Dhz 140 vs Nitrous 160

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8r3nd0

Sinister 50's
Reaction score
Hi all just thought id put my two bucks worth in and do a comparisson on these two budget bikes. For alot of people out there they just want a bike they can smash around on, paddock bash, bush bash what ever keeps them happy. I was one of these people.
Now for the bikes:

Atomik Nitrous 160
First up all i have to say is holy crap this bike has balls and paired up with a oko and 1/4 throttle it is a little monster compared to my old 125 anyway. The bike is actually not to bad but it really does need a lot of extra attention straight away like throwing away the stock bars, new chain mine stretched like crazy in two rides, new tyres, forged kick start the compression i this sucker is crazy, and finally the shock and forks they are horrible i did an oil change and some extra things to try and fix them but in the end they are still crap to ride with. Make sure to drop the oil as well as there was heaps of metal in mine.

PROS.
Heaps of power

CONS.
Bars
Suspension
Frame
Auto cam chain tensioner

Dhz Dpro 140
At first glance you can see the quality over the Nitrous. The bike is bigger and feels better because of this, the suspension is good both front and back and the bike still goes pretty hard compared to the 160. Dont get me wrong the 160 just eats the back tyre but sometimes in the bush or on a track its just not needed. The Dhz dosent really need anything changed straight up but of course its a good idea to do normal upgrades eventually. A heavy duty chain would be best thing to change first. The bike started second kick from box unlike the Nitrous and the valves were set perfect again unlike the Nitrous. Which had barely any clearance at all. The oil came out clean as which was a surprise.

PROS
Suspension
Size
FrameQuality

CONS
Nothing really maybe graphics

To finish up imo the Dhz is the bike to go if your spending around $1200 the only thing that makes the Nitrous good is the fact that you can pick one up cheap from ebay auctions like i did but with the extra cash you save it all goes back into making the bike rideable. I got my Nitrous for $700 but ended spending another $600 on upgrades. The Dhz you can get for $1200, i got a good deal in store but the quality is just hands down better, not as much power because of course its a 140 but im willing to sacrifice power for quality. Its up to you of course!

One extra thing to mention is that the Atomik is really loud both exhaust and engine wise the cam chain is as noisy as hell, my bike in fact has got this really bad noise coming out of it after the last ride and cant find what it is. It still goes perfect and just as hard but sounds terrible. Couldn't be bothered completely pulling it down and finding the noise so im just gonna ride it till it says no more. The Dhz just starts and goes without any problems.

Below are some pics of the bikes the one with the red seat is the Nitrous and the other is the Dhz.

Last edited:
Nice review man, as for the engine it could be the valve clearances need doing? If you get it sorted it would be cool to transplant the 160 into the DHZ. It's a bike with geometry that can handle the extra cc's better!

Hey Carlts thanks man, ive checked the clearance, cam chain, carb and all the basic stuff the noise sounds like its coming from behind the magneto. What ever it is it does seem it effect the way the bike runs thou, its strange as hell. Do you have any other ideas!

cam chain may have stretched? could also be one of the bolts behind the magneto has come loose and is stuck behind the magneto. This happened to a mates yx140 and while everything else was fine it made a horrible noise until we investigated and pulled the magneto off. see the piccy below for engine casing without magneto on. As for other causes it may be internal gears? eek hope not lol

DSCI0229-2.jpg

I hope not to but if so i'll probly swap the engines over and get a new z160ho and put it in the Dpro until then we will see what happens. Ill check the bolts behind the magneto next time ive got some time. Cheers mate.

without hearing the noise its hard to comment...

could be the magneto just hitting on the pickup sensor so it would need extra clearance... wind the magneto round till the timing lug on the magneto is in line with the outer pickup sensor.
loosen the 2 screws on the sensor and use a business card to set the clearance. tighten the screws and check for noise again..

it could also be a stator coil screw coming loose...

or it could be just that the 160 engines are a noisy engine, post a video and let us hear it..

Latest posts

Back