Custom Z50, Ongoing project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custom

Reaction score
Ive decided after constant sugestions to take my Z50 back to origional to make it a full custom bike just to annoy the traditionalists:D
I already fitted a china 125, 10" wheels, CRF style forks, GS125 bars and rear shocks (not pictured)
Im starting this thread to show all the mods i make from this point on.
Before pic:
Zfini.jpg

Now come the major mods:p
First up an Earls Link front and disc brake front wheel.

You can get dents out of the tank by filling it with water then plonking it in a freezer ....... the water expands and presses them out but you might have to do it a few times ..... you can also use that method to get dents out of exhaust pipes ........

I like the fab'd intake manifold !!!!!! Did you notice any performance increase from it being straighter and longer ????

cant risk anything but bog in that tank, it was rusty as buggery and rather thin in places lol. Yeah the manifold made a huge difference, you can feel it come in about midrange and if your just right squeezing the throttle she will lift the front wheel:D

EarlsLink.jpg

got the legs almost sorted, just need to shorten the rear sections, trim, guset and make and attach the pivots
I know it aint pretty, this is more to test the theroy and i'll be making the pretty one when i get some 28mm 3-4 mm pipe if it handles ok

Last edited:
put the telos back in, had an attack of riding withdrawls, practised stunting in the back yard, came off, hit shed, buggered shoulder, kept trying, made shoulder worse, parked bike and sat down here.

put the telos back in, had an attack of riding withdrawls, practised stunting in the back yard, came off, hit shed, buggered shoulder, kept trying, made shoulder worse, parked bike and sat down here.

hahahhaa.. nice i like a running commentry ;) NOW MAKE WITH THE VIDEO!! :D

guna have to wait till the missus gets back for video unless i tape the cam to the side of my head lol:p

maybe them CR forks were alittle to long :eek:
choppered002.jpg

CAN NOT KEEP FRONT WHEEL DOWN!!!!!!!

next up...shorten the springs:D

well ive cut 2" out of the fork springs and the handleing is much better. I could actually power on through a turn without under steer...untill thisarvo
flywheel.jpg

240g off the flywheel makes a HUGE difference:D
i wish i knew them bits unbolted earlyer:eek:

Well time to fire up this old thread again. The whole Earls Link idea has been caned and the Z is getting tuned from dirt dog to road racer:D.
First up some more recent pics
High bars and low exhaust
23-12-07_1403.jpg

Now the tank damage after a recent highside
25-01-08_1301.jpg

The plan is to finish off the twin exhaust i started on months ago, refit the GS 125 alloy bars, 1/4 turn throttle, swapped dad my 19mm carb for his 22mm as he is selling his bike, road tyres and better suspension.
As for the cosmetics. The tank will be getting bogged and resprayed in Absinth yellow pending replacement, the seat recovered, shocks and fork legs cleaned up and polished pending replacement, frame and swinger bare metal resprayed in gloss black and custom made guards front and rear.
Probably the most important important mod i will be making inspite of the fact it will only be temperary is making steering stops. As the forks i am running have the stop lugs on the front and the frame having the lug on the back of the stem ( hence the tank damage:eek: )

GS125 bars and 1/4turn refitted
01-02-08_1355.jpg

Better pic of the 1/4
01-02-08_1334.jpg

next up, remove tank, strip back, bog and paint:p

Fitted the 22mm carb and had a quick test ride..HUGE difference over the 19 and starts easyer to:D Might have to take it off again and remove the choke lol

all this work you keep jibbbering on about an it still looks like a dump special
stop talking about these mods, get them finished and then take some pics. that way it won't look like you stole it from a homeless kid.

Moto-x if you dont like it dont read it and by the way..it is a dump special:D
Next installment, ive got the tank striped down and regret it already lol
04-02-08_1357.jpg

04-02-08_1356.jpg

04-02-08_1355.jpg

Alot of bog and brazing in this tank. Found a few pin holes under the bog that will have to be soldered. Dents will be rebogged untill i have the coin for a new tank

Last edited:
lol yeah thought about it but i wana keep the shorter wheel base:D

all this work you keep jibbbering on about an it still looks like a dump special
stop talking about these mods, get them finished and then take some pics. that way it won't look like you stole it from a homeless kid.

Ill pay that comment, I mean, Thats not a nice thing to say lol. good to see my forks are still going strong, if those springs are getting a little soft i got you some replacment valve springs that should fit.lol.

yo sup

Nice work there how did you get the crf or xr wheels to fit

Latest posts

Back