Detroit 170cc opinions?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jope22

Reaction score
I would get this engine or 160yx so opinions needed.Is there FAKE yx engines available? Just tought that i would buy 160cc from CWbikes UK or Detroit from WPB.Any power differences and reliability issues?

never heard of a Detroit brand pitbike engine, I'd say its a yx 170cc...

Yep that what i tought just thought getting Z155 or YX160 or Detroit 170.Z155 has cool revlimiter though :) Detroit seems just little betterer because more torque but still debating between yx160 or z155.Also is there available Fake Z155 or yx engines? One shop sells them for 635 and one for 550.Detroit is 600euros

z155 has no rev limiter, thats valve float and bad for the engine!!
All these china engines ARE copies of Jap engines,Those price differences could be for just engine or engine including loom,manifold,kickstart,gearlever etc etc...

Just people say that it has rev limiter just before valve bounce on the new z3 160 and m2r 160 bikes.I could by the Z155 or yx160 too just unsure which one is betterer and im Sh*t choosing these kinds of things with no info at all which one is better.I know how to maintenance it and all that stuff tho.

maybe the new z155 does have limiter, they older ones just needed stiffer valve springs.
never had a yx160, but love both my z155's, one is stock and other has v2head.
Easy to find parts for both engines, from what ive heard over the years the yx revs a little more than the Z, but the Z
has more torque.
I say get the Z155.....haha

Pretty sure these Detroit 170’s are a KAYO 170 basically a copy of a yx160 just with a different head
there not as popular as yx160 or z155 probly coz there not made as good Who knows
There are other 170’s that are basically yx150’s with a big bore kits

Your 100% better off goin either a yx160 or z155 they are powerful engines and proven to last and both have great aftermarket upgrades

Just searched that KAYO 170 and the 170 isnt my choice anymore.Just seems like more cheaper made than YX160/Z155HO.Also in finland or in europe i didnt find ANY pistons or parts for the 170 so doesnt sound good.I have good suplly of parts for YX160/Z155Ho.In 160 just worried about the kickback if i crack the cases and about the seller.The Z155ho just looks way beefier but the 160 would be nice with upgrade capabilities.For me the CWBikes yx160 looks sketchy not sure why? Might be bad photo or something.ill attach the link below.Now about the oil,i found shop close to me and he sells Castrol and valvoline oils? He sells like Castrol GPS 4T 10w-40 and also Valvoline synpower for bikes and durablend 10w-40s.Now for the links
YX160:https://cwbikes.co.uk/store/#!/YX160cc-engine-package/p/75820809/category=21641595
Z155HO:https://www.pitbikeparts.co.uk/zongshen-z155-engine-carb-loom-18bhp-p-1636.html
and no worries i will buy oil cooler with these and magnetic sump plug.Might buy one of those metal oil filters what i could just clean using petrol or diesel or with just airgun.Sorry for grammar errors im not native speaker of english :)

You don’t need to worry about the cases dude go with he one that’s cheaper for you and easier for you to Get
both those sites are pretty good pitbikes are real big in the uk I’ve seen a lot of people with cw bikes and welsh pitbikes so your better off goin thru either one of them

The price difference is only about 20-30£ so not much.The cw would just be easier because i dont need to message the seller and wait for response the cwbikes website has UPS delivery and all of the text is in finnish and it calculates the shipping price automaticly so maybe that. im just comparing the Power/Durability ratio here and thanks for answer!

All good mate yeah there is minor differences between the 2 engines
Just go with cw then if it’s easier for ya

Just let us no if you need any other advice :)

So just bought Z155Ho from pbp.How should i run it in and how long? Any problems to be aware of? How much oil goes in about? Thanks in advance!

Nice dude congrats

Straight away drop the oil that’s in it clean the oil filter and replace the spark plug
You wanna put 750ml be sure to check your valve clearance
Everyone has slightly different way to break in a new engine
I always break mine in hard
Basically let it warm up for about 15-20minutes then go for a big ride basically go thru the gears But don’t let it rev out then drop the oil and clean you oil filter again and Have another look at your valve clearance you’ll see some metal fillings don’t panic that completely normal put
Some fresh oil in and your good then just maintain it every service

I couldnt sleep at nights because i was thinking between yx160 and z155 lol.
The engine should be in finland next week :)
I will adjust the valves with feeler gauges.I will just use conventional or semisynthetic for running in because i dont want to put too expensive oil when i know i am going to change it soon.

So now got the engine and seems like the valves need adjusting, my z155 has two notches on the block. I think I should line up the T line with the notch but not sure which one? One notch/mark in the block is straight at 12`clock and one at 9´clock. And now for wiring not sure which one goes to which one? inthe loom i have 4 wires going for the magneto? 2 wires which are Pink and Green/white and other connector with Black/red and Red/white, other wires from the loom are Yellow/black and green ones what are grounds for the 1 wire coil I have. Then i have the 2 slot killswitch connector and then 4 pin connector with 2 wires attached, Black/white and Green. The killswitch has the same wire colors as the 4 pin connector one.Sorry for errors and stuff.

Also how sensitive is the clutch? do i need lot of the freeplay that it has? it first turns over easy and then gets hard basicly my hydraulic clutch is adjusted right when it gets stiff so i think its ok?

for valve adj you line the T marking on the flywheel with the notch on the case at 12 o'clock and marking on cam gear at 9 o'clock, has to be on compression stroke.
turn flywheel anticlockwise until the inlet valve (top) goes down then back up again, keep turning until the markings line up again and now you're on compression stroke and ready to adjust the valves........003" inlet and .004" exhaust.

So i have got the engine working .It starts ok but not best.Valves are adjusted correct and all that sort of stuff. Takes like 7 kick from cold with choke but that isnt problem starts with 2 or 4 kicks warm. Needs fiddling with the carb it runs and idles good but with 1/2 of the thorttle it bogs little and then it pulls like train, such awesome engine. Just worried did i hurt the engine today? I had driven 30 miles with variable rpms sometimes pulling hard and then decelerating down.My thorttle cable got stuck and the engine hit the limiter,i immidiately turned the engine off.It was on limiter like 1 or 0.5 seconds and the engine was warm. The engine still runs and pull like before so i think everything is fine. I get also lot of backfiring. I think reason for that is that i dont have exhaust gasket on.Otherwise than that its such awesome engine and pulls like train and revs nice.
When the engine hit limiter when the cable got stuck it had the 30miles driven in with semihard riding and about 2hours of use. Just asking what breaks first in these engines? How usually should i replace the piston? Piston isnt expensive and its easy to replace.

you shouldn't run it at all without exhaust gasket!!, you are lucky it runs without one.....
what carb do you have on it?
I have a stock 155ho with 75 hours on it and still on original piston, depends how hard you ride it, if you maintain service it regularly should get 50 hrs easy from a piston..
like all these engines the kickstart gears are the first thing to fail but only if you use wrong starting technique.
only thing I've had to replace on any of mine is clutch, spark plugs.
i've never broken the kickstart gears but I replace them with new ones when replacing the clutch.

Latest posts

Back