thought i would do it for a bit of fun, basicly i dont know ****. im pretty mechanicl so putting it all together isnt the problem im just not sure what i need. anyhelp would be much appreciated!!
once this build is done i have a linmax 150-3 quad i wanna rebuild with bigger engine, tyres ect but dont wanna start a quad yet as it seems like a bigger job(just wanna get a feel for building first)

Firstly Welcome to MR !!!

Now, if you want a bigfoot style bike I wouldn't start with a CRF50 frame !!!

Is the frame a genuine Honda crf50 frame ??? OR ???

Bigfoot frames have different geometry to a mini frame and this is why if you want the bike to handle then your best to start with a bigfoot style frame !!!

The CRF frame would probably be to short to run true bigfoot wheels which are 17" front, 14" rear and a 17" wheel whould more then likely hit the head of your motor and running a A style swingarm just would be right on a big foot in many ways.....

If its a true crf50 frame they are fairly weak and putting a "20HP" motor in it is asking for trubble LOL....

Maybe re-think the idear and if it is a big foot you still really want then I would sell what you have and buy a bigfoot frame to start with and go from there....

I'm also 6ft and have no issue riding non bigfoot bikes... even a true 10/10 CRF50 mini is very ridable with a few aftermarket parts like tall seat and higher bar kit...

Anyways, if you have any other questions just ask away...

If you want a bigfoot you need:

klx110 or crf70 style frame, (wouldnt recommend a crf70 frame though, looks queer as a bigfoot)

730mm length front forks, to allow the large 17" wheels to fit.

Extended rear swingarm to allow for a larger rear wheel.

I would not recommend building a bigfoot though, the parts are hard to source and its difficult to get good quality swingarms and wheels, unless you source expensive jap parts.

Maybe look at getting an Atomik Reign Bigfoot off ebay. It would certainly save a bit of coin,

Building a bike takes a ton of time effort and money, so not the best option for everyone.

Regards,

Carlton

Hey thanks for the help, im still going to go ahead with the build but im staying away from trying to go bigfoot. the frame isnt a a genuine Honda crf50 theres a couple diffrent ones im considering

Chrome High Strength Steel (CRF50 Style) (EK26) - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts thats the high strength steel one

Light Alloy frame (CRF50 Style) EK29 - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts and this is the light alloy

im still thinking of the 175cc so i was thinking the high strengh steel would be a better option.
instead of the 10/10 tyre option how do you think the 14/12 would go?
i have another pitbike thats crf50 style frame and thats running 14/12 and that seems fine.
i know a build takes alot of time and money but its something im into so im willing.
the idea is to have a reasonably stock looking bike that tears the arse outta everything :)

also if anyone wants a linmax 150-3 quad i have one for sale if i dont sell it im just gunna make it into something retarted and dangerous :)
cheers again
dave.

if you want crf 50 style and dont want to spend big bux buy the EK29 it looks alot better then the other one... and 14 /12 is the go with this frame....

if you want to spend big bux buy EK37 !!! I had a bike built from this frame and it was awesome... could not fault it in any way...

I also like EK33, it would make a KLX style A swingarm bike !! I wouldn't mind makeing a muck around bike using one of these .....

but yeah EK26 looks like it may have a little to much rack on it... it may just be the pic but yeah to me it looks out... it's also not a cradle frame sooo.....

either way it's up to you man... just puttin out a few things I would be lookin at if it was me lookin....

Hey mate,

just looking at those frames and I wouldn't recommend them simply for the fact that they don't come with a cradle, this is gonna add a ton of unnecessary amount of stress on the frame,

As far as 14/12 inch wheels ets go, they are a good option as tyres rims and spoke it are readily available,

I'm running a Kenda Carlsbad front and Dunlop rear and am extremely happy them so far.

Also it would pay to look at peoples builds on here as many have already done the hard yards and figured out the right way to things, often the hard way, I know I have lol

Have you considered a klx 14/12 inch build? They look good and they run beauifullly as well as giving that better seating position compared to he crf50's

If you want it to stay looking small then why not do what pb suggested and go a klx frame with an A-style swinger, not sure if u'll be able to keep 14/12 then but worth looking into:

klx a-style:
Chromoly Frame With Alloy Swingarm EK33 - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts

klx style:
Chromoly Frame KLX style EK36 - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts

It helps alot if you get the swinger with the frame but it is not a must.

I might do a write in the next few days about building bikes, seems alot are going this way and it would help to give them some help before they start, I know I wasted alot of time and money on things that were stupid.

Anyways Good luck

Carlton

Pritty sure the EK29 does have a cradle.... it go's in between where the foot pegs mount...

I had a better look at the KLX A swingarm setup and it is the style I like but that frame looks like it's one that the bottom tube is not a tube but a flat sheet bent to make the left side side wall then to look like a tube on the bottom and flat again to make up the right side side wall.... we all know these frame rip easy near where the top motor mount is....

pitty really cause that would have been a cool setup I reckon...

My bad, cheers pb the EK29 does have a cradle... nice frame in my opinion.

Hey thanks for the help, im still going to go ahead with the build but im staying away from trying to go bigfoot. the frame isnt a a genuine Honda crf50 theres a couple diffrent ones im considering

Chrome High Strength Steel (CRF50 Style) (EK26) - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts thats the high strength steel one

Light Alloy frame (CRF50 Style) EK29 - Frames & Swingarm - Performance Parts and this is the light alloy

im still thinking of the 175cc so i was thinking the high strengh steel would be a better option.
instead of the 10/10 tyre option how do you think the 14/12 would go?
i have another pitbike thats crf50 style frame and thats running 14/12 and that seems fine.
i know a build takes alot of time and money but its something im into so im willing.
the idea is to have a reasonably stock looking bike that tears the arse outta everything :)

also if anyone wants a linmax 150-3 quad i have one for sale if i dont sell it im just gunna make it into something retarted and dangerous :)
cheers again
dave.

the EK26 frame i think will be too short in the front of the frame, a Z175 or any klx style engine will hit a 14' front tyre. they even hit with 140's in them.
not to mention the 26 frame will be weak as theres no real bracing in the frame at all.
also the 26 frame in the pics looks alloy and not high strength steel, its also to suit a mono style swing arm...

i'd go either EK29 or EK33. the 29 has a removable cradle, not the best idea but better than nothing..

hey my experiance with the zog175 isnt that great there to rough and unreliable i think the z160ho would be a better choice

I got a CAT cradle i think it was for 100 bucks off ebay but i have that on my stocka.. just an idea though

Latest posts

Back