Daytona 4v Kick Starter Assembly

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanq

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I try to kick start my Daytona Anima 4V 150F about 50% of the time the kick starter slips and you can hear it grinding.

I figured the shear gear had died so I have ordered a new kick starter assembly however, I was wondering how hard it is to install? Do I have to split the case or can I just remove a side cover? I checked on the forums for an answer but I couldn't find any.

Also I ordered the decomp kit and will put that in at the same time.

Cheers,

vanq

Welcome to Miniriders,

Drop in and say hello in out Introduce Yourself thread too while you're here
http://www.miniriders.com/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

If it's anything like my 190 used to do, it's the clutch basket gear that has some chipped teeth.
you need to take the clutch cover off to replace the clutch basket.

luckily i found all the broken teeth in the bottom of the case

and also lucky i had a spare gear to replace it with, i drilled out the rivets, tapped out the basket and made it serviceable

and this thread covers what i did to fix it
http://www.miniriders.com/motor-tut...inxiang-yx150-yx160-clutch-basket-repair.html

Once you have it fixed, make sure you kick it over from just past TDC too.
Well i guess the Decomp kit should solve a bit of the problem

Cheers, Craig

Craig you are an absolute champ! I am going to print this and pull the cover off tomorrow, thanks mate!

If you find it is the Kicker gears, then they can be replaced easily enough without splitting the cases.
Just drain the oil, remove the kickstart lever, and the whole R/H clutch cover needs to come off, then the clutch basket needs to come off to get to the 3 kickstart gears
And dont forget to search for any broken bits, under the oil filter screen, in around the r/h oil filter on the cover, or in the l/h oil filter.

In the 190 PDF below (pretty much the same as the 150), look on page #31, part number 3, page #33, part number 5, page #36, the gear on the l/h side
Page #32 shows what you need to take off for the clutch cover
Page #31 shows the clutch, you'll need the clutch nut tool too

like this

or this- 2 Size Clutch Tool - Pit Bike Engine Parts - CLUTCH KITS - WHS-2274 - TBolt USA, LLC

Attachments

• DaytonaAnima190 (1).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • DaytonaAnima150.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hey Craig, is that a 20mm Clutch Removal tool?

Good question, i have a feeling it was the bigger one 29.xx mm ? but i'm not 100% sorry

Hi all,

I pulled the clutch cover off yesterday and found no broken teeth on the clutch basket or the starter gears. The only sign of slipping that I could see was on the sliding gear which had very slight wear on the teeth.

I am so confused though, the kick starter was slipping really badly but nothing inside is that badly damaged or worn.

I have a new kick starter assembly however, I cant get the old one out. The hole that the sliding gear sits in is to small for the thing the spring hooks onto to pull through. I can see how to get it out without splitting the cases.

Sorry I should have taken some photos, I'll see if I can today.

Am I missing something? I also tried to just replace the sliding gear but even with the cir-clip removed it wont slide over the shaft.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ok never mind it helps to take a break and have another look, the small gear behind the clutch basket has 1 missing tooth! Thanks everyone for your help!

Also has anyone fitted the De-Comp Cam? Any tricks to that? Is it fairly straight forward?

I haven't done it, but make sure it is at TDC before pulling it apart.
Loosen the bolts holding the gear to the end of the camshaft first, then remove the timing chain self adjuster on the cylinder.
Once the new cam is in, the gear and the timing chain is on, reset the timing chain tensioner you took off earlier by taking the centre bolt and spring out.
Then push the little toothed ratchet tab at the bottom of the tensioner in so you can release the tension before refitting it.
Refit it into the cylinder and tighten the 2x outside retaining bolts, now fit the spring and bolt and nip it up.
as you fit the spring you should hear the ratchet adjusting the timing chain tension.

And make sure once you have swapped the decomp cam/gear etc in that you adjust the valve clearances to specs, and turn it over by hand to make sure nothing is hitting before trying to start it

Vanq, did you end up getting the Decomp cam kit and fitting it to your engine ?
I'm just interested to see how it is going, and how much easier it makes it to start.

Yeah I got it fitted, like someone mentioned earlier it already had the Cam fitted and I could just install the decomp fittings on the cam gear.

TBH I have noticed no difference :( I cant just kick it through TDC, still have to push the kick starter just past TDC before kick. I dont know how I could have stuffed it up so I guess it is working (the decomp bits moved freely) but yeah not worth the cost.

When I fitted one to my 150 it was still as hard on the first kick but as long as you were quick with the second kick you could keep kicking it on through!!

Latest posts

Back